Medical Query

Old Jun 14th 2005, 4:44 pm
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Medical Query

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site - great info. Can anyone help with a med question? I've just been told my BP is mildly high and now I'm worried about not passing the medical. I was on medication 5 years ago for high BP but since it went down the doc stopped the tablets. I get 'white coat syndrome' now - am petrified of the result when my BP is taken. Does anyone know whether this will affect my med results. We've just started the TRA assessment process so I know I've got a while to sort out the problem but any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Suzy
Old Jun 14th 2005, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

wallabywannabies will become famous soon enoughwallabywannabies will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Medical Query

believe it our not suzy tracy and i had our medicals today!.The doctor did check our blood pressure and to be honest ive had a touch of blood pressure myself in the past.the only thing the private doctor requested from our gp was immunisation records for the kids which we had to get i might add.smear results and so on and a letter from our gp regarding any operations we might have had and its conclusion.i think the chiose is yours wether you mention your condition if its not a problem now why worry .in fact i was scared to my sox myself today.took a paracetamal before i left the house and was absolutely fine .maybe were lifes worriers a kid.
tracy an steve
Old Jun 14th 2005, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nice

Originally Posted by suzy
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site - great info. Can anyone help with a med question? I've just been told my BP is mildly high and now I'm worried about not passing the medical. I was on medication 5 years ago for high BP but since it went down the doc stopped the tablets. I get 'white coat syndrome' now - am petrified of the result when my BP is taken. Does anyone know whether this will affect my med results. We've just started the TRA assessment process so I know I've got a while to sort out the problem but any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Suzy
Hi Suzy

Don't worry - slightly high BP will not cause any problems with your medicals, but if it is normally high you should get it treated for your own sake. If it really is only "white coat syndrome" then you should go to your GP or their nurse - explain why you need it proving - and they can set you up with a 24 hour BP monitor which should prove it one way or the other. If it is White coat etc get a letter to that effect and take to your medical - iif it really is high BP get it treated!

Good luck

Peter ( recently retired GP!!)
Old Jun 14th 2005, 5:18 pm
Jammy Dodger

floss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nice
Red face Re: Medical Query

Originally Posted by wallabywannabies
the only thing the private doctor requested from our gp was immunisation records for the kids which we had to get i might add.smear results and so on and a letter from our gp regarding any operations we might have had and its conclusion.
Sorry to slightly hi-jack your BP thread, but I wondered about this... I've not heard about the need to get info on past operations etc & wondered if this was common & how far back you need to go.... I've had loads of silly little operations and the thought of having to remember and account for them all has given me high blood pressure now!!
Old Jun 14th 2005, 5:57 pm
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Medical Query

Hi Guys

Thanks for your replies. - knew this was a good forum. Have decided to see my GP and get a letter detailing my BP history.

(The BP reading I had today was by a gym assessor who wouldn't let me join the flipping gym because of it.)

Good luck Dr Peter in Perth - fingers crossed we'll be heading that way in a year or so.

Suzy
Old Jun 14th 2005, 6:16 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by floss
Sorry to slightly hi-jack your BP thread, but I wondered about this... I've not heard about the need to get info on past operations etc & wondered if this was common & how far back you need to go.... I've had loads of silly little operations and the thought of having to remember and account for them all has given me high blood pressure now!!
Peter is right and will have seen 'white coat hypertension' many times. It is well documented in the medical literature.

Prolonged hypertension is a serious condition and should be treated regardless of your visa.

You must declare all previous and existing medical conditions as failure to do so could be construed as visa fraud and if there are problems later, relating to a condition/treatment you did not declare, then your visa could be withdrawn.

The visa process is based on trust and you have to be trustworthy.

The medicals are really very basic and, unless you have a very serious condition, easy to pass.

G
Old Jun 14th 2005, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Grayling
Peter is right and will have seen 'white coat hypertension' many times. It is well documented in the medical literature.

Prolonged hypertension is a serious condition and should be treated regardless of your visa.

You must declare all previous and existing medical conditions as failure to do so could be construed as visa fraud and if there are problems later, relating to a condition/treatment you did not declare, then your visa could be withdrawn.

The visa process is based on trust and you have to be trustworthy.

The medicals are really very basic and, unless you have a very serious condition, easy to pass.

G

Agreed

Peter
Old Jun 14th 2005, 7:45 pm

amanda76 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for this thread, i have "proven" white coat syndrome and im a midwife!!! i have had a 24 hr recording which was all normal and my average bp was normal, but when i picked up the machine and dropped it off at the gp surgery my blood pressure went through the roof!!! i have been wondering what i was going to do knowing that at the medical my bp would be up. thanks guys

amanda
Old Jun 14th 2005, 7:53 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amanda76
thanks for this thread, i have "proven" white coat syndrome and im a midwife!!! i have had a 24 hr recording which was all normal and my average bp was normal, but when i picked up the machine and dropped it off at the gp surgery my blood pressure went through the roof!!! i have been wondering what i was going to do knowing that at the medical my bp would be up. thanks guys

amanda
Amanda

It may help to take a letter, from your GP explaining this, to your medical otherwise you may be referred to a cardiologist and have to pay a hefty bill for a report.

This is what I did and the examining doctor accepted it, no questions asked, despite my BP being high on the day.

G
Old Jun 14th 2005, 7:54 pm

amanda76 is an unknown quantity at this point

grayling

thankyou, i will do that

much appreciated
amanda