Emigrating and Permite Types

Emigrating and Permite Types

Old Jun 15th 2003, 1:20 pm
rwb
Just Joined

rwb is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Emigrating and Permite Types

Hi Everyone,

Thank you to all those who've replied to my previous questions. Sorry if I have'nt replied before but things have been so hectic (work, emigration papers, kids, etc...) that I have'nt had much time.

Things are progressing very fast now. I was offered a job in Christchurch last week so now the emigration process needs to move quite quickly. On that note I've got a few questions.

We're not too keen on spending a lot of money on an emigration consulting service. We originally thought of Four Corners but were very dissapointed with them last week. They first quoted us a price of 2850 £, for a complete package. When last week we asked them to requote on the basis that we don't need their head hunting services or relocation facilities it took them well over 3 days to get back only to say that they would'nt. On top of which, they were'nt up to scratch on the latest imigration issue's which they should have been considering that they were published on the NIS web site.

Sorry for the rambling but it get's me when someone is, let's face it, trying to rip you off. My question is, has anyone done the emigration process by themselves ? If so what were your experiences ? Any tips on pit falls to avoid ?

I'm just wondering about the type of permit I should apply for now. I should have enough points for a residency permit but this could take longer and I don't think my future employer want's to wait untill christmass for me to come over. I know a work permit can be faster to get ... but how about a residency permit after that, as the latter is really our goal. Can I apply for a work permit now and lodge a residency permit application once in NZ ? According to 4corners I can't, but somehow I find that very hard to believe.

This questions is a bit more practical. What are the Christchurch suburb area's like from a housing perspective, taking into consideration that we are first planning to rent ? Which area's should I avoid ? We're looking at a moderate rent rate, don't need anything flashy (although that would be nice ) but on the other hand don't want anything in a shady area either ?

What's the schooling like in Christchurch ? We have 3 kids (6, 4 and 1.5 years of age). Can anyone recommend any good school's bearing in mind that we would like to live within walking distance of that school ?

The wife would like to know if the shop's are open on Sunday's (trust a woman to come up with that one haha).
Well that's the list so far. I'm sure we'll have more . Apart from all the admin work involved I'm looking quite forward to this. Just a question of time. Last January it was all just a plan ... now we're several steps closer to reality .

Well fingers crossed, hopefully we'll be in NZ by the end of August.

Thanks in advance for you feedback and input.

Robert
Old Jun 15th 2003, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Emigrating and Permite Types

Originally posted by rwb
Hi Everyone,

Thank you to all those who've replied to my previous questions. Sorry if I have'nt replied before but things have been so hectic (work, emigration papers, kids, etc...) that I have'nt had much time.

Things are progressing very fast now. I was offered a job in Christchurch last week so now the emigration process needs to move quite quickly. On that note I've got a few questions.

We're not too keen on spending a lot of money on an emigration consulting service. We originally thought of Four Corners but were very dissapointed with them last week. They first quoted us a price of 2850 £, for a complete package. When last week we asked them to requote on the basis that we don't need their head hunting services or relocation facilities it took them well over 3 days to get back only to say that they would'nt. On top of which, they were'nt up to scratch on the latest imigration issue's which they should have been considering that they were published on the NIS web site.

Sorry for the rambling but it get's me when someone is, let's face it, trying to rip you off. My question is, has anyone done the emigration process by themselves ? If so what were your experiences ? Any tips on pit falls to avoid ?
£2850?!?! I almost fell of my chair when I read that. You weren't nearly ripped off, you were nearly Royally ripped off!!! Since you've got a job offer, that's the hardest part over. Seriously.

I'm just wondering about the type of permit I should apply for now. I should have enough points for a residency permit but this could take longer and I don't think my future employer want's to wait untill christmass for me to come over. I know a work permit can be faster to get ... but how about a residency permit after that, as the latter is really our goal. Can I apply for a work permit now and lodge a residency permit application once in NZ ? According to 4corners I can't, but somehow I find that very hard to believe.
It all depends on how quick you want to get to NZ. If you are prepared to visit NZ House in London, you will be able to get a work visa there and then. This means you could get your visa Monday, be on the plane Tuesday, arrive weds/thurs & start work Friday! If you have a couple of months to spare, you could indeed lodge your PR application in the UK, however you'd have to wait 40 odd days to get a police cert, & then wait anything from a few weeks to months for NZIS to process your application. Getting a work visa means you can skip the wait and go whenever you are ready.

There is no problem whatsoever applying for a work visa from the UK, travelling to NZ, starting work and when you are ready applying for PR. If they are saying this can't be done, they are talking out of their rear ends, and has confirmed even more my suspicion that the so called 'Immigration Consultants' are just out to rip us off.

This questions is a bit more practical. What are the Christchurch suburb area's like from a housing perspective, taking into consideration that we are first planning to rent ? Which area's should I avoid ? We're looking at a moderate rent rate, don't need anything flashy (although that would be nice ) but on the other hand don't want anything in a shady area either ?

What's the schooling like in Christchurch ? We have 3 kids (6, 4 and 1.5 years of age). Can anyone recommend any good school's bearing in mind that we would like to live within walking distance of that school ?
I'm not really in the know about the ins and outs of Christchurch as I live in Auckland. Some of the other regulars on the board like Paula (Watt Dabney) & JWW live down that way & hopefully will be able to help you out...hope you don't mind me mentioning your names guys!

The wife would like to know if the shop's are open on Sunday's (trust a woman to come up with that one haha).
Well that's the list so far. I'm sure we'll have more . Apart from all the admin work involved I'm looking quite forward to this. Just a question of time. Last January it was all just a plan ... now we're several steps closer to reality .
NZ aint That backward! Yes, shops are open on Sundays. Usually from 10am until 4

Well fingers crossed, hopefully we'll be in NZ by the end of August.

Thanks in advance for you feedback and input.

Robert
Congratulations on getting a job offer, the rest will be pretty much plain sailing. Good luck for your move to Christchurch

Russ.

Last edited by BritboyNZ; Jun 15th 2003 at 1:44 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2003, 7:31 pm
rwb
Just Joined

Default Thanks

Thanks for your reply Ross. You pretty much confirmed my suspicions about these emigration consultants. I think I'll just process the application myself and save the expense on something more usefull.

Robert
Old Jun 15th 2003, 7:32 pm
rwb
Just Joined

Default Sorry Russ ... I think I need some sleep :)

Sorry that should have read Russ not Ross. Boy I could do with some sleep :-)
Old Jun 16th 2003, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light

Robert

I would highly recommend you going to NZ house in London.

They are very helpful and will offer "Free" advice. We met the head of emigration for the UK at a show in York recently and he was commited to offering help and support to all of those who made the effort to go down there.
I asked if they were there to trip you up and stop you getting to NZ and he said that it was the opposite.
Clearly it may not be easy for you to get to London. I work here so its just a tube ride away for me.

We are going to use an agent in Chester just for the initial assesment at this stage. Cost of £95 and they are looking at our options of getting to NZ.
We will probably then go it alone.

Good luck

PF