Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicals done yesterday (unrequested)

Medicals done yesterday (unrequested)

Old Mar 2nd 2005, 1:43 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Medicals done yesterday (unrequested)

We (2 adults and a 7 year old girl) had our medicals done yesterday on my birthday. As we have been dieting since Xmas (actually not dieting but living a much healthier lifestyle) it seemed a good day to do it as we could go down the pub and celebrate both at the same time. And we did!

We had the medicals done in Handsworth Wood, Birmingham and they were really nice. It was a bit of a pain driving about 35 miles to the other side of Birmingham but there was nowhere closer.

I haven't really seen a post describing what goes on in detail so for those of you who still have to do this here is what happened with us in the 90 minutes we were there.

Upon arrival we had to fill in all the bits of the form we had overlooked (Doh!) then provide a sample in a polystyrene cup. The little un had never done anything like that before so couldn't go. After drinking a pint of water and 2 attempts there was still nothing doing. The third time I heard shrieks of laughter from the loo and it turned out she finally managed it but got more on my wife's hand than it the cup.

Next up was the chest x-rays for the adults. We stood while they did it and it took seconds to do.

Then we saw the nurse in turn who tested our eyesight (with and without glasses), weighed us, measured our height, took our blood pressure and a blood sample and tested the contents of the cup.

My blood pressure has been a bit high and always reads higher when at the doctors. My first reading was 141 (the higher one, the lower one was fine) but 140="fail". Thankfully I did it twice more at 139 and 137 so scraped through this bit.

I was also a little concerned about my weight as my BMI was just over 30. To make matters worse they weighed us with clothes and shoes on so that made me 3lbs heavier. But as my shoes have a thick sole I also came out 2 inches taller so my BMI was well under 30.

The last bit was with the doctor. He asked us questions about what was on the form, looked in our ears, eyes and throat, listened to our hearts, gave us a prod all over and examined my wife's breasts (though not my balls). He insisted on a female chaperon being present for that bit which caused a wait but she stood outside the curtain anyway and couldn't see what he was doing. I thought it strange that he shielded me from seeing this bit with the curtain. It's not like I haven't seen them hundreds of times before. We also had to bend and stretch to show everything works.

I don't think the doctor knew the results of the blood tests or saw the x-ray but said everything else seemed okay.

As a precaution he has asked us both to get a short report from our GP saying we are sane as we had both taken anti-depressants at sometime in the past (me after my brother died, my wife with PND) but that shouldn't be a problem. Sydney probably won't ask but it saves time if they do.

From current timelines it should be 2-4 weeks until we get a request for these medicals (PCC's were front loaded). Given that we only sent our skills assessment away in late November everything is happening so fast! I know there are plenty of people who have been at this lark for years I want to say I feel sorry for you guys but when it happens this quick it is one hell of a roller-coaster ride!!!
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 1:53 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Medicals done yesterday (unrequested)

Your test sounds a lot more intense than mine and my wifes! We went to the Nottingham panal doctor - old guy with a dickie bow! Soon to be retiring so I wonder if he was just there to pick up the pay check?!

Our doctor did all the examination as well, not the nurses (although they did do the chest x-rays).

What I didn't realise was that they do the x-rays first and they check them themselves there and then. If you are called on to the next waiting room to see the doctor that means the x-rays are fine.

Our doctor did the once over, probably took about 10 mins in total. My wife (sam) being a muppet got the giggles when he started prodding her ankle to test for reactions!

We were just told that the blood test was the only thing they didn't do on site and that would be sent away and checked. At this point though he just told us that unless it reveals that we have aids, we have nothing to worry about and that we had passed the medical!

The day was a bit of an anti-climax really - although a huge relief to get it over with!

Rob
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Your test sounds a lot more intense than mine and my wifes! We went to the Nottingham panal doctor - old guy with a dickie bow! Soon to be retiring so I wonder if he was just there to pick up the pay check?!

