Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicals- Shop around

Medicals- Shop around

Old Jun 13th 2003, 8:39 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Medicals- Shop around

Just thought I'd drop in a post about my experience yesterday, I spent the morning glued to the telephone trying to arrange medicals, statutory declarations etc. Firstly I finally managed to contact Dr Rawson of Hull who now works from the Bupa hospital and not Nuffield (if you would like his new number please pm me)
The medicals Xrays could be done on Wednesday no problem because after that he was going on holiday at his prices he could afford to do a week of medicals and then holiday for a month, £700+ for 4 medicals. I had already had my brief from Sean to phone round all the medical centre in a 100 mile radius. I tried Nottingham but no-one answered, York couldn't fit us in until 4th July and Manchester 7th July. I was all set for giving up when I remembered that I hadn't phoned Sheffield. What a helpful young lady (when I finally got put through to the correct department) I managed to get a cancellation for next Thursday sadly the xrays are done at a separate centre and we couldn't get an appointment on the Thursday morning but she could fit us in on the Wednesday. Two trips to Sheffield is definitely worth the saving of £200 and we don't need to pay bridge tolls.
I can't believe the difference in price it would appear that being on the panel of doctors for some is a licence to print money!!!!!!

As for the statutory declaration I thought legal secretaries were supposed to be intelligent and efficient they made me feel as though I was talking in an alien language. Most solicitors couldn't give me a price for putting their paw print on a bit of paper that would allow me to take my daughter (17) who up until very recently had never had contact with her "father". I have now thankfully found one that will only charge me £5 per signature and not the £150 per hour that another wanted to charge me even though I have already had the document drawn up!!!!!!
I always knew I was in the wrong line of work

Anyway enough of this waffle sorry if I've gone on to much but share and share a like

Debbie
Old Jun 13th 2003, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Wolfen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Medicals- Shop around

Just to show the other side of the coin.

We (2 adults + 3 children, 5yrs, 2yrs & 3 mths) had our meds, bloods and Xrays done for a grand total of £280 at doctors in Bristol. That inculded blood tests for tattoo`s for myself and my wife also (extra £34).

So it does pay to shop around. It seems that medicals for Migration purposes are a licence for doctors to print money.
Old Jun 13th 2003, 9:21 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Wolfen

We (2 adults + 3 children, 5yrs, 2yrs & 3 mths) had our meds, bloods and Xrays done for a grand total of £280 at doctors in Bristol. That inculded blood tests for tattoo`s for myself and my wife also (extra £34).

So it does pay to shop around. It seems that medicals for Migration purposes are a licence for doctors to print money.

Hi Wolfen,
Maybe not so many people migrate from up here so competition between doctor's isn't so fierce!! I also have a tattoo and a piercing so I need that other blood test.
Debbie
Old Jun 13th 2003, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by cresta57
Hi Wolfen,
Maybe not so many people migrate from up here so competition between doctor's isn't so fierce!! I also have a tattoo and a piercing so I need that other blood test.
Debbie
For the cost of the drive down to Bristol, you could probably still save yourself some money!!!
Old Jun 13th 2003, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

fido is an unknown quantity at this point

hi ya,partner and i considering the move to nz,we have two children 5 & 3,what does the medical involve for them,blood tests seam a bit much to put on the kids?
thanks
Old Jun 13th 2003, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by fido
hi ya,partner and i considering the move to nz,we have two children 5 & 3,what does the medical involve for them,blood tests seam a bit much to put on the kids?
thanks

Dont worry, blood tests are only for adults..... The worst the kids have to do is to provide a Urine sample and thats only those over 5. For the 5 year old, if he or she is reading yet there is a sight test (very easy). The rest is just the doctor checking breathing etc..... Not very dificult at all....

Cheers
Neil
Old Jun 13th 2003, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

fido is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont worry, blood tests are only for adults..... The worst the kids have to do is to provide a Urine sample and thats only those over 5. For the 5 year old, if he or she is reading yet there is a sight test (very easy). The rest is just the doctor checking breathing etc..... Not very dificult at all....

Cheers
Neil

thanks for that reply neil,puts our minds at rest.no worries regarding our health but didn't want to put the children through too much
thanks again