Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving??!!

Thinking of moving??!!

Old Jun 20th 2006, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

clarkey has a spectacular aura aboutclarkey has a spectacular aura aboutclarkey has a spectacular aura about
Default Thinking of moving??!!

Hi - After reading this you all may think I am a little bit tapped but here we go. I am a Police Officer, have never been to Oz (but everyone I know that has, says it is great,brill etc etc) but WA Police are later this year recruiting Officers from foreign countries. Part of the deal is permanent residence visas for me and my family, something I know is a very difficult thing to get without outside help. I would start on a wage of about $50000 which is a pay cut in UK terms but I have heard cost of living is cheaper over there. I would be based in WA, but exactly where is unknown.

So my questions are:

1. Is it really as good to live there as everyone says?

2. Is $50000 a good wage to live on, bearing in mind my wife would not walk straight into employment? (Excuse my ignorance)

3. Are house prices reasonable, and is $50K enough for decent mortgage etc (obviously will have some savings from sale of overly priced house in UK!!!)

It is a long way off and there are many hurdles to get over but I want to get as much info as possible to make an informed decision.

Any info welcomed

Thanks

Ross
Old Jun 20th 2006, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving??!!

Originally Posted by clarkey
Hi - After reading this you all may think I am a little bit tapped but here we go. I am a Police Officer, have never been to Oz (but everyone I know that has, says it is great,brill etc etc) but WA Police are later this year recruiting Officers from foreign countries. Part of the deal is permanent residence visas for me and my family, something I know is a very difficult thing to get without outside help. I would start on a wage of about $50000 which is a pay cut in UK terms but I have heard cost of living is cheaper over there. I would be based in WA, but exactly where is unknown.

So my questions are:

2. Is $50000 a good wage to live on, bearing in mind my wife would not walk straight into employment? (Excuse my ignorance)

3. Are house prices reasonable, and is $50K enough for decent mortgage etc (obviously will have some savings from sale of overly priced house in UK!!!)

It is a long way off and there are many hurdles to get over but I want to get as much info as possible to make an informed decision.

Any info welcomed

Thanks

Ross

Welcome to the mad house, there is a police forum on the working abroad section, you may get some info on there.

Have you tried looking at housing websites?

www.realestate.com.au is one of the ones i use regulary it will give you an idea as to the cost of housing.
Perth appears to becoming just as expensive as the UK .
Im sure the bods in Perth will be able to help you more.
Good luck
Mandy
Old Jun 20th 2006, 4:11 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

So my questions are:

Any info welcomed

Thanks

Ross

These topics have been discussed at length on this forum and if you do a search (top of the page) you can get heaps of information.

As for is it really good ?as the saying goes a mans paradise is another mans hell....you need to judge it for yourself. We too havent been and we have heard good and bad, but we have decided to look for ourselvses and our visa validation trip/ reccie is booked for february.

Good luck with you research.

Oh and BTW Welcome to the forum
Old Jun 20th 2006, 4:13 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Issie
These topics have been discussed at length on this forum and if you do a search (top of the page) you can get heaps of information.

As for is it really good ?as the saying goes a mans paradise is another mans hell....you need to judge it for yourself. We too havent been and we have heard good and bad, but we have decided to look for ourselvses and our visa validation trip/ reccie is booked for february.

Good luck with you research.

Oh and BTW Welcome to the forum
www.aussiemoves.com is a particularly good site
Old Jun 20th 2006, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Thinking of moving??!!

So my questions are:

Any info welcomed

Thanks

Ross
Great site for getting mortgage info: www.anewlifeinaustralia.com

Wish we had the chance to jump like you do - we are doing it the hard way, via TRA etc.

We are just doing it! Havent been, not doing a reccie, have a few aquaintances in Perth to act as a little safety net - mind you no children to worry about.

Good luck which ever way you decide.

Paula
Old Jun 20th 2006, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

BertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond repute

try this as well - lots of info

http://www.yellabrickroad.com/index.html

Ann
Old Jun 20th 2006, 10:13 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

So my questions are:

Any info welcomed

Thanks

Ross
l think $50,000 is around the average wage in OZ.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 12:24 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

I have heard through the grapevine that all the new police recruits would be based, initially, around Joondalup. That's where the Police Academy is (very posh looking too).

