Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Urgent please - who do you use if you need to get back to the UK quickly?

Urgent please - who do you use if you need to get back to the UK quickly?

Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold
Default Urgent please - who do you use if you need to get back to the UK quickly?

Hi. Having only been here 6 weeks or so, it looks like I might have to make one of those horrible trips back already. My dad is seriously ill and I have been told to expect the worst. Can anyone recommend a travel agent, or are any of the airlines particularly good with this? It looks like a flexible ticket will cost a fortune. Any advice gratefully received.

Martha
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:36 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Urgent please - who do you use if you need to get back to the UK quickly?

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
Hi. Having only been here 6 weeks or so, it looks like I might have to make one of those horrible trips back already. My dad is seriously ill and I have been told to expect the worst. Can anyone recommend a travel agent, or are any of the airlines particularly good with this? It looks like a flexible ticket will cost a fortune. Any advice gratefully received.

Martha
you want to ask for a bereavement fare i believe
a friend did this with Qantas a couple of years ago, still paid about $2.5k but they got him on the next day

take care
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Urgent please - who do you use if you need to get back to the UK quickly?

Thanks. Just to make things worst I need to get to Cork, and I think only BA and Quantas will ticket right through. I can really do without having to change airports in London.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:49 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Thanks. Just to make things worst I need to get to Cork, and I think only BA and Quantas will ticket right through. I can really do without having to change airports in London.
yes, you're right you don't want any messing about with flights
at the end of the day it isn't worth scouting around for a lower price imo, just call one of those two explain your situation and i should hope they'll see you right
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:51 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

when do you want to leave?
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:02 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Martha

I'm in just this situation too. Looked online and there didn't seem to be any availability at all (Brissie to London). Went to Flight Centre and spent ages there while the girl tried to find something for me. The earliest I could get was Friday 24 August (going via Sydney) with Qantas. She said she could get me out of Aus to Asia no probs but it was the onward flights to the UK that were the problem. Mind you I did need 2 seats as my son is going with me. We can alter the return date at no charge.
Cost was $3200 each
It's a horrible situation to be in isn't it - my son is all excited about going and I keep feeling like bursting into tears
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Ring Qantas, tell them the reasons for going, and see what they can do. Very good when I had to do it last year.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:09 am

If you dont want to change airport in London...you could go Sydney-Manchester-Cork.......dunno if that is any easier
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies - and I'm sorry for your loss Nicstids. I want to go via London as I may was well stop off and see OHs family on the way back seeing as I've got that far! Regarding when I want to leave, I'm not 100% sure at the moment; it's turning into one of those nightmare family things. My sister thinks I'm nuts to even consider the trip on the basis of "there's nothing you can do". I saw him just before we left in May so it's not a case of trying to make it while he'll still alive to say my goodbyes - I've been at the bedside of one dying parent so far and know that the chances of them even knowing you are there are slim. I love him dearly, we had a great relationship, I don't need to see him again but I do need to be there for his funeral. My sister is talking about "doing it all quietly and telling people afterwards" - why? He lives in a small country village where people expect to be able to go to the funeral home, pay their respects, walk behing the coffin to the church etc. etc. My mum (who died 4 years ago) grew up there and people have been very good to my dad who has been living on his own for the past few years. He wouldn't come to the UK to live with us and my sister, who lives in Dublin, certainly wasn't offering. Trouble is funerals are arranged very quickly in Ireland (usually within 48 hours) which barely gives me time to get there. I'm going to phone the hospital later today when it's morning there and try and make a call then. I knew this would happen sooner or later but wasn't expecting it quite so soon!

Martha
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:26 am

Thanks for the replies - and I'm sorry for your loss Nicstids. I want to go via London as I may was well stop off and see OHs family on the way back seeing as I've got that far! Regarding when I want to leave, I'm not 100% sure at the moment; it's turning into one of those nightmare family things. My sister thinks I'm nuts to even consider the trip on the basis of "there's nothing you can do". I saw him just before we left in May so it's not a case of trying to make it while he'll still alive to say my goodbyes - I've been at the bedside of one dying parent so far and know that the chances of them even knowing you are there are slim. I love him dearly, we had a great relationship, I don't need to see him again but I do need to be there for his funeral. My sister is talking about "doing it all quietly and telling people afterwards" - why? He lives in a small country village where people expect to be able to go to the funeral home, pay their respects, walk behing the coffin to the church etc. etc. My mum (who died 4 years ago) grew up there and people have been very good to my dad who has been living on his own for the past few years. He wouldn't come to the UK to live with us and my sister, who lives in Dublin, certainly wasn't offering. Trouble is funerals are arranged very quickly in Ireland (usually within 48 hours) which barely gives me time to get there. I'm going to phone the hospital later today when it's morning there and try and make a call then. I knew this would happen sooner or later but wasn't expecting it quite so soon!

Martha
Have sent you a pm
Old Aug 17th 2007, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

as has been said before, ring airlines direct, they can sort brevement flights out (you need to prove it though either before or after flights) & they do allow you a special price.
i flew from wellington (NZ) to heathrow in dec last yr to attend my grandads funeral & air nz were fab really helpful. cost was around £1000 i think !!
its a horrible situation to be in & you have my sympathies , best wishes to you all xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old Aug 17th 2007, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of light

Martha
go to the airport, they are great at bris we asked at counter for flight to london, two hours later is was on flight it cost 650 uk pounds i think wasn't thinking at time and that was for me and my son, i was looked after really well the airport staff took bags off me and booked them in never ben looked after like that in any air port really caring
Old Aug 17th 2007, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Really sorry to hear about the situation that both Rosscarbery and Nicstids are facing - it must be dreadful for you both.

If the airlines can't help with bereavement flights (which I hope they can), is it worth looking at a less obvious route? My niece recently came over from the UK to visit us at short notice and went back last Sunday - her Dad works for BA so she travels on a staff standby ticket and can only go on flights where there are seats available. All the flights through Singapore and Bangkok were booked solid so she travelled from LHR to Tokyo (Narita) and then on to Brisbane. It is a long way round and does involve quite a long wait in Narita, but if it means you can travel sooner rather than later, it may be worth considering.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

My mother died recently . I couldn't go back because of the dreaded 'flu. 2 of my sons went and flew Emirates. The only flight they could get that let them arrive for the funeral. They were 30 hours intransit, Sydney/Edinburgh, and cost $3000 each ,for the privilege.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

Try these, Martha - www.bestflights.com.au - I just got an email from them offering $1,069 to Dublin going Sept - Nov this year. They say to expect about $450 in taxes, but still a good price, if you can wait a couple of weeks........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.