Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Info on Seaford and nearby subs plz?

Info on Seaford and nearby subs plz?

Old Jun 8th 2006, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

bubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant future
Smile Info on Seaford and nearby subs plz?

Hi All

I’ve been looking into the property (rental and future purchase) prices and schools for the following areas: Aspendale, Callum, Chelsea, Edithvale, Frankston, Mordialloc and Seaford.

I’ve also looked at websites and pictures of each but there is only so much you can tell from a picture. So I could do with some real input from people who either live around there or have been there at some stage. I would like to know how people rate them: Crime, beaches, access to beaches, shopping, entertainment, parks, tidiness, the people in general etc

Also if possible what kind of suburbs they are i.e. fishing towns, trendy towns, ghost towns, country bumpkin towns, small shopping towns, big towns etc.

My son will be thirteen years old so some information on what will each place has to offer for him would be great too.

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 8th 2006, 9:46 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Info on Seaford and nearby subs plz?

Originally Posted by bubblegum_babe
Hi All

I’ve been looking into the property (rental and future purchase) prices and schools for the following areas: Aspendale, Callum, Chelsea, Edithvale, Frankston, Mordialloc and Seaford.

I’ve also looked at websites and pictures of each but there is only so much you can tell from a picture. So I could do with some real input from people who either live around there or have been there at some stage. I would like to know how people rate them: Crime, beaches, access to beaches, shopping, entertainment, parks, tidiness, the people in general etc

Also if possible what kind of suburbs they are i.e. fishing towns, trendy towns, ghost towns, country bumpkin towns, small shopping towns, big towns etc.

My son will be thirteen years old so some information on what will each place has to offer for him would be great too.

Thanks in advance
Frankston & Seaford would probably be slightly "rougher" than the others.
I think Callum should be Carrum & is ok, nothing special.
Of the ones you named Mordialloc would be my preferance & is probably the busiest (apart from Frankston ) but even then its like a big village.

Why not look at Mentone or further down at Mount Eliza & Mornington?
Old Jun 8th 2006, 10:11 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I really like Frankston, mainly South Frankston. I have family in Mount Eliza but it is quite expensive there. Can't comment on schools though as I went to school in the Eastern Suburbs.

I've read what Bordy has put and maybe he has more of an insight than I do, as it is South Frankston that I like. I will agree that there are some rough looking areas in Frankston and these can be seen on the realestate website. It would be very boring if we all had the same opinion, but suppose it would be easier for you!!

Have you looked at Mornington? Bordy has definately hit the nail on the head with this one!! This is my most favourite place and the town/high street are lovely. It has a lovely harbour and beach and reasonable house prices can be found.

Good luck with your search,
J x
Old Jun 9th 2006, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Thanks in advance
Hi

We spent quite some time searching for rentals in the areas you have listed. I will give you my opinion, but I have only been here 3 months or so, so others may have more indepth experience.

Aspendale, Carrum, Chelsea, Edithvale - unremarkable suburbs but fairly pleasant. Each have shopping areas - ranks of shops more than anything else. Good train link to CBD. Excellent access to the fab Chelsea beach. Not a huge amount of entertainment (though with 2 little ones we haven't ventured out much in the evenings!). Good parks for the kids and picnic areas. Chelsea has its fair share of winos (wandering around with their kids drinking Bourbon & Cola at 10am! The parents that is!!). However, there are also some nice new developments there which is changing the style of the place.

Seaford - as above, but certainly does have its rough streets. That is pretty obvious when you are driving around. However, I believe it is an up and coming area and if I could afford it, I would buy an investment property there.

Frankston - quite good shopping facilities and entertainment (a mall and cinema complexes, big library and arts centre). I only know Frankston South which looks very nice. The beach here isn't quite so nice - doesn't have the soft white sand of Chelsea/Seaford. I believe there are some rough parts - but again that would become apparent when driving around.

Mordialloc - I love, though haven't spent enough time there to give you a complete picture. Very pretty with a creek entering the sea - so a bit of a fishing town about it. Good parks and BBQ areas. Quaint shopping street - nice cafe/restaurant overlooking beach and very nice looking bar/cafe (hotel?) overlooking the creek.

Hope this helps - if you want any further info just let me know.

Rachel
Old Jun 9th 2006, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Hi We live in Mount Martha and that is just up the road from Mornington, we love it there great cafes, shops, etc.

We lived with my Sister in Mount Eliza, really nice area but it was a bit too expensive for us.

Frankston south is a nice area, part of it borders on Mount Eliza as for Frankston some of it is like the wild west and some of it is ok. Plenty to do there good shops etc.

I think Seaford is like a small Frankston it has some nice parts and some pretty rough ones.

Mordialloc is a great spot and like Mornington has a bit of a seaside feel about it.

I hope this has helped, we know that the real estate websites only show what they want you to see.

John
Old Jun 9th 2006, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

weeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud of

Hi All

Thanks in advance
Hi,we are heading for this area as well,my sister lives in south Frankston,near mount eliza,that seems like a decent place to settle,we would like to perhaps buy in Mornington,been there a few times,been looking at carrum Downs as well,dont know a lot about there though,good luck when you heading out?All the best Dave