Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medical Dilemma!

Medical Dilemma!

Old Jul 21st 2004, 9:54 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical Dilemma!

We expect that we will need to do our medicals in the next few months. My husband has big probs with the cartiledge in his knees and last year had surgery done on one to remove the damaged cartiledge (sorry if not spelt right!). ANyway he is pretty sure the other knee is on its way out (hes only 30 :scared: ) and will need operating on soon. So should we get the meds done next week before he goes to have surgey done privately so it wont show up on his medical records or wait?
Basically, should we frontload our application to DIMIA?

Help!

Lucy and Haydn's poorly knee!!!
Old Jul 21st 2004, 10:29 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

One thing I have realised from reading this forum is to tell the truth regarding medicals - if they find you have told a 'little white lie' or been dishonest they might very well not give you the visa.

My hubby has had an ear problem for 10 years and we were tempted to say nothing and hope nothing would be said to him, after posting on this forum he was advised to tell the truth and sure enough the doctor said it wasn't a problem that would stop the visa.

Honesty is the best policy - or is it just me ?

As regards front-loading medicals, you should ask your agent. Most agents do everything by the book and tell you not to front-load. If you feel that you will be in Oz within a year of the medicals being done then ask the agent what he/she thinks.

The visa process is so stressful - should I do this, should I do that....thank god for this forum

When do you expect to migrate to Oz ? exactly this time 5 weeks we'll be sitting on a 747 enroute to Singapore :scared:

Good luck!
Old Jul 21st 2004, 10:31 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank God for this forum indeed. Ive just changed my Avatar to suit my current mood!

Lucy
xx
Old Jul 21st 2004, 10:32 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Lucy,

I don't think your hubby's cartilage problem would have any bearing on failing the meds, I think they only look for serious long-term medical problems/illnesses.

He'll be fine
Old Jul 21st 2004, 10:32 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by irishmolly

Honesty is the best policy - or is it just me ?

Good luck!

Nope, agreed.

The good thing about the medicals is that the Doctor should let you know upfront if anythings a problem. It also gives you the chance to explain why you 'ticked the box'. For example, I had to tick the box about an operation, but only because I had bad fracture and went into theatre for it - I told the doctor this and he just put a line through it, no probs at all