Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicare, Childcare, Benefits

Medicare, Childcare, Benefits

Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future
Default Re: Medicare, Childcare, Benefits

Originally Posted by biggy
Hi There

You qualify for medicare as soon as u get here, as Oz and UK have an agreement..........if you have a family then there is family tax credit, which u can either get paid fortnightly, monthly or wait till the end of the tax year and get a lump sum......thats what we r doing, its a good way of saving some dosh!!!!!!

You also get help with childcare costs....I dont know what this is cos I dont claim it. With regards the rent, depending on what family tax credit u get (means tested) this will determine if u get anything back for that.

If u lose ur job etc then u r not entitled to state benefit for 2 years. With regards fallin doon the plane stairs ffs stay off the grog...lol.....no seriously what we did was got out travel insurance to cover us for a week once gettin here, so we knew we were covered no matter what
Best of Luck
I know exactly what the original poster is worried about. I also earn a good salary and I am quite accustomed to my comfie life. Now that I have looked in to work in the Sunshine Coast, it is even more scary moving. That is not gonna stop me, I can't wait to get there but I am really scared. My sister moved to Sydney from London three years ago and she feels less wealthy but has a better lifestyle. When my uncle moved to Perth 15 years ago there were loads of incentives and support for migrants as they arrived, I wonder if these still exist. We are hoping to go to Brissie in Oct.
Exciting but nerve wracking
Tara
Old Apr 21st 2005, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Australia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of light

Thats one ugly pup you've got as an avatar.
I love dogs. All dogs. I think pugs are the funniest, cutest dogs in the world.

The pug is absolute proof that God has a sense of humour.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:03 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ali south
My sister moved to Sydney from London three years ago and she feels less wealthy but has a better lifestyle.
I thought I would just emphasise that point for everyone.........

It can be very true.

Old Apr 26th 2005, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia Bound
I've never had a state handout in my life, worked since i was sixteen, never received benefits ever. I'm taking about giving up my life in the UK, a life i've worked hard to build. My main interest isn't what's coming to me, i'm bringing over £70,000 to Australia and expect to get a job pretty quickly.

I want to know what i can do if things go pear shaped. I don't want to fall down the plane steps when i arrive and not know if i'm going to lose everything on hospital bills.

I want to know if i get help with childcare? So what, it's expensive, i'm not rich. And for whoever said earlier about parents being given handouts? Well i'm not a parent yet so i don't fall into that category.

I'm trying to get a good understanding of how thing work in Oz

{edited when i calmed down a bit}

I could not agree more. I brought in enough to pay off a sizeable chunk on a house here and $35,000 stamp duty to New South Wales and my Ozzie sister in law had the nerve to bitch about me applying for class room help for my adopted children both of whom have learning disabilities. This "well who have not paid Ozzy taxes" makes me laugh. Australia has gained two highly profressional people largly trained and paid for at the expense of the UK tax payer - to say nothing of what Australians living in the UK are entitled to. Please lets have a bigger view of the world! Oh and by the way, I will still be paying Ozz taxes on income earned from investments in the UK.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly the kind of answer i was looking for. Thanks mate, i owe you a pint.
I think you need to visit www.familyassist.com.au for the childcare bit. We won't qualify for this (Oz) tax year (July - June) but we might next year. However, unlikely. I think you need to earn less than $80Kpa. If you are coming as self-employed then you will self certify your earnings in July (well, fill out the form in good time). You can then decide whether or not to take full benefit fortnightly, or just a contribution. If you are salaried then you will know exactly what your earnings will be so can take maximum. As self employed it's better to take minimum. At the end of the tax year it all gets evened out by the Tax Man and you will either get a rebate or will have to pay some back (if you under estimated earnings).

Hope that makes sense - best read the website.

Medicare and NHS have reciprocal agreement so you'll be fine healthwise.

Personally finding the system for us Poms very fair (apart from mortgages but that's another thread!!)
Old Apr 26th 2005, 2:21 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Hello AB,

Other "benefits" you can get just for "stepping off the plane" are the baby bonus which is currently $3000 and the $7000 first home buyers grant.

You get the baby bonus when you have a child. Note that there is no statutory maternity leave in Oz. From July 2006 it will be $4000, so with good timing you could be quids in

You get the first home owners grant when you buy a property (assuming you have not bought one in Oz before). It is more of a discount than a bonus as the stamp duty will probably be larger - if it isn't then you've probably bought a place in the middle of nowhere, in which case it is a pat on the back for being fair dinkum and having a go in the sticks. (The extra $5000 in Victoria comes to an end this July.)

Regards
Alistair
Old Apr 26th 2005, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Phil-UK will become famous soon enough

The pug is absolute proof that God has a sense of humour.
Or maybe he just dropped it on it's face by accident, and left it like that !!!

Phil