Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicals and Police Checks in Bristol - how long is the wait

Medicals and Police Checks in Bristol - how long is the wait

Old May 14th 2006, 5:12 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Medicals and Police Checks in Bristol - how long is the wait

Hi
We have been advised by our agent to get our medicals and police checks done (unrequested). We applied as MODL back in February so hopefully we are getting a bit closer to them actually looking at our application.

Was wondered in anyone had any idea how long the wait is for getting a medical and police checks done, is it a case of booking up and waiting several weeks. Husband has a couple of medical issues we are trying to sort out at the moment so are putting of getting medicals done as worried we will fail based on some blood tests he has to keep having (very low blood count since Xmas and no reason for it so being referred to hosp).

Any advise would be great and any info on how Jan/Feb applicants are getting on to keep me going, I feel like the weeks are dragging now, I just want to get there!

Will be putting the house on the market in a couple of weeks so that should be a bit of a boost, doesn't feel like we are getting any closer but I guess we are.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 14th 2006, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicals and Police Checks in Bristol - how long is the wait

Originally Posted by Vernons
Hi
We have been advised by our agent to get our medicals and police checks done (unrequested). We applied as MODL back in February so hopefully we are getting a bit closer to them actually looking at our application.

Was wondered in anyone had any idea how long the wait is for getting a medical and police checks done, is it a case of booking up and waiting several weeks. Husband has a couple of medical issues we are trying to sort out at the moment so are putting of getting medicals done as worried we will fail based on some blood tests he has to keep having (very low blood count since Xmas and no reason for it so being referred to hosp).

Any advise would be great and any info on how Jan/Feb applicants are getting on to keep me going, I feel like the weeks are dragging now, I just want to get there!

Will be putting the house on the market in a couple of weeks so that should be a bit of a boost, doesn't feel like we are getting any closer but I guess we are.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

Police checks take no more than 40 days by law.

If your hubby is currently having tests etc, then I personally wouldn't do the medicals until they are requested. I am quite shocked that your agent has advised you to do them now to be honest. It could be that your hubby needs to sign a health undertaking, in which case you will only get 6 months to validate your visa.

My advise would be to try and get the medical issue sorted first or at least have as much info as you can before you go for them.
Old May 14th 2006, 5:23 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks in advance.
10 days to get the police check. As to the meds - depends on where you're getting them done. We did look at Bristol but they were booked solid for months ahead and ended up going to Gloucester in the end. Give one of the approved doctors practices a ring and they'll tell you what the time frame is.
Old May 14th 2006, 5:23 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Yeah I think you are right. Our agent is not aware of the tests Ian is having, it is a bit of a long story so I wont bore you with it. In a nutshell Ian had a bad back back in January and went to the doctors, they felt around his tummy as well due to the symptoms he was giving. His back got better but they sent him for a scan to make sure everything was okay, the scan showed something as looking enlarged so he was then referred to another department. This department cleared him on the enlarged issue but in the meanwhile the doctor also took blood and this came back low. He has had he blood taken 4 times now and it just keeps staying low which as the doctor pointed out could just be how Ian is. ANyway doctor is aware of Oz and our need to clear things up so she has referred him to the blood dept so hopefully they will sign him off as being fine and then we can go for medicals!! All of this as a result of a bad back!! Nightmare!

Thanks and sorry just realised I went into detail anyway!
Old May 14th 2006, 5:25 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Originally Posted by Hutch
10 days to get the police check. As to the meds - depends on where you're getting them done. We did look at Bristol but they were booked solid for months ahead and ended up going to Gloucester in the end. Give one of the approved doctors practices a ring and they'll tell you what the time frame is.