Our doctor did all the examination as well, not the nurses (although they did do the chest x-rays).

What I didn't realise was that they do the x-rays first and they check them themselves there and then. If you are called on to the next waiting room to see the doctor that means the x-rays are fine.

Our doctor did the once over, probably took about 10 mins in total. My wife (sam) being a muppet got the giggles when he started prodding her ankle to test for reactions!

We were just told that the blood test was the only thing they didn't do on site and that would be sent away and checked. At this point though he just told us that unless it reveals that we have aids, we have nothing to worry about and that we had passed the medical!

The day was a bit of an anti-climax really - although a huge relief to get it over with!

Rob
sounds like you had the same doctor as us rob,ours was just as you said,we all 3 went in together, it was nt anywhere near as intense as i thought it was going to be,and no breast or balls checks either

tracey
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 3:31 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by scissors
sounds like you had the same doctor as us rob,ours was just as you said,we all 3 went in together, it was nt anywhere near as intense as i thought it was going to be,and no breast or balls checks either

tracey
It no doubt was the same although I can't for the life of me remember his name. I do however remember his assistant/nurse - think her name was Bernie (a real larger than life character!). Made handing over the cash a little more bareable!
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samnrob2
It no doubt was the same although I can't for the life of me remember his name. I do however remember his assistant/nurse - think her name was Bernie (a real larger than life character!). Made handing over the cash a little more bareable!
No i cant remember his name without looking it up either,and i cant remember te nurse either, i think all she did was wiegh and measure is,afraid we got the gigles when we got in to see the doctor and we had him in hysterics to,he wont forget us in a hurry,they must have thought we were completely mad

tracey
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

sunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant future

We had our meds today also at Handsworth Wood, I was expecting something a bit more uptodate as being as you were paying all that money but no, it was just an ordinary doctors surgery. At least you could have the X Rays done there though so you don't have to go somewhere else.
Everything was pretty straight forward and I got away without having a breast exam.

I didn't think we were going to get there what with the traffic and blizzards.
We did manage to get there on time.

Julie
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 3:56 pm
Here at last

Location: Now here in sunny Sandy Beach, near Coffs Harbour, N.S.W.)
TheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really nice

Thanks for that worzel, we have got our x-rays tomorrow and our meds on Monday (unrequested). Did you have your case number to put on the med forms. I was wondering if they would send them off or wait until you tell them they have been requested.

We seem to be on a similar timeline as you guys so will be watching your threads in anticipation.

Good luck with the rest of it. Hope you had a good birthday
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by worzel
We (2 adults and a 7 year old girl) had our medicals done yesterday on my birthday. As we have been dieting since Xmas (actually not dieting but living a much healthier lifestyle) it seemed a good day to do it as we could go down the pub and celebrate both at the same time. And we did!

We had the medicals done in Handsworth Wood, Birmingham and they were really nice. It was a bit of a pain driving about 35 miles to the other side of Birmingham but there was nowhere closer.

I haven't really seen a post describing what goes on in detail so for those of you who still have to do this here is what happened with us in the 90 minutes we were there.

Upon arrival we had to fill in all the bits of the form we had overlooked (Doh!) then provide a sample in a polystyrene cup. The little un had never done anything like that before so couldn't go. After drinking a pint of water and 2 attempts there was still nothing doing. The third time I heard shrieks of laughter from the loo and it turned out she finally managed it but got more on my wife's hand than it the cup.

Next up was the chest x-rays for the adults. We stood while they did it and it took seconds to do.

Then we saw the nurse in turn who tested our eyesight (with and without glasses), weighed us, measured our height, took our blood pressure and a blood sample and tested the contents of the cup.

My blood pressure has been a bit high and always reads higher when at the doctors. My first reading was 141 (the higher one, the lower one was fine) but 140="fail". Thankfully I did it twice more at 139 and 137 so scraped through this bit.

