Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Marine Insurance from NZ to Australia

Marine Insurance from NZ to Australia

Old May 12th 2014, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Marine Insurance from NZ to Australia

We don't really want to take the shippers own insurance as it's $$$

I thought Letton Percival would cover us, but they are now telling me their scheme is only for people departing from or to the UK.

Any other suggestions for more reasonable Marine Insurance from NZ to Aussie?
Old May 12th 2014, 12:26 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marine Insurance from NZ to Australia

We used Letton Percival. A problem with shipping insurances is the small print of the policies make it at best a lot of hard work to claim for damage/breakages and little chance of them paying out due to tough prerequisites. The only thing that seems easier to claim for is total loss due to the container falling off the ship along the way or the ship sinking, but what are the chances of that happening? If there's a next time, I'll take the risk.
Old May 13th 2014, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marine Insurance from NZ to Australia

Originally Posted by paulry
We used Letton Percival. A problem with shipping insurances is the small print of the policies make it at best a lot of hard work to claim for damage/breakages and little chance of them paying out due to tough prerequisites. The only thing that seems easier to claim for is total loss due to the container falling off the ship along the way or the ship sinking, but what are the chances of that happening? If there's a next time, I'll take the risk.
We've had out stuff shipped in containers 3 times previously, and twice we've had to make claims. Yes, I'm aware of how insurance companies try and wheedle out of their obligations, but I've been there, done that and don't get fobbed off easily. First time we moved internationally we had some trashed whitewear and broken crockery, and last time had several pieces of expensive furniture damaged and they ended up reinbursting us over $2k for repairs and replacements, and took away the damaged items to try and recover their loss...no issue for me as it saves us paying to dump damaged furniture at a later date. After all of that, there is no way I'd ship our stuff uninsured.