Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicare and Tax File Number

Medicare and Tax File Number

Old Aug 17th 2007, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Wilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really nice
Default Medicare and Tax File Number

Just wondering - when I get to Brisbane and need to sort out my Medicare and Tax File Number I have no idea where to get them from!!

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old Aug 17th 2007, 10:39 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicare and Tax File Number

Originally Posted by Wilso16
Just wondering - when I get to Brisbane and need to sort out my Medicare and Tax File Number I have no idea where to get them from!!

TFN online. Medicare from a local medicare office

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/...d_us/mol.shtml
Old Aug 17th 2007, 10:42 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

driving license. 10 mins at the local service centre.
Library Card ( good for free internet ). 5 mins at any city lib

Most of these things will need passport+proof of address ( tenant agreement )+credit card to prove who you are.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Watty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to all

[Hi

Just go on to Medicare website and look for nearest office, lots are in Shopping centres. We did ours in WA in June and went within 1st week so we just needed passport with visa in it. She just checks the computer which told her when we entered Oz. We didnt need proof of address. Took us 15 mins.

As above go on to TFN website and as you are a migrant you do it online. I made the mistake of going into the post office and getting the form and when I read then it told me I need to do it online.

Just a bit of info (maybe WA only) - driving licence - we didnt need to do test but needed passport & UK driving lic (photocard without paper copy suffice) but because we didnt have a proof of address our friends that we were staying with let us use their address and came with us and signed as document. Otherwise landlord/rental tenancy agreement, bank account letter good proof.

Bank account - ANZ let us use passport as id and proof of residence suffice, didnt need any other proof (there is a timelimit for this - think 7 or 14 days).

Hope this helps

Old Aug 18th 2007, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wilso16

We came on a 457 and needed to produce our NHS medical cards before they would issure us our medicare card.....
Old Aug 18th 2007, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Watty'n'Arls
Bank account - ANZ let us use passport as id and proof of residence suffice, didnt need any other proof (there is a timelimit for this - think 7 or 14 days).

It's 6 weeks
Old Aug 18th 2007, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all

The medicare centre is on the 2nd floor of the Myer centre (very easy to find) it takes about 30 mins depending on queues.

The tax file number can be done online so you'll need an address to send it to.

In case you need it aswell you can change your drivers licence at the Queensland Transport centre just off Elizabeth Street (also very easy to find) it takes about 30mins-1hour depending on queues again. This does get very busy and just a note of warning - if there are 2 of you (i.e. couple) going to the same counter take 2 tickets as you go in as they got very shirty with a few couples that kept doing this when we were there. We used the address of an apartment we were staying with to do our licences and you can easily update your details online when you get your actual residential address.

It's really easy to sort this when in Brisbane as everything is really accessible. Loads of internet cafes if you need to get online and if you have your own laptop then go to the IS Cafe in the Queen Street Mall as they have FREE internet access

Last edited by Stella340; Aug 18th 2007 at 12:24 pm.