Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Making the decision to leave behind a much loved cat

Making the decision to leave behind a much loved cat

Old Mar 15th 2012, 12:09 pm

Jensanco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Making the decision to leave behind a much loved cat

Spent the last 3 weeks trawling through friends list on my phone etc...
Would they like our cat ?

none of them are in a position to take her, I thought at least if a friend had her I would definately get to see photo's and hear updates but now waiting to hear from a friend to see if a friend of hers will have her they have a big place, near fields and visting grandchildren - she'll love that she likes kids.

I really wanted her to move with us, but in the last 3 years we've moved twice in the UK and each time she became very distressed and misbehaved in ways she never had before
She's only been settled and back to her happy self here the last 4 months

Then I heard from a friend whose cat died a few weeks after they had her flown out to live with them, she was a couple of years younger than our cat too!
An it got me thinking - how would I feel putting her through a much mroe stressful ordeal getting my beloved cat out to Australia to live with us and all the stress and fear killed her?
My daughter will be just as devastated - she adores Missy we've had her for 7 years now - got her as a rescue cat, who'd be thrown out when the owners discovered she'd had kittens.

I feel awful and totally torn.... at never seeing my gorgeous Mish - ka again.

Our dog is 4 years old and prior to living with us this last 14 months she was in kennels, she'd been a police dog and failed and then went back to the breeder who keeps a gun dog kennels.. Kennels doesn't bother my waggy tailed friend, she's very laid back about everything tho she will be able to stay with my mum until we are settled and can fly her out!

For those who have had to leave a precious furbaby behind - however did you manage...
I haven't cried at the thought of leaving family or many of our friends behind its our cat and my daughters childminder that keep sending me into fits of sobs?

I know it's the right thing to do for her but it's forcing myself to do something deep down I don't want to do !
Old Mar 15th 2012, 2:12 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making the decision to leave behind a much loved cat

We left Fluff behind. She was 14 (older than my daughters at the tme) and was my baby. We decided that a) it wasn't fair on her at that age; b) we had no idea if we were going to find a rental that would allow pets, and c) what sort of life she'd have with the heat and wildlife.

Thankfully the awesome lady who bought our house asked me if she could have Fluff. Her kids adored her, they lived across the road so knew her well. To say I was relieved is a major understatement. It broke our hearts leaving her behind, but to be able to say goodbye to her, sitting on her chair in her house was about the best it could be. We went back for a visit after two years and popped in to see them, Fluff ignored us for a while and then recognised us and was so affectionate, it broke us again to leave her but she was obviously well loved. She died a couple of years ago still in her own home. I don't think she'd have got to 18 if she'd have come with us.

It's a really hard decision but for us it was the right one. People may say if you're prepared to leave a pet you shouldn't have it in the first place, that you obviously don't love the pet if you can up and leave it behind but that's crap. Sometimes circumstances dictate that leaving them is for the best. Good luck.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jensanco
Spent the last 3 weeks trawling through friends list on my phone etc...
Would they like our cat ?

none of them are in a position to take her, I thought at least if a friend had her I would definately get to see photo's and hear updates but now waiting to hear from a friend to see if a friend of hers will have her they have a big place, near fields and visting grandchildren - she'll love that she likes kids.

I really wanted her to move with us, but in the last 3 years we've moved twice in the UK and each time she became very distressed and misbehaved in ways she never had before
She's only been settled and back to her happy self here the last 4 months

Then I heard from a friend whose cat died a few weeks after they had her flown out to live with them, she was a couple of years younger than our cat too!
An it got me thinking - how would I feel putting her through a much mroe stressful ordeal getting my beloved cat out to Australia to live with us and all the stress and fear killed her?
My daughter will be just as devastated - she adores Missy we've had her for 7 years now - got her as a rescue cat, who'd be thrown out when the owners discovered she'd had kittens.

I feel awful and totally torn.... at never seeing my gorgeous Mish - ka again.

Our dog is 4 years old and prior to living with us this last 14 months she was in kennels, she'd been a police dog and failed and then went back to the breeder who keeps a gun dog kennels.. Kennels doesn't bother my waggy tailed friend, she's very laid back about everything tho she will be able to stay with my mum until we are settled and can fly her out!

