Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicare, Childcare, Benefits

Medicare, Childcare, Benefits

Old Apr 20th 2005, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Australia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of light
Default Medicare, Childcare, Benefits

probably been asked a million times already but....

My wife and i will be coming over on a skilled independent visa. We'll need to put the child into nursery school, will we qualify for government help with childcare costs? I know it's means tested but do you need to be in the country for a specific length of time?

The same goes for state benefits, what if it all goes tits up and we need aid, will we qualify? I doubt that will happen but we're trying to dispel the worries.

And lastly, Medicare. Is it as complicated as it looks, and again, do we qualify as soon as we step off the plane?

Thanks in advance peeps
Old Apr 20th 2005, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicare, Childcare, Benefits

Originally Posted by Australia Bound
probably been asked a million times already but....

My wife and i will be coming over on a skilled independent visa. We'll need to put the child into nursery school, will we qualify for government help with childcare costs? I know it's means tested but do you need to be in the country for a specific length of time?

The same goes for state benefits, what if it all goes tits up and we need aid, will we qualify? I doubt that will happen but we're trying to dispel the worries.

And lastly, Medicare. Is it as complicated as it looks, and again, do we qualify as soon as we step off the plane?

Thanks in advance peeps
Doesn't sound like you are coming with the right attitude

What are the state benefits, what can I apply for?

I do know you are not eligible for unemployment benefit for 2 years.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Apr 20th 2005, 7:43 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Problem is parents in the UK get too many handouts!!!!!!
Old Apr 20th 2005, 8:18 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Doesn't sound like you are coming with the right attitude

What are the state benefits, what can I apply for?

I do know you are not eligible for unemployment benefit for 2 years.

Cheers,
JTL
Bit harsh JTL,
they were just asking what they were entitled to.

I'm sure it's been asked / discussed before and someone will help.

I think you will get child benefit each week / month and help with renting at first.

hope this helps.
Mark
Old Apr 20th 2005, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markeh
and help with renting at first.

hope this helps.
Mark
Really? We got no help with rent? How does that work?

JTL
Old Apr 20th 2005, 8:33 pm

Sweet Chilli is on a distinguished road

There are various childcare related allowances you can apply for take a look at: http://www.familyassist.gov.au/ for more information.

You don't qualify for state benefits until after 2 years.

Is it true that if you do claim state benefits you also have to do some community service work - what a great deterrent

Based on the Visa type you've listed you should qualify for Medicare, you can enrol 7 days after you arrive in Australia, you'll need to take your passport and travel documents to your nearest Medicare office, you'll find the address in the phonebook, but generally most people end up on private healthcare organised through their employer.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

peartree35 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Medicare, Childcare, Benefits

Originally Posted by Sweet Chilli
There are various childcare related allowances you can apply for take a look at: http://www.familyassist.gov.au/ for more information.

You don't qualify for state benefits until after 2 years.

Is it true that if you do claim state benefits you also have to do some community service work - what a great deterrent

Based on the Visa type you've listed you should qualify for Medicare, you can enrol 7 days after you arrive in Australia, you'll need to take your passport and travel documents to your nearest Medicare office, you'll find the address in the phonebook, but generally most people end up on private healthcare organised through their employer.
Hi

We're going in on a Bush Visa and I know we don't qualify for Medicare until we apply for permanent residency after 2 years. Hope this helps. Also is there anyone out there from Adelaide or going to Adelaide? We hope to head out in Sep. Cheers
Old Apr 20th 2005, 8:43 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Really? We got no help with rent? How does that work?

JTL

Don't ask me I'm in the UK,
I believe it's only at first, was mentioned on the forum some time ago, hope one of the people in oz can help advise.

Bye
Mark
Old Apr 20th 2005, 8:43 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're heading for Adelaide check out this forum (If you havent already!)

http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaidebrits/

Old Apr 20th 2005, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by markeh
Don't ask me I'm in the UK,
I believe it's only at first, was mentioned on the forum some time ago, hope one of the people in oz can help advise.

Bye
Mark
So you don't pay Oz tax, yet you say

Bit harsh JTL,
they were just asking what they were entitled to.
My original reply meant, if your main interest is what the tax payers of Oz are going to supply you with, best don't come.

