Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Food: Vegetarian

Food: Vegetarian

Old Apr 25th 2005, 12:18 pm
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Default Food: Vegetarian

Hello Friends,
I am just worried about the food in Oz...
I am a pure vegge (Vegitarian). I refrain from having egg even (just no no for beef, steak, chicken, etc). Hope that should not be a problem.
My couple of visit to US was good, I coule manage good veg. food. Hope it does not differ much with Oz...!
Anyone who can tell me about veggie ready made food?
Old Apr 25th 2005, 12:22 pm
Banned

Widdi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really nice
Default Re: Food: Vegetarian

oh dear oh dear!!!!

MMMM - well my experience is this,

My girlfriends a veggie - the cities and coastal towns are great - even better than uk with Veggie delis and falafel counters etc -

but once you leave the suburbs - take a packed lunch!!

Most shops just sell meat pies and chiko rolls -

Unless you can live on milkshakes (which are great)
Old Apr 25th 2005, 12:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Its been discussed a lot before, and there are mixed opinions, most people thought it would mean less "ready meals". Do a few searches cos I know its come up a lot.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

Big Ellie! is on a distinguished road

If products (in shops & restaurants) are veggie, do they label them clearly like in the UK?!
Old Apr 25th 2005, 12:41 pm
Banned

Widdi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really nice
Wink Re: Food: Vegetarian

Originally Posted by Big Ellie!
If products (in shops & restaurants) are veggie, do they label them clearly like in the UK?!
Not the Veggie culture in OZ like UK

More healthy eating shops.... - you should be ok in the cities and Byron Bay
Old Apr 25th 2005, 12:52 pm

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice

Originally Posted by Big Ellie!
Hey, I am relying on those green and brown tick colors on the container or pack of foods. I identify the food with color tags, veggie (green ticks) and non-veg (brown ticks). Hope its not missing in Oz... And restaurants do understand that veggie is veggie (no beef, no steak, no eggs etc)
Old Apr 25th 2005, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Laurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really nice

Originally Posted by pandya_m
Hey, I am relying on those green and brown tick colors on the container or pack of foods. I identify the food with color tags, veggie (green ticks) and non-veg (brown ticks). Hope its not missing in Oz... And restaurants do understand that veggie is veggie (no beef, no steak, no eggs etc)
I am a vegetarian (though, I do eat eggs), and my fiance is a vegan (no meat or dairy at all). We had no problems at all in the cities, most restaurants catered to vegetarians to some degree. He had a little bit more trouble than I did because he doesn't eat cheese, but he did alright. In the country town it was a little more difficult, and we did pack lunches for several days, but even still we would have been able to find something if we needed to.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 1:06 pm

very much thanks for your replies
Old Apr 25th 2005, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

atlantatoaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Friends,
I am a pure vegge (Vegitarian). I refrain from having egg even (just no no for beef, steak, chicken, etc). Hope that should not be a problem.
My couple of visit to US was good, I coule manage good veg. food. Hope it does not differ much with Oz...!

HI pandya
I am a pure vegetarian I dont eat egg also same as you
I believe you have more choices for vegetarians in sydney than we have in Atlanta.Lots of indian eatiers in Sydney too .
So no worries
priya
Old Apr 26th 2005, 3:16 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Hello Friends,
Ready made food in the supermarkets and shops are far and few between. There is a very small selection in Coles , Woolworths ,Bilo fridges. You'll get sausages, burgers and bacon. Frozen meals - basically, not a lot. The odd frozen burger and stuff and that's about it.

For anyone who was veggie in the early eighties ( before it got fashionable and before Quorn, Linda McCartney and things) , when there was hardly any ready made veggie food in the supermarkets in the UK, when you had to shop in Health food shops for powdered burgers and beans etc - horrible tasting stuff. . Australia is a bit like that, not a huge selection like what it is like in the Uk today. Here in Aus they have very far and few between ready made stuff in the supermarkets, just a little selection of food.

Cheese there are two veggie ones on the market in the main supermarkets such as coles, vegige cheese and Nimbin cheese.

Australia is a very meat eating country. Restaurants , you'll always find veggie food served in those ( I doubt you're going to eat every meal of the day, each day in a restaurant), but supermarkets are very poor for ready made veggie stuff. If you're expecting heaps of ready made veggie stuff stuff like they have in Asda and Tesco's - forget it. Tins , there is a small tin selection in the health food bit of the supermarkets - sausages, nut loaf, and mince etc.

Regarding is it labelled well ? The ready made veggie food designed for the veggie market is labled well, everyday products (like ready made chips, biscuits etc etc) is not. Some have "suitable for vegetarians" written on it - most products, you get used to reading the labels.

You'll find you'll have to make a bit of your own stuff, as it is so poor here regarding convient ready made veggie stuff in the supermarkets. If I can make veggie food up, anyone can All it means is making your own stuff up when you have some spare moments and freezing it for convient meals.

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 26th 2005 at 3:34 am.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 5:43 am

Smile Re: Food: Vegetarian

Thanks Priya for the feedback
Ceri, thanks for the quick overview.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

As many posters have just said, the ready made vegetarian meal section really leaves a lot to be desired I'm afraid. Ceri, most of the veggie sausage, burgers etc have got egg albumen in them so Pandym won't be able to eat them.

I am a lacto-vegetarian (no meat, fish or eggs, but do have dairy so not complete vegan...yet!) and I have to really be careful and read labels very carefully over here.

Most cheeses contain animal rennet and almost all yoghurts contain gelatine! and although it's happening slowly, very little food is actually labelled whether its suitable for vegetarians. Even if it is, I would still check carefully, I got a recipe booklet from one of the large dairys allegedly containing all "vegetarian" recipes....well all the desserts without fail contained Gelatine!!! hmmm!!

I live in WA and find that eating out is not too bad. I just have to think ahead. The indian restaurants cater well for vegetarians and there is the Hare Krishna place and the Happy Buddha too. Once you've settled where you're going you'll soon find you cope ok!!

This is a useful site for E-numbers if you're not used to looking! Bit scary reading tho!! :scared:

animal derived food additives

love sophia xx
Old Apr 26th 2005, 11:28 am

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

You definitely have to read the labels!!!! As Sophia says, most yoghurts contain gelatine (along with many desserts), frozen chips contain beef tallow, lots of cheeses have rennet, etc., etc. I really miss the clear labelling you get in the UK!

Also, a lot of people seem to assume that since you're vegetarian you'll eat fish (this really drives me crazy!!). So if you're in a restaurant and asking what the vegetarian options are, make it clear to them if you don't eat fish.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 11:41 am

Lightbulb Re: Food: Vegetarian

I am hopeless case in cooking.
I think I need to learn some cooking from my mama....
Its will be cheaper and good for me.

btw, my religion prohibits eating non-veg, but milk, honey, curd are still ok.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

atlantatoaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I am hopeless case in cooking.
I think I need to learn some cooking from my mama....
Its will be cheaper and good for me.

btw, my religion prohibits eating non-veg, but milk, honey, curd are still ok.
hi mukesh

from my experience in the US most ppl dont understand what constitutes vegetarian and what doesn't so rule of thumb always ask what is in the food,read all ingredients before buying anything
and LEARN TO COOK much cheaper you save a lot of money at the end.
I guess most ppl learn when you are left to fend for your self so no worries
you will too.
regards
priya