For those who have had to leave a precious furbaby behind - however did you manage...
I haven't cried at the thought of leaving family or many of our friends behind its our cat and my daughters childminder that keep sending me into fits of sobs?

I know it's the right thing to do for her but it's forcing myself to do something deep down I don't want to do !

Maybe ask around at your childrens school, or put a notice up in the newsletter that you are having to leave your cat behind, it would be really hard to leave our cats I know...... or you could bite the bullet and bring her with you, it could help having something familiar for your children. If your cat is anything like ours she will probably spend most of her time in Australia fast asleep on the deck.

Whatever you decided it won't be an easy decision.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

We agonised over taking our beloved 7 yearold Molly cat, but fortunately my brother in the end decided to have her- it'll be interesting how she'll react when we go back at xmas!!
I was dreading leaving her but in all the excitement n chaos (we dropped her off b4 the packers came!) i didnt even cry ; by the time we had left my brothers she was curled up on his sofa!! She had only ever lived in one house. We talk about her but noone has been traumatised.
Interestingly I couldnt leave our dogs ashes behind she came with us!!
Now we have a lovely new member of our family mac our aussie rescue dog and he's gorgeous - I already have a secret saving plan in case we ever decide to go back!!!
Old Mar 16th 2012, 3:19 pm

OMG you've all made me cry

A friends mum is going to have her. Part of me is sooo relieved but the other part of me feels a horrendous weight is still there, I think that's the part of me that will miss her badly. Part of me still things lets just take her but I know it really would cause her a great distress and would go on for several weeks/ months.

See i'm bloody off on one again now
Old Mar 16th 2012, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

OMG you've all made me cry

A friends mum is going to have her. Part of me is sooo relieved but the other part of me feels a horrendous weight is still there, I think that's the part of me that will miss her badly. Part of me still things lets just take her but I know it really would cause her a great distress and would go on for several weeks/ months.

See i'm bloody off on one again now
You don't have to go through this, you can take her. You said she is upset by any move earlier so she is going to be disturbed regardless. But she will soon settle, it will also help you settle, being reunited with a pet after quarantine is a very good feeling..
Old Mar 16th 2012, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

AndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really nice

We faced the same situation, then eventually decided to bring her with us. At the time she was 3 years old. The quarantine for her was definately an ordeal and a month seemed like several. She was so pleased to see us when we took her out of quarantine but took a few weeks to return to her normal playful self.

She loves living here. She is so settled and content and we are so pleased we brought her over.

The costs were quite high.....over £2000 including injections, flight and quarantine costs...but to us, well worth it.

Good Luck!
Old Mar 16th 2012, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
You don't have to go through this, you can take her. You said she is upset by any move earlier so she is going to be disturbed regardless. But she will soon settle, it will also help you settle, being reunited with a pet after quarantine is a very good feeling..
I pleaded with hubby earlier and he said to ring up the pet shippers we had ear marked to use for our dog to see if they would take out cat in when we leave and then fly her out soon after.
Then they said something about had she had her rabies vaccination?
An suggested I contact Defra as the rules had now changed regarding requirements, couldn't get through to Defra but looked on here, then my husband got through to Defra to confirm what we'd gleamed from here.

One of my best friends arrived just after 5pm - she'd come over to cut my hair but faced with a crumpled teary mess and needless to say by the time i'd calmed down it was a bit late to be cutting my hair.

Even if we had the Rabies shot done tomorrow which we can't do at our vets as Saturdays are for medical emergencies
she would need 4 weeks after before she could have the blood test!
To reduce the time in quarantine to only 30 days she would need to remain in this country for 150 days after the blood test!
We've now sold the house, short exchange as the start of the chain is a first time buyer, we should be moving out mid to late May!
I then rang round in tears to family and friends to see if they'd have our cat short term, my husband reminded me that she would probably just start to settle in somewhere and then she'd be put the stress of moving and stuck in a cattery at quarantine and we wanted to avoid putting her through a lot of stress, and she lost a lot of weight...

