Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Massage/Holistic Therapist

Massage/Holistic Therapist

Old May 27th 2011, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Soapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to all
Default Massage/Holistic Therapist

Hi all

I am a trained massage/holistic therapist in the UK. Does anyone know what qualification I would need to work in Australia? Also can I get it in this country so Im ready to start once we arrive.

Any advice appreciated!
Old May 27th 2011, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Massage/Holistic Therapist

Shouldnt think you would need anything if you wanted to start practising - just put up your shingle and get into competition with the increasing number of Asian massage shops in the shopping centres. Take out your indemnity insurance, put your framed certificate on the wall and get your abn then the world is your oyster. The local qualifications would range from cert iv through diploma to a degree in physio I should think.
Old May 28th 2011, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

It might be worth looking into the private health funds to see which ones offer rebates for alternative therapies. They might specify if certain qualifications are required in order for rebates to be given. It might attract more clients if you can advertise that health fund rebates are available. Health funds listed here.
Old May 28th 2011, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

rozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud of

In Sydney, the massage places run by mainly Asian ladies are ten a penny. In shopping centres and on the high streets. Their qualifications and skills vary. I go to a Asian guy who was some sort of skeletal doctor in China, but with his poor English cant get his qualifications converted, so he does a great massage plus you get his medical knowledge on top. I get some of the fee back from my health insurance. So your competition will be fierce. You will have to consider your place in the market and really set yourself apart from the rest.
Old May 28th 2011, 6:08 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

For massage, consider membership of the AAMT. It will give you access as a provider to health fund rebates. However, you need substantive and formal qualifications and because you probably have overseas qualifications you'll need to contact them directly for an assessment. They also provide cheap group insurance.

http://www.aamt.com.au

The more global natural therapy, including massage, association is ANTA. However, they do not assess your overseas qualifications and you need to approach VETASSESS to gain equivalency.

http://www.australiannaturaltherapis...iation.com.au/

You should probably realise that the industry here is highly regulated and controlled and also requires substantive qualifications. You may even find that it might be easier to gain RPL from an Australian education provider and gain a Cert IV, Diploma or Advanced Diploma - whichever might be relevant.

It's actually quite easy to make a living. I did it for a time, and have many friends in the industry who turn away work rather than burn out. You'll find that therapy here is much more sought after than in the UK on the whole.
Old May 28th 2011, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Some aged care facilities have massage/aromatherapists who visit and provide treatments to residents who can no longer get out and about (they also have hairdressers who visit). There are all sorts of options if you want to have your own business that stands out from the rest. Personally speaking, there's no way I'd use one of those in-the-middle-of-the-shopping mall setups.
Old May 30th 2011, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

HayleyDamerell is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there.
I myself am a beauty and massage therapist. Have been in touch with the Australian therapy governing body (google it) and yes you have to retrain/refresh your skills once there. It's not as advanced as the training here more like a 6 week course so they can see your skills and adjust the qualifications you already have to fit there's. It also depends what qualifications you already have, they like the BTEC national diploma (lucky for me)!!! Nvq is seen as lower grade, like here!

I wouldn't go down the route of shop work! Try the spa route as I have found holistic therapy and massage is popular (higher end) rather than a quick shoulder rub!! You'll prob have more luck with the rent a room idea in an established health club with a large client/member base.

Best of luck