Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Massive change of heart from Canadian WHV to Australian

Massive change of heart from Canadian WHV to Australian

Old Aug 7th 2014, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Chris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Massive change of heart from Canadian WHV to Australian

Hi folks

First time poster on the Aus forum , I was wondering if someone could answer my very basic questions about the Aus WHV
I have a Canadian IEC, but realizing my age I have the chance of Canada or Aus for 2 years and a year in NZ. Also I am really just going to meet new people , enjoy myself and a little bit of adventure. But of course my number one priority is finding work, I dont have any qualifications except for a few simple security awards. So I am willing to do fruit picking, bar work etc.

How much is a visa, my Canadian one was £100 is the Aus one £300, how long does it take to get it ? Do you have to also send away for police reports,medicals etc.

I have no idea where I want to go, I'm easy so I would go anywhere . I will probably head out there in March. Is there a best place for someone like my who just wants to meet fellow travellers and mix with people ?
Also a good place to go in March to work, I would literately get off a plane and go to a vineyard and work, I dont want to travel before working.

Are Australians friendly, I always hear bad things about them, arrogance etc

How much can I expect to pay for flights and insurance etc from London ?

Is there any websites or forums you guys would advice that would be better suited for someone like me who wants to go travelling.

Thanks very much guys for anything you can add or point me in the right direction.
Cheers
Old Aug 7th 2014, 4:48 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Massive change of heart from Canadian WHV to Australian

Originally Posted by Chris2222
Hi folks

First time poster on the Aus forum , I was wondering if someone could answer my very basic questions about the Aus WHV
I have a Canadian IEC, but realizing my age I have the chance of Canada or Aus for 2 years and a year in NZ. Also I am really just going to meet new people , enjoy myself and a little bit of adventure. But of course my number one priority is finding work, I dont have any qualifications except for a few simple security awards. So I am willing to do fruit picking, bar work etc.

How much is a visa, my Canadian one was £100 is the Aus one £300, how long does it take to get it ? Do you have to also send away for police reports,medicals etc.

I have no idea where I want to go, I'm easy so I would go anywhere . I will probably head out there in March. Is there a best place for someone like my who just wants to meet fellow travellers and mix with people ?
Also a good place to go in March to work, I would literately get off a plane and go to a vineyard and work, I dont want to travel before working.

Are Australians friendly, I always hear bad things about them, arrogance etc

How much can I expect to pay for flights and insurance etc from London ?

Is there any websites or forums you guys would advice that would be better suited for someone like me who wants to go travelling.

Thanks very much guys for anything you can add or point me in the right direction.
Cheers
Visa info
https://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/

Flights - airline direct, or any flight search engine such as kayak, wego, iwantthatflight, etc etc

Insurance - comparethemarket.com or Bupa, or just type 'insurance for 417 visa' into Google

Work - If you want a second year 417, you'll need to complete 3 months of work in a regional area 'during your first year. All of South Australia is classified regional, and there is a lot of fruit picking work available there, so you could fly into the capital, Adelaide.

Are Australians friendly, bad things, arrogance blah blah - your sources of information are obviously impeccable. We're bastards, all 20 million plus of us - whether we were born here or are immigrants.
Old Aug 9th 2014, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Chris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks very much for your answers and links, I appreciate it
Old Aug 10th 2014, 4:26 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris2222
Thanks very much for your answers and links, I appreciate it
My pleasure