When we've moved we've never been able to keep her in for more than 2 weeks.... so now i'm back to worrying if I put her through all this I feel like Im being really really selfish, the last time we moved and she became thin and stressed and miserable I worried we might lose her

It doesn't help when she licks my hand and lays upside down wanting a rub from her chin to her belly

I'm not someone who cries at anything and everything. So my husbands poor face sank and said are we doing the right thing moving? For so many reasons we are - but this evening everything came to an inpass over our cat.
I love her dearly, she has been a pain in the bum at times but I never imagined parting with her permanently and it's hit me like truck.

This is really one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make, she's been with us for so many years now An I want to be selfish and take her with me I can see her laying on the grass over there and soaking up the sun. But my heart is very heavy as I know that for her the less stress the better
Old Mar 17th 2012, 1:27 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I pleaded with hubby earlier and he said to ring up the pet shippers we had ear marked to use for our dog to see if they would take out cat in when we leave and then fly her out soon after.
An suggested I contact Defra as the rules had now changed regarding requirements, couldn't get through to Defra but looked on here, then my husband got through to Defra to confirm what we'd gleamed from here.

One of my best friends arrived just after 5pm - she'd come over to cut my hair but faced with a crumpled teary mess and needless to say by the time i'd calmed down it was a bit late to be cutting my hair.

Even if we had the Rabies shot done tomorrow which we can't do at our vets as Saturdays are for medical emergencies
To reduce the time in quarantine to only 30 days she would need to remain in this country for 150 days after the blood test!
We've now sold the house, short exchange as the start of the chain is a first time buyer, we should be moving out mid to late May!
I then rang round in tears to family and friends to see if they'd have our cat short term, my husband reminded me that she would probably just start to settle in somewhere and then she'd be put the stress of moving and stuck in a cattery at quarantine and we wanted to avoid putting her through a lot of stress, and she lost a lot of weight...

When we've moved we've never been able to keep her in for more than 2 weeks.... so now i'm back to worrying if I put her through all this I feel like Im being really really selfish, the last time we moved and she became thin and stressed and miserable I worried we might lose her

It doesn't help when she licks my hand and lays upside down wanting a rub from her chin to her belly

I'm not someone who cries at anything and everything. So my husbands poor face sank and said are we doing the right thing moving? For so many reasons we are - but this evening everything came to an inpass over our cat.
I love her dearly, she has been a pain in the bum at times but I never imagined parting with her permanently and it's hit me like truck.

This is really one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make, she's been with us for so many years now An I want to be selfish and take her with me I can see her laying on the grass over there and soaking up the sun. But my heart is very heavy as I know that for her the less stress the better
Jen, don't do it to yourself, you know how stressful migrating is and whilst I know you love your cat - to do this at the last minute to throw a spanner into your already hectic plans is not only going to upset you further but your cat will most certainly pick up on that.

She does not know you are going and when you go she may be quiet for a bit but she will learn to love whoever feeds her and provides her with her basic needs.

Concentrate on getting a nice home for her. Many cats do not respond well to moving, Gordon took 6 months to settle into life here - seriously, although I am glad I brought him, I underestimated the effect on him - he is fine now though.

You are not abandoning her so dont let anyone make you feel guilty, you have enough on your plate without adding last minute traumas to the mix. Get the thoughts out of your head to bring her - you know it will be hard to keep her inside once you get here, you know that.

So start looking for a home and l am sure you will find someone, make a poster - put it in the vets, do anything, keep your eyes open.

