Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicare & other state benefits

Medicare & other state benefits

Old Jun 6th 2006, 8:01 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicare & other state benefits

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Could be because the Yanks' healthcare system is also called "Medicare"... perhaps the poster is confusing Australia with America?
Possible, yes. Maybe they don't realise that the two schemes are not only separate but completely different
Old Jun 6th 2006, 10:15 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Where did you get the idea that there's a 2 year waiting list for income support or Centrelink?
Because on a 139 there is (THANK god Matts head din't explode before October, we would have been in the crap BIG time!!! :scared: )

Also to the OP we have no private health and havn't needed it and we came on a 139. Medicare have been fantastic and if we had private health we would have been possibly thousands out of pocket by now with my husbands scans, ops, home care and subsequent ongoing rehab

Last edited by hevs; Jun 6th 2006 at 10:23 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

woodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to all

Don't forget that they will take UK income into account when doing the figures.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 2:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Because on a 139 there is (THANK god Matts head din't explode before October, we would have been in the crap BIG time!!! :scared: )

Also to the OP we have no private health and havn't needed it and we came on a 139. Medicare have been fantastic and if we had private health we would have been possibly thousands out of pocket by now with my husbands scans, ops, home care and subsequent ongoing rehab
I totally agree with this, the most of expensive part of health care we have come across so far, has hardly been covered. We would have to pay the best part 90 bucks per week to get anywhere near covering 50 pct of the total price. Thats Orthodontic work on the kids.

Medicare covers a lot of those scans anyway, I think Hevs. The only real use a Private health fund has been to me personally, Is so I could dictate the timing of operations to coincide with the World cup.

On my little op last week, HCF covered 70 pct of the costs, (163 bucks per month family cover) the Gap was 440 bucks to the surgeon and 100 bucks to the hospital, and for some reason Medicare paid the anesthetist.

Hope all is going well
Old Jun 7th 2006, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movetoperth
Why should Americans be different from everyone else?

Lynn
Cos generally they have bigger mouths and even bigger stomachs?
Old Jun 7th 2006, 4:42 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Medicare & other state benefits

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Disturbingly plausible!
Old Jun 7th 2006, 4:53 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Medicare & other state benefits

Originally Posted by hevs
Because on a 139 there is
Ah, thanks Hevs.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 2:19 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I totally agree with this, the most of expensive part of health care we have come across so far, has hardly been covered. We would have to pay the best part 90 bucks per week to get anywhere near covering 50 pct of the total price. Thats Orthodontic work on the kids.

Medicare covers a lot of those scans anyway, I think Hevs. The only real use a Private health fund has been to me personally, Is so I could dictate the timing of operations to coincide with the World cup.

On my little op last week, HCF covered 70 pct of the costs, (163 bucks per month family cover) the Gap was 440 bucks to the surgeon and 100 bucks to the hospital, and for some reason Medicare paid the anesthetist.

Hope all is going well
Yeah not bad thanks Ozzie. Slowly but surely

Have you got any medical insurance just for entistry or is it part of you medical insurance? (sorry to be nosey but its just somehing we were considering)

Yes the scans etc are covered on medicare (thank god) but am i right in saying that if we were private we would have had to have paid "the gap" as at the time of diagnosis (CT scan) he was not admitted (still in A and E).

This private health business takes a lot of sifting through and weighing up the pro and cons. But in your case i can see why you were keen

Hope you are on the mend
Old Jun 9th 2006, 2:56 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield

PMSL