Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Claiming tax back when leaving Oz

Claiming tax back when leaving Oz

Old May 12th 2014, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

nm1005 is just really nicenm1005 is just really nicenm1005 is just really nicenm1005 is just really nicenm1005 is just really nicenm1005 is just really nicenm1005 is just really nicenm1005 is just really nice
Smile Claiming tax back when leaving Oz

Firstly I am hugely indebted to this forum- when I moved to Brisbane 8 months ago I learnt a lot from here, so a big thank you to everyone who takes the time to reply.

Sadly I am now moving back to the UK after a fantastic year here.

One point of confusion- the tax system! I think I might be able to file a tax return as I have been here working for one employer the whole time working under a 457 visa (sponsored by my employer). My question is - is this going to be worth the time and hassle of doing it myself or should I pay one of these backpacker companies? Or is it actually not as bad as it seems??

I have the paperwork to fill out and it seems pretty confusing! Tempted to wait until I get home as I'm soon going travelling for 2 months before heading home to the UK in July, and by that time the end of the tax year will have passed.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!
Old May 12th 2014, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Claiming tax back when leaving Oz

Yes just wait and do a tax return. To be honest can't see that you would have much tax to reclaim as you are leaving close to the end of the tax year anyway.

I would be more interested in the process for reclaiming super in your shoes.
Old May 12th 2014, 11:10 pm
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

Currently looking into this before I depart next month......I use a tax accountant so don't really know how easy / hard the online system is. It usually worth it as they know exactly what and what you can't claim, but I normally get a couple of $k back. Usually costs about $150, but the chains such as H. R. Block etc could be cheaper.
One thing I have found out is that under certain circumstances such as departing the country permanently you can request that your employer supply you with a group certificate before the end of financial year. This will enable you to carry out a final tax return before the end of the tax year. Be aware you have to request this before 9th June. ATO website links below;

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/I...rly_Tax_Return

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/PAYG...es-or-retires/

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/PAYG...ent-summaries/
Old May 13th 2014, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

john in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond repute

If you were not a Permanent Resdient ie on a temporary Working Visa - super can also be claimed back under Departing Australia Super Payment (DASP).

ATO Link refers:

https://www.ato.gov.au/Super/APRA-re...ayment-(DASP)/

cheers john