Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicare Safety Net

Medicare Safety Net

Old Jul 14th 2010, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice
Default Medicare Safety Net

I don't really understand what this is. I think that we registered for it when we joined medicare, but don't really know what it means.

I have looked at their website but it is quite confusing. What does it all mean, we are a couple and I am pregnant, which is why I am looking into it.

Thanks!
Old Jul 14th 2010, 8:38 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Medicare Safety Net

The basic benefit is that once you reach the threshold, any further qualifying medical expenses are reduced by Medicare covering 80% of the extra payments you need to make.

eg:
Before you reach the Threshold, the cost may be:
Doctors fee of $50 less the $32.30 standard Medicare rebate = $17.70 your NET Cost.

After you reach the Threshold, the cost may be:
Doctors fee of $50 less the $32.30 standard Medicare rebate = $17.70, less another 80% of that cost ($17.70 - $14.16) = $3.54 your NET cost

These figures will be slightly different for the current year.

Old Jul 14th 2010, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure your whole family is registered together. It used to be that being on the same Medicare card was not enough...you had to go their website and link family members together so all family expenses counted towards tts same threshold.

Note that Medicare then works out when you cross the threshold and increases your rebate automatically.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

lynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nice

Hi Daydreamer
I am also pregnant and will be moving to Oz next month.
Just to complicate things even more Medicare have a cap on the rebates they will pay on certain items even if you are over the threshhold. For example obstetricians charge a pregnancy management fee at about 20 weeks of about 2-3k (and some charge another big sum at 30 weeks) Medicare will only rebate about 450 dollars (15%) even if you are over the threshhold. This is only relevant if you are going private. If you go public then it sounds like costs are minimal. PM me if you want more details. Where are you having your bub and when are you due?
Good luck
Lynette