Meat free mince

Old Jan 3rd 2005, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Handyandy180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Meat free mince

Seriously!!! Is it possible to get meat free mince, Ideal for making veggie curries and Chili
Regards Mrs Handyandy
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 8:31 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Meat free mince

Originally Posted by Handyandy180
Seriously!!! Is it possible to get meat free mince, Ideal for making veggie curries and Chili
Regards Mrs Handyandy

Quorn is by far the best thing to use.
Cas
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Handyandy180 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Quorn is by far the best thing to use.
Cas
Thanks Cas Is it readily available?
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 8:50 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Handyandy180
Thanks Cas Is it readily available?
Yes, supermarkets sell it in chilled or frozen depts.

Cas
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 9:44 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Yes, supermarkets sell it in chilled or frozen depts.

Cas

Do they? I eat meat, but dont mind the Quorn thing (find its lower in fat) but have not been able to find it here.... never thought to look in the frozen section though... will check it out
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Do they? I eat meat, but dont mind the Quorn thing (find its lower in fat) but have not been able to find it here.... never thought to look in the frozen section though... will check it out
It need flavourings - spices, herbs etc, but is the best alternative. Full of protein, without the fat.

Cas
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 9:56 pm
Lanarkshire Lass

sandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the rough

There is always so much misinformation on this site..........

QUORN is not available in Australia. I too am a vegetarian, and am very disappointed at the poor quality of meat substitutes in Aus. Consequently I emailed Quorn, and they said they 'currently have no plans to sell Quorn in Australia'. But did supply me with a list of Countries they do sell it in...............very helpful.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 10:08 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by sandradee

QUORN is not available in Australia. I too am a vegetarian, and am very disappointed at the poor quality of meat substitutes in Aus. Consequently I emailed Quorn, and they said they 'currently have no plans to sell Quorn in Australia'. But did supply me with a list of Countries they do sell it in...............very helpful.

Didnt think I'd seen it - but then I only go to the freezer section for frozen yoghurt, so it could have been there!
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 10:36 pm

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

Try TVP (textured vegetable protein), aka soya mince. You should be able to find it in most health-food type shops in Australia. It's comes dried, and you need to either soak it in water or stock before using it or use it in a recipe that is "liquidy" (like chili). Pretty flavourless on its own, but soaks up various spices and flavourings nicely (it's not as good as quorn mince though!).
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 11:22 pm
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by saraliz
Try TVP (textured vegetable protein), aka soya mince. You should be able to find it in most health-food type shops in Australia. It's comes dried, and you need to either soak it in water or stock before using it or use it in a recipe that is "liquidy" (like chili). Pretty flavourless on its own, but soaks up various spices and flavourings nicely (it's not as good as quorn mince though!).
TVP is completely and utterly tasteless, and for all the people in the Uk who have had Quron mince, there is absolutely no comparrison whatsoever.....................basically its crap, but its all we can get over here. It has a soggy consistency to it too.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 11:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sandradee

Sorry !! If I had thought that she may be in Aus, I wouldn't have answered. But I didn't think - sorry again.

Cas
Old Jan 4th 2005, 2:25 am
Home Mail

"Handyandy180" <member20838@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    > Seriously!!! Is it possible to get meat free mince, Ideal for making
    > veggie curries and Chili
    > Regards Mrs Handyandy

I am sure you could just grind up some tofu ...

Old Jan 4th 2005, 5:36 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Having recently been criticised for living, and thus polluting the environment, I have to warn you that the substitute does make you..., well,..... fart!