Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicals - that old chestnut

Medicals - that old chestnut

Old Apr 17th 2002, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medicals - that old chestnut

Hope this isn't too much of a dumb question, but I seem to be reading conflicting advice RE: medicals.

My husband applied skilled independant to London Aug 2001 - we sent police checks (which we'll obviously have to do again) and got letter (TEAM 1) acknowledgement letter in Sept 2001. But...we thought we had to wait until we heard through a letter about getting our medicals done. Though I've read on this site about lots of people getting their medicals done first. Aggh.

Obviously, we're just desperate to do anything that will speed up the processing. Seems that those of us who applied to London really cocked up doesn't it? Still, if I have any sign that they're near looking at our application, I'll feel a bit better.

Thanks for listening guys.

Lisa B
Old Apr 17th 2002, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Medicals - that old chestnut

Hi Ya Lisa B
Yes we cocked up to sending our application to london in september but we will get there , well eventually.
We as they say frontend loaded our application with police checks and medicals , which our agent at that point advised us to do. Yet it hasnt done us any favours yet as we are still here.
So i would wait now till your called try asking a agent or someone,sorry cant be of more help
Joanne
Old Apr 17th 2002, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

iancurtis is an unknown quantity at this point

I was under the impression that you had to wait until they requested the medicals, is this not correct ? Are there some parts that are always asked for that you can do at the start ?
Old Apr 17th 2002, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ian
I dont really know , all i know is our agent front end loded ( these guys used to work for the government processing visas) and if you have read go-matildas article they are pushing through applications that have been frontend loaded ( a risk you see we took is that they would be processed in the year,or we will have to have our medicals redone , but looks like they are putting an extension on them , as its not our faults they are taking so long)
We didnt fill in our application so i cant comment about a part to fill in on the form sorry
Old Apr 17th 2002, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

iancurtis is an unknown quantity at this point

What exactly did you send away with your application ? Is there a standard medical that they always ask for ? I've heard others say that they had to get x-rays but some didn't. Did you ?
Old Apr 17th 2002, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Ian
Just phoned hubby , he said we frontend loaded because we went on the skills matching list ( yet to be proved) and thats the only reason you frontend load.
We had our medicals done at two places as the place we picked didnt have xray fac so paul and i had a chest xray kids to young , and we both had hiv test there as well. Then we picked these results up a week later and went to a doctor who did the full medicals on us all ( also checked the xray and blood results) sealed it all up , i then sent it to our agent and he with our application sent it on to london.
Will write if i think of more
Joanne
Old Apr 18th 2002, 11:00 am
Wardy

Hi Lisa

> My husband applied skilled independant to London Aug 2001 - we sent police checks
    > (which we'll obviously have to do again) and got letter (TEAM 1) acknowledgement
    > letter in Sept 2001. But...we thought we had to wait until we heard through a
    > letter about getting our medicals done. Though I've read on this site about lots of
    > people getting their medicals done first. Aggh.

From what I remember at the time, we found some explanatory notes on the AHC site.
These said to send in medicals and police records with forms, which we did. I do
remember that it wasn't entirely clear, but we decided to send everything in at
once,it was only money if we had to redo things

>
    > Seems that those of us who applied to London really cocked up doesn't it?
    > Still, if I have any sign that they're near looking at our application, I'll
    > feel a bit better.

Couldn't agree more, it's really infuriating, isn't it?

> Thanks for listening guys.

It's encouraging to hear someone else who feels the same, you've made me feel much
better, thanks!

Caryn

Old Apr 30th 2002, 7:00 pm
Recipe

In Winter 2000/1 when the London pack instructed applicants to get their medicals at
the start of the process to 'save time' ... then came the IT directive and everything
turned upside down, and the advice went back to 'wait for your medicals'. I think
that's the people they are trying to help (and I'm grateful!)

jopaulss <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Ian I dont really know , all i know is our agent front end loded ( these guys used
    > to work for the government processing visas) and if you have read go-matildas
    > article they are pushing through applications that have been frontend loaded ( a
    > risk you see we took is that they would be processed in the year,or we will have to
    > have our medicals redone , but looks like they are putting an extension on them ,
    > as its not our faults they are taking so long) We didnt fill in our application so
    > i cant comment about a part to fill in on the form sorry