Medicare

Old Jun 15th 2003, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

ested is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medicare

Am new here so sorry if you already know this!

Was advised to phone Medicare to check whether we would be covered. Phoned and was told that I was definately not covered and would have to arrange my own health insurance.

Phoned again a week later to be told that we were covered under the UK reciprocal agreement!

I am now the proud owner of a temporary medicare card!

Hope that helps!
Old Jun 15th 2003, 10:36 pm

kevpreece is an unknown quantity at this point

hi there,

so what did you have to do, ie forms that you filled, proof of visa etc.....?

and how long is a temporary card for ?

cheers

kev
Old Jun 15th 2003, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

Default Simple......everything here is!

That title isn't supposed to sound rude...lol...rather to underline the fact that once in Aus I have found unnecessary bureaucracy to be almost non existent!

Once I had my new visa stuck in my passport I took it into a medicare office ( again 5 mins down the road in Westfields)
5 min wait in line.
2mins filling a simple form.
2mins lady inputting the data.....
Hey presto a temporary medicare card which has to be renewed once a yr on temp visas.

Hope that helps.
Esther
Old Jun 15th 2003, 10:49 pm

kevpreece is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Simple......everything here is!

Originally posted by ested
That title isn't supposed to sound rude...lol...rather to underline the fact that once in Aus I have found unnecessary bureaucracy to be almost non existent!

Once I had my new visa stuck in my passport I took it into a medicare office ( again 5 mins down the road in Westfields)
5 min wait in line.
2mins filling a simple form.
2mins lady inputting the data.....
Hey presto a temporary medicare card which has to be renewed once a yr on temp visas.

Hope that helps.
Esther

thanks a lot,

cheers kev..
Old Jun 16th 2003, 5:17 am
Just Joined

stone6 is an unknown quantity at this point

when we were on a temp visa my daughter broke her arm, we were covered by medicare for some of the treatment but not all, as the agreement only covers 'immeadiatly nessesary treatment only' and apparently plastering of a childs broken arm isn't covered!! Once you have been diagnosed with something which turns out to be not covered under medicare getting insurance will be nearly immpossible - so be warned. Also i was involved in a car accident and as I arrived at the hospital, neck in a brace, attached to a heart monitor with an oxygen mask on - was stopped on the stretcher in the doorway and asked for the name of my insurance company!

vicki
Old Jun 16th 2003, 8:20 am
Just Joined

Default Too true

I did know that it was for immediate treatment only but assumed that things like broken arms would be covered!!
Blimey bad experiences you had. I would agree with your suggestion that you should check out exactly what is and isn't covered.

For nurses i know it is not an issue as we will be covered by our employers. This was a part of my visa issue so I wonder if it applies to all people sponsored for 4yr working visas.

Esther