I was also a little concerned about my weight as my BMI was just over 30. To make matters worse they weighed us with clothes and shoes on so that made me 3lbs heavier. But as my shoes have a thick sole I also came out 2 inches taller so my BMI was well under 30.

The last bit was with the doctor. He asked us questions about what was on the form, looked in our ears, eyes and throat, listened to our hearts, gave us a prod all over and examined my wife's breasts (though not my balls). He insisted on a female chaperon being present for that bit which caused a wait but she stood outside the curtain anyway and couldn't see what he was doing. I thought it strange that he shielded me from seeing this bit with the curtain. It's not like I haven't seen them hundreds of times before. We also had to bend and stretch to show everything works.

I don't think the doctor knew the results of the blood tests or saw the x-ray but said everything else seemed okay.

As a precaution he has asked us both to get a short report from our GP saying we are sane as we had both taken anti-depressants at sometime in the past (me after my brother died, my wife with PND) but that shouldn't be a problem. Sydney probably won't ask but it saves time if they do.

From current timelines it should be 2-4 weeks until we get a request for these medicals (PCC's were front loaded). Given that we only sent our skills assessment away in late November everything is happening so fast! I know there are plenty of people who have been at this lark for years I want to say I feel sorry for you guys but when it happens this quick it is one hell of a roller-coaster ride!!!
Hey thanks for that Worzel - a real learning curve!!! I had no idea what to expect!!??? Just to clarify, your daughter didnt have xray or bloods, right?

See you soon at Sandown!!
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 5:41 pm
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rooksie
Hey thanks for that Worzel - a real learning curve!!! I had no idea what to expect!!??? Just to clarify, your daughter didnt have xray or bloods, right?

See you soon at Sandown!!
She just had a basic medical, weight, height, pee in a cup then a general check.

See you there too
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 5:44 pm
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheRossers
Thanks for that worzel, we have got our x-rays tomorrow and our meds on Monday (unrequested). Did you have your case number to put on the med forms. I was wondering if they would send them off or wait until you tell them they have been requested.

We seem to be on a similar timeline as you guys so will be watching your threads in anticipation.

Good luck with the rest of it. Hope you had a good birthday
We had our case number, and we will have them sent unrequested.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Three P's has a spectacular aura aboutThree P's has a spectacular aura aboutThree P's has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by worzel
Glad your med went ok, we also had our done yesterday (in Sheffield) we, well I maybe, wasn't as lucky as you guys we just got a thin plastic container to pee in, that too went all over my hands and then I found there wasn't any loo paper or paper towels to wipe everything with!!! Also had to suffer the embarrasment of my 4 year old daughter announcing to the whole waiting room that when daddy has finished in the toilet I had to go and to a wee wee in the bottle!

J.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Sophie Louise has a spectacular aura aboutSophie Louise has a spectacular aura aboutSophie Louise has a spectacular aura about

I went to Southampton and had height, weight, blood pressure, wee in a cup and have it tested, blood test, and eye sight test and listening to chest with stethoscope. That was it - no breast exam or stretching or ankle reflexes. Dr asked a few qs but was in and out fairly swiftly and the dr was lovely. They sent the meds on (unrequested) before we posted our visa application and seems to have got there ok. Just waiting to hear back on the application now..

(Had the chest xray one earlier that day at BUPA and they gave it to me to take to drs surgery)

Sophie
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 7:15 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thpinkpussycat
She just had a basic medical, weight, height, pee in a cup then a general check.

See you there too
oh thats ok then!!

Looking forward to it!!
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Three P's
Glad your med went ok, we also had our done yesterday (in Sheffield) we, well I maybe, wasn't as lucky as you guys we just got a thin plastic container to pee in, that too went all over my hands and then I found there wasn't any loo paper or paper towels to wipe everything with!!! Also had to suffer the embarrasment of my 4 year old daughter announcing to the whole waiting room that when daddy has finished in the toilet I had to go and to a wee wee in the bottle!

J.
oh dear,we took our samples along with us,much easier to do it at home first thing in the morning

tracey.