Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicals + Drinks

Medicals + Drinks

Old Dec 4th 2006, 10:47 am
Got our visas

julie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of light
Default Medicals + Drinks

Hi Guys

I'm off to my christmas do on Saturday. I've off to Knightbridges in London, so is going to be lots of cocktails and champers on offer. My bosses will be paying of course. lol

Unfortunately I have booked our medicals to be done the following Monday. Will this cause us a problem? ( Drink in the blood stream etc)

I do intend making the most on Saturday night and please don't tell me not to drink!

Cheers
Old Dec 4th 2006, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicals + Drinks

Originally Posted by julie hilton
Hi Guys

I'm off to my christmas do on Saturday. I've off to Knightbridges in London, so is going to be lots of cocktails and champers on offer. My bosses will be paying of course. lol

Unfortunately I have booked our medicals to be done the following Monday. Will this cause us a problem? ( Drink in the blood stream etc)

I do intend making the most on Saturday night and please don't tell me not to drink!

Cheers

When we had our meds, the doc asked my hubby how much he drank. Hubby said oh about 7 pints a week and the doc said You'll need to drink more than that to keep up with them Aussies

I think you'll be fine, just don't go over the top
Old Dec 4th 2006, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll be ok provided you look vaguely alive the next day!
I'm fairly sure they do not check for alcohol - they are looking for diseases in your blood and protein in your urine (diabetes etc).
Have a good time!
Old Dec 4th 2006, 11:11 am
Got our visas

julie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by esperanza
I think you'll be ok provided you look vaguely alive the next day!
I'm fairly sure they do not check for alcohol - they are looking for diseases in your blood and protein in your urine (diabetes etc).
Have a good time!
That's great news. I can get completely hammered then!!!!

Thanks
Old Dec 4th 2006, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

That's great news. I can get completely hammered then!!!!

Thanks

Hmmmm..... as long as you're not green and vomiting the next day!!
Old Dec 4th 2006, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

If you are worried make sure you drink gallons of water the day after your binge!!!
Old Dec 4th 2006, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys

Cheers
Hi,

You should be fine assuming you don't have pre-hypertension since alcohol can raise systolic BP and might push you into the referral zone

A small rise of systolic pressure often occurs with social drinking.
{"The Cardiovascular System and Alcohol," Timothy Regan, MD, Sep. 2002 - www.health20-20.org}

Mark
Old Dec 4th 2006, 10:49 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys

Cheers
Julie
IMO, take it easy with the drink.
It will raise your liver enzymes and may give them cause for concern as it could mean other things.

Andrew
Old Dec 5th 2006, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

kateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to all

hi julie,

we went to a wedding the day before our medicals in nightsbridge! we got hammered, we really tried to stay sober but everything was free and they were our best friends that got married.
the next morning (morning of medicals) we woke up , dying, hopped on tube, running late and drank 2 litres of water each and 2 bottles of lucozade sport on the way down to knightsbridge.
at the medicals, they asked me to pee in a pot, so dehyrated i could not pee, they had to give me water to drink to pee!! we passed everything and am now sitting in brisbane!.
this was last april.
the doctors and staff were lovely, dont worry about a thing!

best of luck

kate.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 7:09 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys

Cheers
My hubby had been on a stag do the day before his medicals and he worried like hell that he was still intoxicated which he probably was...but no problems whatsoever.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

markcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the rough

I personaly think it depends on how much you want to go to Oz - is it worth the risk of blowing your medicals so that you can get slaughtered?

Would you turn up for a big job interview with a raving hangover?

I think if there was a problem with the blood tests, BP etc that they would probably get you to come back and repeat them just to make sure it wasn't a blip (probably at your expense though!).

Our medicals (Handsworth Wood, Birmingham) were a fairly simple affair as we are both fairly young and have had no previous medical problems and the medical examination was pretty superficial - and the doctor did the same joke as Wendy said (must be in the how to do a medical handbook!).

If the party is on Saturday night and the medicals are on Monday there probably wont be a problem, as has already been suggested drink loads of water on the Sunday, plenty of fruit and veg etc and by Monday you should be OK.

I can never see the point of getting completely wasted (even if it is free booze) as I always feel so awfull the next day and nothing is worth that! Good luck and have fun .
Old Dec 5th 2006, 8:09 am
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

We were in the same situation. We got so wasted on the Saturday night and then had problems getting to the medicals because of car troubles and late running trains and racing through the city. We just joked with the doctor doing the meds when my BP was slightly high. As long as you don't drink the night before you'll be fine

Originally Posted by markcrook
I personaly think it depends on how much you want to go to Oz - is it worth the risk of blowing your medicals so that you can get slaughtered?

Would you turn up for a big job interview with a raving hangover?

I think if there was a problem with the blood tests, BP etc that they would probably get you to come back and repeat them just to make sure it wasn't a blip (probably at your expense though!).

Our medicals (Handsworth Wood, Birmingham) were a fairly simple affair as we are both fairly young and have had no previous medical problems and the medical examination was pretty superficial - and the doctor did the same joke as Wendy said (must be in the how to do a medical handbook!).

If the party is on Saturday night and the medicals are on Monday there probably wont be a problem, as has already been suggested drink loads of water on the Sunday, plenty of fruit and veg etc and by Monday you should be OK.

I can never see the point of getting completely wasted (even if it is free booze) as I always feel so awfull the next day and nothing is worth that! Good luck and have fun .
Old Dec 5th 2006, 8:12 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

I was told by my panel doctor that they do not test your blood for alcohol just other diseases.