Thanks for that, well look around the surrounding areas too. Thought we might have a wait on our hands, it is so frustrating. Can you remember how much poilice checks and medicals cost? Do they work saturdays (am a teacher)!!
Old May 14th 2006, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Yeah I think you are right. Our agent is not aware of the tests Ian is having, it is a bit of a long story so I wont bore you with it. In a nutshell Ian had a bad back back in January and went to the doctors, they felt around his tummy as well due to the symptoms he was giving. His back got better but they sent him for a scan to make sure everything was okay, the scan showed something as looking enlarged so he was then referred to another department. This department cleared him on the enlarged issue but in the meanwhile the doctor also took blood and this came back low. He has had he blood taken 4 times now and it just keeps staying low which as the doctor pointed out could just be how Ian is. ANyway doctor is aware of Oz and our need to clear things up so she has referred him to the blood dept so hopefully they will sign him off as being fine and then we can go for medicals!! All of this as a result of a bad back!! Nightmare!

Thanks and sorry just realised I went into detail anyway!

That's Ok Good luck, I hope they get him signed off soon.
Old May 14th 2006, 5:36 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, well look around the surrounding areas too. Thought we might have a wait on our hands, it is so frustrating. Can you remember how much poilice checks and medicals cost? Do they work saturdays (am a teacher)!!
The police check was £10 I think (got 'em done a while ago) - you just go to a page like this one to get the right address and they do a search and send back the results. For my wife and son, meds were about 60 quid a pop and the wife's x-ray was a further 50 quid or so - so £170 all in.
Old May 14th 2006, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

We applied for our police checks at the end of January - they seemed to take forever but in reality it was probably about 6 weeks.

As for meds, I rang up and we could have them the next day !! It's luck of the draw really. They put aside an afternoon a week (Wed) when the surgery is closed and some pensioned GP's come into complete them. Only issue is having to have x rays done in Clifton first about a week before, and then picking them up a few days later.

I'd tell your agent about your hubbys health issues and see what they say - they are the experts and that's what you pay them for.
Old May 14th 2006, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

mattvicki has a spectacular aura aboutmattvicki has a spectacular aura aboutmattvicki has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Medicals and Police Checks in Bristol - how long is the wait

Hi
We submitted PCCs to Avon & Somerset (at Portishead) directly, took 36 days to come back.

We booked meds for Bath (in March), Booked on Monday, had Xrays(Bath Clinic) on Tues, had meds on Thurs(Pultney Practice), sent off to Sydney following Thurs....excellent service which I'd recommend...especially friendly to families but a bit pricey (£120 meds for adults/£60 children + £60 for xrays each --£480 total for 2 adults + 2 small children)

Good Luck

Matt
Old May 14th 2006, 8:33 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Originally Posted by mattvicki
We submitted PCCs to Avon & Somerset (at Portishead) directly, took 36 days to come back.

We booked meds for Bath (in March), Booked on Monday, had Xrays(Bath Clinic) on Tues, had meds on Thurs(Pultney Practice), sent off to Sydney following Thurs....excellent service which I'd recommend...especially friendly to families but a bit pricey (£120 meds for adults/£60 children + £60 for xrays each --£480 total for 2 adults + 2 small children)

Good Luck

Matt

Hi Thanks for that, will give Bath a go. Though Police checks would be really quick but doesn't seem to be. Better get the forms done tonight!! Once forms are done where do you post them? Thanks
Old May 14th 2006, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

mattvicki has a spectacular aura aboutmattvicki has a spectacular aura aboutmattvicki has a spectacular aura about

Hi Thanks for that, will give Bath a go. Though Police checks would be really quick but doesn't seem to be. Better get the forms done tonight!! Once forms are done where do you post them? Thanks
The Data Protection Unit, Avon and Somerset Constabulary,
PO Box 37, Valley Road, Portishead, BRISTOL BS20 8QJ

Forms can be downloaed here:
http://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk...ct_access.aspx

Cheers

M
Old May 14th 2006, 8:42 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

The Data Protection Unit, Avon and Somerset Constabulary,
PO Box 37, Valley Road, Portishead, BRISTOL BS20 8QJ

Forms can be downloaed here:
http://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk...ct_access.aspx

Cheers

M
Thank you, just been trying to find them.
Old May 14th 2006, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

fox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nice

Good Luck

Matt
I would agree we used Pultney practice and they were excellent, especially with the kids.Police checks took just over a month .As for the waiting it is difficult (our application took a year)but its worth it in the end.Good luck