Now if that seems a bit harsh, well tough, but, the OP did ask three questions in a row about what the government here will pay them.

JTL
Old Apr 20th 2005, 9:00 pm
Happy Daddy

My original reply meant, if your main interest is what the tax payers of Oz are going to supply you with, best don't come.

Now if that seems a bit harsh, well tough, but, the OP did ask three questions in a row about what the government here will pay them.

JTL
JTL,

Turning the universe on it's head,

is Oz going to reimburse the loss of Tax's to the migrant's home nations

Are you going to pay for the education and support that they recieved to become qualified (in the case of skilled visa)

Remember Oz is getting the people with the skills that it selects and mostly saving they have accumulated. Is it such a bad deal for Oz?

Remember it could all just be a lab experimient where you try and "generate" a more inteligent population by stacking the population with higher than normal skilled people. back to nature / nurture debate.

bye
Mark

My head hurts now eek eek.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Australia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of light

JTL
I've never had a state handout in my life, worked since i was sixteen, never received benefits ever. I'm taking about giving up my life in the UK, a life i've worked hard to build. My main interest isn't what's coming to me, i'm bringing over £70,000 to Australia and expect to get a job pretty quickly.

I want to know what i can do if things go pear shaped. I don't want to fall down the plane steps when i arrive and not know if i'm going to lose everything on hospital bills.

I want to know if i get help with childcare? So what, it's expensive, i'm not rich. And for whoever said earlier about parents being given handouts? Well i'm not a parent yet so i don't fall into that category.

I'm trying to get a good understanding of how thing work in Oz

{edited when i calmed down a bit}

Last edited by Australia Bound; Apr 20th 2005 at 9:14 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

peartree35 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Medicare, Childcare, Benefits

Originally Posted by bridiej
If you're heading for Adelaide check out this forum (If you havent already!)

http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaidebrits/

you are a ******* star!!!! I've went on that site last year but didn't bookmark it (blonde) and have been searching for hours literally for it!!
Bonza mate!!!
Old Apr 20th 2005, 9:33 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Australia Bound
I've never had a state handout in my life, worked since i was sixteen, never received benefits ever. I'm taking about giving up my life in the UK, a life i've worked hard to build. My main interest isn't what's coming to me, i'm bringing over £70,000 to Australia and expect to get a job pretty quickly.

I want to know what i can do if things go pear shaped. I don't want to fall down the plane steps when i arrive and not know if i'm going to lose everything on hospital bills.

I want to know if i get help with childcare? So what, it's expensive, i'm not rich. And for whoever said earlier about parents being given handouts? Well i'm not a parent yet so i don't fall into that category.

I'm trying to get a good understanding of how thing work in Oz

{edited when i calmed down a bit}
Hi There

You qualify for medicare as soon as u get here, as Oz and UK have an agreement..........if you have a family then there is family tax credit, which u can either get paid fortnightly, monthly or wait till the end of the tax year and get a lump sum......thats what we r doing, its a good way of saving some dosh!!!!!!

You also get help with childcare costs....I dont know what this is cos I dont claim it. With regards the rent, depending on what family tax credit u get (means tested) this will determine if u get anything back for that.

If u lose ur job etc then u r not entitled to state benefit for 2 years. With regards fallin doon the plane stairs ffs stay off the grog...lol.....no seriously what we did was got out travel insurance to cover us for a week once gettin here, so we knew we were covered no matter what
Best of Luck
Old Apr 20th 2005, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by biggy
Hi There

You qualify for medicare as soon as u get here, as Oz and UK have an agreement..........if you have a family then there is family tax credit, which u can either get paid fortnightly, monthly or wait till the end of the tax year and get a lump sum......thats what we r doing, its a good way of saving some dosh!!!!!!

You also get help with childcare costs....I dont know what this is cos I dont claim it. With regards the rent, depending on what family tax credit u get (means tested) this will determine if u get anything back for that.

If u lose ur job etc then u r not entitled to state benefit for 2 years. With regards fallin doon the plane stairs ffs stay off the grog...lol.....no seriously what we did was got out travel insurance to cover us for a week once gettin here, so we knew we were covered no matter what
Best of Luck
Exactly the kind of answer i was looking for. Thanks mate, i owe you a pint.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.