Reload this Page >

Medicare - additional coverage by private insurance

Medicare - additional coverage by private insurance

Old Mar 19th 2012, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

xavito is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medicare - additional coverage by private insurance

Dear all,
sorry if this might have been posted already by sb else, but I haven't found anything similar.
I will be coming to Oz (Sydney) in May and have some questions around health care insurance:
Since I am German, I will have to take private health insurance and I will continue with my German provider (which is accepted by the Australian health authorities).
My partner is British and she will be eligible for Medicare. But since I have heard that Medicare is not covering a whole bunch of Medical Services, I wonder where I could find information on additional coverage for private health insurance and roughly how much that will cost. I am aware that Medicare does not cover for:
- medicines not subsidised under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme
- dental work and allied health services
- accommodation and medical treatment in a private hospital
- accommodation and medical treatment as a private patient in a public
hospital. [...]

If my partner was to take private health insurance on those services, how much would she end up paying (roughly) on top and how is Medicare deducted from her pay check anyway? She has a quote also from a German private health care provider who has offered her a monthly rate of around 200AUS $, covering for all of the above but with co-payment of around 450 AUS$ per year max. in outpatient area/non-hospital area and dental coverage until 1622 AUS$ per year, and everyhting above would need to be co-payed by 25% of total amount.

Sorry for these questions but I really need some advise
Thanks so much!!!
Xavito