Then concentrate on the kids, hubby and the dog and yourself and take it from there.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

bruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to all

We had this awful decision but with three cats
I love my cats they are like my kids
I brought mine over one was 2 one was 5 and one was 7
Where I go my pets go . If I ever returned to uk
I be bringing back 3 dogs too as now I have 6 pets lol
My cats love perth love the sun ... Best thing I ever done was bring them with me , as I believe I have them for life I think it would break your cats heart giving her to someone else . some people look as a cat as just a pet , I look at them as part of my family . It was great for my four kids to have familiarity . And for my cats to know we didn't leave them ... I personally would of been heart broken for the rest of my life wondering if I had done the right thing by leaving them ...
I rather take them
With me even though we only had £10,000 to bring over
We rent a place and it's all good ...
We have considered going home and if we can't bring our pets were not going lol . But that's us .
You sound like your cat is part of your family too
And not classed as just a pet ... I bet none of you on here who have left your pets behind , would leave their kids behind ?
To some people like me there is no difference .
You take on an animal for life .. Only under circumstances beyond your control
Is the only time to rehome your kitty ... that's my thought tho

Hope you make the right decision for you
Hugs
Old Mar 19th 2012, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Please don't stress, somethings in life you cannot change and you have to go with it, your cat will have a great home and you never know a new kitten once you get over here will reduce the impact for your children, I am sure that you will do the best you can and that is all anybody can ever do, don't beat yourself up....
Old Mar 19th 2012, 3:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macy
Please don't stress, somethings in life you cannot change and you have to go with it, your cat will have a great home and you never know a new kitten once you get over here will reduce the impact for your children, I am sure that you will do the best you can and that is all anybody can ever do, don't beat yourself up....
Surely the worst thing they can do is get another cat? Perhaps also to be abandoned down the line. If people cannot commit to loking after their pets for life then they really need to stop acquiring them. They are not toys and rescue centres are already full of animals that have been left behind when owners go overseas. This is a generic comment and definitely not aimed at OP who is clearly very torn, I just feel so sad when I think and see pics of animals in rescue centres, especially the adult cats and dogs.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Mar 19th 2012 at 3:06 am.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 3:30 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Gordon sure loves his life in Perth and has become even more naughty than he was in England. Last year he sicked up a gheko in the kitchen, must have got into the house somehow as he doesnt go out - it was revolting!

He is demanding, eats like a pig and will only eat Snappy Tom - one flavour, it is as though he is making us pay for his journey. He bashes on our bedroom door and demands to come in at night, if we dont let him he trashes the kitchen and scratches the sofa.

He is in charge - so glad I brought him though, he is 10 years old next month.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Surely the worst thing they can do is get another cat? Perhaps also to be abandoned down the line. If people cannot commit to loking after their pets for life then they really need to stop acquiring them. They are not toys and rescue centres are already full of animals that have been left behind when owners go overseas. This is a generic comment and definitely not aimed at OP who is clearly very torn, I just feel so sad when I think and see pics of animals in rescue centres, especially the adult cats and dogs.
Thanks for all your help at making me feel crappier than i do already about the situation. I would never abandon my cat and we haw never treated her like a toy!!!
We have found her a fantastic home to go to here so she won't be going into a rescue centre - that's where we got her from. I'd dearly love to be able to bring her, I love her dearly - but knowing her temperament which you do not would it be fair to have her in quarantine for several months knowing that it would cause her a great deal of distress - she struggles with short car journeys and talking to her vet a short while ago the trip alone could possibly kill her?!
Had that not been the case she would most certainly be coming with us - as we are taking our placid dog!

You don't know me - don't assume we get our pets just for the sake of it!!! You have no idea!
Old Mar 19th 2012, 9:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your help at making me feel crappier than i do already about the situation. I would never abandon my cat and we haw never treated her like a toy!!!
We have found her a fantastic home to go to here so she won't be going into a rescue centre - that's where we got her from. I'd dearly love to be able to bring her, I love her dearly - but knowing her temperament which you do not would it be fair to have her in quarantine for several months knowing that it would cause her a great deal of distress - she struggles with short car journeys and talking to her vet a short while ago the trip alone could possibly kill her?!
Had that not been the case she would most certainly be coming with us - as we are taking our placid dog!

You don't know me - don't assume we get our pets just for the sake of it!!! You have no idea!
I think I did warn you. Congrats on finding a loving home for her and rest assured, whilst you will never stop missing her, the fact that you know she is happy and loved does help. The 'you wouldn't leave your kids' comment is particularly unpleasant and ignorant imo but if it makes other people feel good about themselves then, in the words of a 15 year old 'Whatever!'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.