Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

'Brisbane' Population Surge

'Brisbane' Population Surge

Old Aug 23rd 2007, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute
Default 'Brisbane' Population Surge

According to our local rag, the population of SE Queensland grew by 51,000 in the year to June 2006 with the population being 2.7 million

900 extra people per *week* will be making SE Queensland their home between now and 2026, bringing the total population to more than 3.6 million with predictions that Queensland will replace Victoria as Australia's second most populated state by 2041

For those coming here for more 'space'. Think again

Already the volume of traffic and land/housing shortages are tainting the notion of coming here for a 'better lifestyle'.

The infrastructure is at best 'tired' although significant development and regeneration is occuring in the City giving cause for optimism to those who will benefit.

IMO, whilst the climate here is far more appealing than that in the UK, the other perceived benefits are more dubious.

Nevertheless, if you don't have to commute to work and you've got a fair bit of wonga stashed away in the bank, you'll be right!
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 11:42 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Brisbane' Population Surge

900 extra people per *week* will be making SE Queensland their home between now and 2026, bringing the total population to more than 3.6 million with predictions that Queensland will replace Victoria as Australia's second most populated state by 2041

I'm always interested to know quite how they come up with stats like that. We had no idea we were coming until about a year before we did, how can they possibly make statements like that I would have thought the infrastructure would have given up by then and people just wouldn't come, they'd go somewhere else.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20

I'm always interested to know quite how they come up with stats like that. We had no idea we were coming until about a year before we did, how can they possibly make statements like that I would have thought the infrastructure would have given up by then and people just wouldn't come, they'd go somewhere else.
I think that the great majority of the incoming QLD population are from Victoria and NSW - not overseas migrants. All those baby boomers are coming up for retirement and where better to move to than QLD for a bit of warmth in their old age . I'd imagine that they have a good idea how many interstate people move to QLD each year - they just need to extrapolate the data to allow for the additional baby-boomer influx.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

pomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by tictac
According to our local rag, the population of SE Queensland grew by 51,000 in the year to June 2006 with the population being 2.7 million

Already the volume of traffic and land/housing shortages are tainting the notion of coming here for a 'better lifestyle'.

The infrastructure is at best 'tired' although significant development and regeneration is occuring in the City giving cause for optimism to those who will benefit.

IMO, whilst the climate here is far more appealing than that in the UK, the other perceived benefits are more dubious.

Nevertheless, if you don't have to commute to work and you've got a fair bit of wonga stashed away in the bank, you'll be right!
And wouldn't you like it if no one else was coming (nimby). I can see why people move into the area, I was their two weeks ago. But I didn't think the local concern about the comut is nothing compared to driving in the UK.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

900 extra people per *week* will be making SE Queensland their home between now and 2026!
Most of them bloody Kiwi's !

Glad I bought the house where I did
Old Aug 24th 2007, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

movin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nice

Are you trying to put us Brissie hopefuls off???

Old Aug 24th 2007, 12:57 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Of course this stat takes no account of people moving out of QLD at the same time. While I agree there is an influx, the real net figures are way lower than these scare-mongering figures.

The other point to note is that these stats talk about people moving to SE QLD, *NOT* Brisbane.

Damn lies and statistics.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

ashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really niceashwood is just really nice

900 extra people per *week* will be making SE Queensland their home
Not if DIMIA have anything to do with it.

(Sorry, just feeling cynical after the length of time it is taking for my 457 visa :curse: )
Old Aug 24th 2007, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
Of course this stat takes no account of people moving out of QLD at the same time. While I agree there is an influx, the real net figures are way lower than these scare-mongering figures.

The other point to note is that these stats talk about people moving to SE QLD, *NOT* Brisbane.

Damn lies and statistics.
((3600000-2700000)/(2026-2006))/52=865

Good point re 'Brisbane' though.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 12:49 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot of people moved to Brisbane from Mel and Syd because it had a lower cost of living.
As the cost of living is becoming comparable to the southern states I think the flow of people will slow down.

((3600000-2700000)/(2026-2006))/52=865

Good point re 'Brisbane' though.