Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medical Advice re residency visa

Medical Advice re residency visa

Old Jan 2nd 2004, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Lany is on a distinguished road
Default Medical Advice re residency visa

I am currently in melb and recently had my residency medical (spouse visa), when the results of the chest xray came back they told me I had two tumors in my chest! I was very upset and shocked. I have to have numerous tests etc now but nobody can tell me how this will affect me getting my residency, I have my interview with immigration in 3 days to get a bridging visa. Does anybody have any idea whether this health issue could mean I won't get visa? The doctors think the tumors are benign but won't know for sure until further testing
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 10:42 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Advice re residency visa

Originally posted by Lany
I am currently in melb and recently had my residency medical (spouse visa), when the results of the chest xray came back they told me I had two tumors in my chest! I was very upset and shocked. I have to have numerous tests etc now but nobody can tell me how this will affect me getting my residency, I have my interview with immigration in 3 days to get a bridging visa. Does anybody have any idea whether this health issue could mean I won't get visa? The doctors think the tumors are benign but won't know for sure until further testing
Poor you Lany - fingers very much crossed that the tumours are benign.

As to you application - it's hard to know, but as I understand it, you should only fail the medical if your condition will cost more than $20,000 a year to treat. It may well be that DIMIA defer your application until you have had further tests and treatment.

I think all you can do is wait for the results of the tests and take it from there. Do you have a case officer? If so, this might be something to discuss with them.

Have you tried posting this thread on the immigration section of the forum? You might get more help there.

Good luck with everything.
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 10:46 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bundy
Poor you Lany - fingers very much crossed that the tumours are benign.

As to you application - it's hard to know, but as I understand it, you should only fail the medical if your condition will cost more than $20,000 a year to treat. It may well be that DIMIA defer your application until you have had further tests and treatment.

I think all you can do is wait for the results of the tests and take it from there. Do you have a case officer? If so, this might be something to discuss with them.

Have you tried posting this thread on the immigration section of the forum? You might get more help there.

Good luck with everything.
Bundy is correct. BTW Bundy where did you get the $20,000 info as that could be interesting for future posters.
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 10:51 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
Bundy is correct. BTW Bundy where did you get the $20,000 info as that could be interesting for future posters.
I posted a thread a while ago on the immigration forum and this was one of the answers that came back from a couple of the agents. I've since heard it elsewhere too. It's a bit of an arbitrary criteria, but at least it gives us a guide. I'll post a link to the thread in a moment
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 10:55 am
She's a bird, you know

Here's the link...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=179179
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

mrladyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bundy
My understanding was that the $20k was not a per annum amount, but more a total for the initial years of residency (3-5 years).

So it would actually work out closer to $4-5k per annum, as a rough guide.

Good luck with your condition - hope it turns out to be a storm in a teacup.
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

So sorry to hear your bad news Lany. I hope things work out for you. Must have been a real shock.

Are you sure about the $20,000 health treatment coverage? On what basisi do they work it out. I am diabetic and take medications for it and we also need check ups and treatment now and again. I dont know how much it would all add up to. Has got me a bit worried now. Surely it cant be so, otherwise diabetics would be refufused and many other people with various ailments.
Old Jan 5th 2004, 7:13 am
She's a bird, you know

I may well be wrong about the $20,000 figure - that was the advice given by Jeremy and others when I posted about something similar on the immigration forum. His advice was defintely that it was per annum.

PP - I worry too as I have hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) and, like you, have to take medication daily and have hospital check-ups, blood tests etc. I haven't had my visa medical yet and I'm deeply concerned about the whole thing. I'm hoping that the fact that my condition doesn't stop me working or leading a perfectly normal life will be the deciding factor.
Old Jan 5th 2004, 7:22 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by podgypossum
So sorry to hear your bad news Lany. I hope things work out for you. Must have been a real shock.

Are you sure about the $20,000 health treatment coverage? On what basisi do they work it out. I am diabetic and take medications for it and we also need check ups and treatment now and again. I dont know how much it would all add up to. Has got me a bit worried now. Surely it cant be so, otherwise diabetics would be refufused and many other people with various ailments.
PP what medical do you have to go through as you will be on a different visa to the rest of us?