Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which is best for families - Melbourne or Sydney?

Which is best for families - Melbourne or Sydney?

Old Jul 14th 2010, 9:24 am
Just Joined

Dammo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which is best for families - Melbourne or Sydney?

Hello BE posters!

I've seen lot's of Sydney versus Melbourne threads, but I'd like to get your opinons on one specific aspect of the rivalry - in your opinion which is the best city out of the two to raise a family in?

A bit about myself - we currently have a two year old daughter, and child number 2 is due imminently(!). We already have PR visa's, and are planning on making the move early next year. My wife and I are both professionals so will most likely work within the CBD of wherever we end up, and we don't want to spend so long communiting we never see the kids. I'm guessing we'll be looking at properties around the £8-900K mark if/when we buy, but we'll be renting when we first arrive anyway.

So - would appreciate anyone's 2c on what sort of things we should be taking into account and which city is most conducive to delivering them.

Cheers!

D.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 9:52 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Which is best for families - Melbourne or Sydney?

Originally Posted by Dammo
Hello BE posters!

I've seen lot's of Sydney versus Melbourne threads, but I'd like to get your opinons on one specific aspect of the rivalry - in your opinion which is the best city out of the two to raise a family in?

A bit about myself - we currently have a two year old daughter, and child number 2 is due imminently(!). We already have PR visa's, and are planning on making the move early next year. My wife and I are both professionals so will most likely work within the CBD of wherever we end up, and we don't want to spend so long communiting we never see the kids. I'm guessing we'll be looking at properties around the £8-900K mark if/when we buy, but we'll be renting when we first arrive anyway.

So - would appreciate anyone's 2c on what sort of things we should be taking into account and which city is most conducive to delivering them.

Cheers!

D.
This will be a hard one to answer as there will be few families that have experienced both first hand.

All I can say is that our part of Melbourne is excellent for families, truly excellent. Our biggest problem at the moment is how do we decide between two brilliant schools both within walking distance (Parkdale and Parktone for anyone who wants to look them up).

What gave Melbourne the edge over Sydney for us was property prices compared to salaries, however I reckon in the 3 years since we've been here that may have evened out a bit.

Good luck with your decision, and please let me know if you want any info on our area.

BB
Old Jul 14th 2010, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all
Default Re: Which is best for families - Melbourne or Sydney?

I dont think one would be better than the other for families, purely down to personal choice.
Both big cities, with a lot to offer and things to do for the kids etc, etc!

So i wouldnt worry about either or on that score.... I would prioritise what city has the best jobs for your occupation...

Both cities are rediculous regarding house prices, especially in central areas to the city!

Good Luck
Old Jul 14th 2010, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Consider smaller cities....can live right next to the city for money that wouldn't get you close in the others....I live 2km away from Brisbane cbd with access to great family facilities as well as everything else and can drop my child at kindy on a bicycle and continue on to work. Far more involved in his life than when I lived in the suburbs...
Old Jul 14th 2010, 3:43 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

City v city doesn't really matter IMVHO, it's more a question of suburb v suburb within the cities. And if, as you say,
I'm guessing we'll be looking at properties around the £8-900K mark if/when we buy
then you can pretty much have your pick of the suburbs for 3/4 bedroom house. (Assuming you meant to say pounds and not dollars). At your budget and working in the CBD - in Sydney, check out Glebe, Balmain, Hunter's Hill/Woolwich, Pyrmont if you like apartment life...or anywhere on the North Shore that's a ferry ride to Circular Quay. I personally don't care for the Eastern Suburbs because I think their traffic is terrible and their transport links are rubbish, but otoh they do have the beaches and everyone that lives there seems to like it...

What's important? Same as anywhere, really - schools, transport, proximity to CBD, parks (Sydney's very good with parks and reserves, Melbourne probably is too).
Old Jul 14th 2010, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Dammo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
(Assuming you meant to say pounds and not dollars).
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately (for me) I actually meant dollars not £'s - must have been a Freudian slip! Hmm, guess that puts a bit of a different spin on things
Old Jul 14th 2010, 9:18 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Which is best for families - Melbourne or Sydney?

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately (for me) I actually meant dollars not £'s - must have been a Freudian slip! Hmm, guess that puts a bit of a different spin on things
Mate you will get a nice family house in my area on a good sized block for that budget in $, walk to the beach, 45 mins drive or train to the CBD and a lovely safe family area.

BB