Average houses around this area...$400k ish. Areas include; Carramar, Tapping, Kinross, Currumbine, Joondalup, Wanneroo, to name but a few.

$50k is an average wage. Take into account that the cost of living isn't as cheap as people would like think, especially groceries. Petrol is rising, now at $1.38 a litre. All of these things contribute to a lot of folk moaning about being skint...us included!!

Depends what you're after really. Luxury or way of life.

Good luck to you
Old Jun 21st 2006, 12:33 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Average houses around this area...$400k ish. Areas include; Carramar, Tapping, Kinross, Currumbine, Joondalup, Wanneroo, to name but a few.
$50k is an average wage.
$400k house $50K wage you'll want to be bringing over a significant amount of equity.

I reckon even if you could buy a $400k house for cash 50K is not enough for a family to live on and not be skint all the time.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 12:41 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

So my questions are:

Any info welcomed

Thanks

Ross
Perth is an awesome place to live, I love it here. The COL is only slightly lower than the UK though. You would struggle on $50k, if you had a very small mortgage it might be possible but would still be difficult. A decent, average house is around 400k & rising.

Good luck & I hope it works out for you.

PS I hope you don't get assigned to traffic duties as the only time you see a cop here he's holding a handheld radar.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 12:45 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth
$400k house $50K wage you'll want to be bringing over a significant amount of equity.

I reckon even if you could buy a $400k house for cash 50K is not enough for a family to live on and not be skint all the time.
Totally agree with you Renth. We just about get by week to week. That's not exactly why we came out here.

Then again, I am a skint student...perhaps when I'm working it will be easier....we live in hope
Old Jun 21st 2006, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Tom & Angela is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Clarkey,

As a recently retired police officer I can tell you that WA Police are obviously following the SA Police in taking British Officers over there. SA Police did this about a year ago and two or three intakes have successfully been deployed in SA. I recall at the time that a messageboard was set up to help officers with information but have tried to find it today without success.
Do not take this as a discouraging comment but I do believe that a few officers had financial problems and after a period returned home. However think this was due to it being the first time British officers had gone to Aus and they were put on one of the lowest points on the SA payscale and due to the time between been accepted and going across being short, some still had not sold their houses, so they were caught in a bit of a financial whammy. This happened to one of my mates, who came back after a year because his house had still not sold but would still like to go down there because he enjoyed it.
Do not be put off but it is worthy of much research. There may be some stuff on the web about the experiences of the lads who went down to SA.

Regards T&A.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 10:37 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth

Eeek !

What would you suggest a liveable salary would be, assuming house bought for cash?
Old Jun 21st 2006, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

blackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Tom & Angela
Hi Clarkey,

As a recently retired police officer I can tell you that WA Police are obviously following the SA Police in taking British Officers over there. SA Police did this about a year ago and two or three intakes have successfully been deployed in SA. I recall at the time that a messageboard was set up to help officers with information but have tried to find it today without success.
Do not take this as a discouraging comment but I do believe that a few officers had financial problems and after a period returned home. However think this was due to it being the first time British officers had gone to Aus and they were put on one of the lowest points on the SA payscale and due to the time between been accepted and going across being short, some still had not sold their houses, so they were caught in a bit of a financial whammy. This happened to one of my mates, who came back after a year because his house had still not sold but would still like to go down there because he enjoyed

Do not be put off but it is worthy of much research. There may be some stuff on the web about the experiences of the lads who went down to SA.

Regards T&A.
try

adelaidebrits

There are some Officers and families post on there you may get more of an idea from them

Sheila
Old Jun 21st 2006, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wargod
Eeek !

What would you suggest a liveable salary would be, assuming house bought for cash?

No mortgage at all? Depends on your aspirations...

I reckon household income (i.e. total income for the house) ideally would start at $75000 with no mortgage. (for us - 2 kids)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.