Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Maternity Leave?

Maternity Leave?

Old Jun 20th 2006, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

weeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud of
Question Maternity Leave?

Hi,my wife was wanting to know when we decide to start a family and she has baby,does she get any wages while she will be off work,how long to you get in oz,are there allowances for men to get time off as well?Any answers would be appreciated,thanks,cheers Dave
Old Jun 20th 2006, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maternity Leave?

Originally Posted by weeman111
Hi,my wife was wanting to know when we decide to start a family and she has baby,does she get any wages while she will be off work,how long to you get in oz,are there allowances for men to get time off as well?Any answers would be appreciated,thanks,cheers Dave
OK, haven't lived in Oz for a few years, this is the situation as I remember it:
Baby bonus when baby is born = $4000 (i think?)

Mat pay - usually none, unless you work for a government organisations, and a few companies do pay something as well...sometimes 4 or 6 weeks full pay.

Mat/pat leave - usually 12 months. Pretty sure that it can be split between both parents eg mother takes first week, father takes remaining 51 weeks. All holiday entitlement accrues as per normal when on Mat/pat leave (unless your contract says otherwise). (No minimum time required to be off work - think in the Uk it is 2 weeks - oz u can go back to work the next day!!!!!)

Child allowance: - payable for each and every child up to 16, income related. Dont know amount.

(I answered these qs cos no-one else has...it give u some idea)
Old Jun 20th 2006, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

weeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
OK, haven't lived in Oz for a few years, this is the situation as I remember it:
Baby bonus when baby is born = $4000 (i think?)

Mat pay - usually none, unless you work for a government organisations, and a few companies do pay something as well...sometimes 4 or 6 weeks full pay.

Mat/pat leave - usually 12 months. Pretty sure that it can be split between both parents eg mother takes first week, father takes remaining 51 weeks. All holiday entitlement accrues as per normal when on Mat/pat leave (unless your contract says otherwise). (No minimum time required to be off work - think in the Uk it is 2 weeks - oz u can go back to work the next day!!!!!)

Child allowance: - payable for each and every child up to 16, income related. Dont know amount.

(I answered these qs cos no-one else has...it give u some idea)
Hi.thanks for that,what do you mean by baby bonus?Is that each baby!!?Cheers Dave
Old Jun 20th 2006, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weeman111
Hi.thanks for that,what do you mean by baby bonus?Is that each baby!!?Cheers Dave
Yes a one off payment, in recognition of fact not many employers do maternity pay (gov exceptions).

And to boost the birth rate, now being questioned as a somewhat skew plan leading the wrong people (single mums, financially disadvantaged, socially irresponsible etc) to have kids they really dont want.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

You are entitled to 12 months leave but not necessarily any maternity pay. Govt. and some kind employees pay out between 8 and 12 weeks pay but again, it's not compulsory.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

nmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Shellfish
You are entitled to 12 months leave but not necessarily any maternity pay. Govt. and some kind employees pay out between 8 and 12 weeks pay but again, it's not compulsory.
I have just enquired with my employer about maternity leave and it's been confirmed that we get up to 12 months unpaid leave . Presumably, my job would be held for me during these 12 months, so that I could go back to it. But would I be entitled to any centrelink payments during that time, if I theoretically was still employed?
Old Jun 20th 2006, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nmccallum
I have just enquired with my employer about maternity leave and it's been confirmed that we get up to 12 months unpaid leave . Presumably, my job would be held for me during these 12 months, so that I could go back to it. But would I be entitled to any centrelink payments during that time, if I theoretically was still employed?
As far as I am aware, you are entitled to the payments but perhaps someone can confirm that.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 5:50 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by nmccallum
Try these sites, it is dependant upon your visa type:

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne.../maternity.htm
http://www.familyassist.gov.au/inter...ernity_payment

My OH left work as no maternity pay, and the only benefit was having job held for a year. We'll get the baby bonus one off tax free payment. It's currenlt $3000 but increases to $4000 on July 1st. Hoping bub is a day late, else we'll miss out on a grand.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gedge
Try these sites, it is dependant upon your visa type:

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne.../maternity.htm
http://www.familyassist.gov.au/inter...ernity_payment

My OH left work as no maternity pay, and the only benefit was having job held for a year. We'll get the baby bonus one off tax free payment. It's currenlt $3000 but increases to $4000 on July 1st. Hoping bub is a day late, else we'll miss out on a grand.
Hi,thanks for those links,at least your job is held for a year that is something,cheers Dave,ps is this the same in every state?We are going to Melbourne at first,cheers