Medicare Levy

Old Aug 29th 2007, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

BettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura about
Default Medicare Levy

We are having a battle with Medicare over whether we have to pay the levy for our tax this year. We are on the SIR visa and were granted an exemption n our first year o this visa.
I have now spoken to them on the phone, and they say i should not have received this and they will need to reclaim this amount from us.

They stated because we have an interim Medicare card this means we have to pay the levy, can anyone shed some light, please

BB
Old Aug 29th 2007, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

Seachanger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Medicare Levy

My understanding is that if you are entitled to Medicare under the reciprocal arrangements, you still pay the levy. I'm on an SIR visa and pay the levy, which seems fair enough as I use the service.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

BettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura about

We have went to Doctor's just a few times luckily since we've been here and have just paid the full amount to the doctor's surgery, advising them that we were not eligible. Does this now mean we can claim some of this money back?

What happens when visitors claim the reciprocal health care agreement? Do they pay the Medicare levy?

BB
Old Aug 29th 2007, 6:52 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

If you are entitled to Medicare should get about $32 back per consultation I think.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...visa-works.htm

'SIR visa holders from countries with which Australia has a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement will have restricted access to Medicare.'

...don't know what the restrictions are though.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 7:22 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...&mfp=&st=&cy=1

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/wc...htm#migrated_0
Old Aug 29th 2007, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

Seachanger is an unknown quantity at this point

Check this website for details of the reciprocal cover

http://www.aodgp.gov.au/internet/wcm...ors#reciprocal

When I arrived in Oz I went to the local Medicare office and they registered me for Medicare under the RHCA (reciprocal health care agreement) between Oz and the UK. They sent me a Medicare card (which says that it is under the RHCA) covering the whole family which expires when my visa does. It covers immediately necessary medical treatment. Luckily we have not had to use the service much, but my children have needed occasional trips to the GP - our GP bulk bills so we pay nothing for consultations and we have just paid the relevant charge for any prescriptions under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme. One child had to have outpatient hospital care, but as it was at a public hospital we were not required to pay anything.

If you still have your receipts you will probably be able to claim back some of the costs you have incurred and it would be worth you visiting your local Medicare office with your passport/visa to sort out a card.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 7:43 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seachanger
Check this website for details of the reciprocal cover

http://www.aodgp.gov.au/internet/wcm...ors#reciprocal

When I arrived in Oz I went to the local Medicare office and they registered me for Medicare under the RHCA (reciprocal health care agreement) between Oz and the UK. They sent me a Medicare card (which says that it is under the RHCA) covering the whole family which expires when my visa does. It covers immediately necessary medical treatment. Luckily we have not had to use the service much, but my children have needed occasional trips to the GP - our GP bulk bills so we pay nothing for consultations and we have just paid the relevant charge for any prescriptions under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme. One child had to have outpatient hospital care, but as it was at a public hospital we were not required to pay anything.

If you still have your receipts you will probably be able to claim back some of the costs you have incurred and it would be worth you visiting your local Medicare office with your passport/visa to sort out a card.
be careful with expiry dates. our medicare card here in WA is renewable annually.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 11:38 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
be careful with expiry dates. our medicare card here in WA is renewable annually.
We were given 7 years on ours.

Still we will all be on identity cards (they don't call them that of course) soon anyway.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 11:52 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
We were given 7 years on ours.

Still we will all be on identity cards (they don't call them that of course) soon anyway.
I think ours is like that because of our temp status.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unhappy Re: Medicare Levy

Thanks for all replies but having checked the websites it is still unclear about whether you pay the levy whilst on the sir visa or not, and if you do pay the levy can you then ask Medicare for a refund on private doctor consultations.....?
I may take a trip in to the local Medicare office in town...I'm sure they will know...not!

Cheers
BB
Old Aug 31st 2007, 12:27 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BettyBoop
Thanks for all replies but having checked the websites it is still unclear about whether you pay the levy whilst on the sir visa or not, and if you do pay the levy can you then ask Medicare for a refund on private doctor consultations.....?
I may take a trip in to the local Medicare office in town...I'm sure they will know...not!

Cheers
BB
Who granted you an exemption on your first year ??? I thought that was only for PR visa holders ?? Anyway, do you have this exemption in writing ??