Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Many Stages of Poms

The Many Stages of Poms

Old Apr 3rd 2003, 5:43 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I discovered a story on CNN.com which stated that according to a poll by YouGov, 54% of UK people polled wished to emigrate. Now, at first this may seem high, and I think it had increased in recent years, but it isn't that suprising. Take any poll of a suitable number of people on a fairly benign issue and you're going to get half in favour and half against. in fact CNN had a poll repsonse on 'would you emigrate from your country?' which had 52% saying yes and 48% saying no. On the assumption that respondents were primarily US citizens (the top preferred destination for Brits apparently) given it's CNN, or indeed a reflection of people internationally, it just ties in with the British poll. i.e. half say yes, half say no, it says nothing about the UK that about half would like to emigrate elsewhere.

Ask me if I want chips for my tea and just over half the time I'd say no, this means I'm indifferent, not that I have some strong hatred of chips!!

I find it strange that some UK residents are so anti-UK that they want to leave and live elsewhere. The UK is a great place to live and given its high hurdles for immigration (and indeed attraction to illegal immigrants) I would think there a lot of people who would love to live there.

Anyone seriously thinking of leaving the UK for Oz (or elsewhere) cos it's got crime, it rains, the politicians are crap, whatever, needs to think whether they have the correct motivations, they will find the same (or often much worse) wherever they go. Moving abroad is not moving to Utopia and is not a quick fix to all your perceived ills. Me, I came to Oz because I applied for a job and got it. I'd never had a burning desire to come here and certainly no burning desire to leave the UK either. It just seemed like a good thing to try out, new experiences and all that. As it happens it's quite difficult to adjust but it's working so far. Don't know if I'll stay long, or indeed return to the UK, but lets not run down the UK too hastily.

I suggest some open-mindedness about expectations of living abroad, it's not just one big long holiday. And, unless you are under some sort of political or religious persecution in your home country(not many could claim that in the UK), don't have as your motivation for leaving the fact that you dislike where you are, otherwise your dreams will be dashed when you awake to the reality of living abroad.
Old Apr 3rd 2003, 5:48 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ceri
Stop whinging and get out and explore Britain rain or shine - you have no clue. Don't you think it rains here too, and does not have bad weather , don't you think we have crime here? and sh*te politics, and parasites and pollution too .In the past couple of months we've had dreadful rain, only in the past couple of weeks has it stopped, and dried up a bit .

You have raised a very good talking point , just how much has any of us traveled in the UK in 34 years I can only say that I seen maybe 25% of if and thats going out most weekends and holidays etc.
The land mass is a lot less than Australia but far more to see with less traveling time involved , I would be interested to know just how much the good people on this forum have traveled?

Old Apr 3rd 2003, 5:53 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by jayr
I discovered a story on CNN.com which stated that according to a poll by YouGov, 54% of UK people polled wished to emigrate. Now, at first this may seem high, and I think it had increased in recent years, but it isn't that suprising. Take any poll of a suitable number of people on a fairly benign issue and you're going to get half in favour and half against. in fact CNN had a poll repsonse on 'would you emigrate from your country?' which had 52% saying yes and 48% saying no. On the assumption that respondents were primarily US citizens (the top preferred destination for Brits apparently) given it's CNN, or indeed a reflection of people internationally, it just ties in with the British poll. i.e. half say yes, half say no, it says nothing about the UK that about half would like to emigrate elsewhere.

Ask me if I want chips for my tea and just over half the time I'd say no, this means I'm indifferent, not that I have some strong hatred of chips!!

I find it strange that some UK residents are so anti-UK that they want to leave and live elsewhere. The UK is a great place to live and given its high hurdles for immigration (and indeed attraction to illegal immigrants) I would think there a lot of people who would love to live there.

Anyone seriously thinking of leaving the UK for Oz (or elsewhere) cos it's got crime, it rains, the politicians are crap, whatever, needs to think whether they have the correct motivations, they will find the same (or often much worse) wherever they go. Moving abroad is not moving to Utopia and is not a quick fix to all your perceived ills. Me, I came to Oz because I applied for a job and got it. I'd never had a burning desire to come here and certainly no burning desire to leave the UK either. It just seemed like a good thing to try out, new experiences and all that. As it happens it's quite difficult to adjust but it's working so far. Don't know if I'll stay long, or indeed return to the UK, but lets not run down the UK too hastily.

I suggest some open-mindedness about expectations of living abroad, it's not just one big long holiday. And, unless you are under some sort of political or religious persecution in your home country(not many could claim that in the UK), don't have as your motivation for leaving the fact that you dislike where you are, otherwise your dreams will be dashed when you awake to the reality of living abroad.
I just deleted my post , if you have just read it - on similar lines to your own...- I didn't want to start an argument. But some people really have they head in the sky, and don't seem to realise that the things they are whinging about - same here in Aus. And they seem to think all Brit's have left because of prob's in Britian - not true, I for one did not leave for that reason - it was a job offer which was one hell of an opportunity in Singapore - I've just managed to end up in Aus with the company
Old Apr 3rd 2003, 5:58 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I've been around the UK a bit, but not nearly as much as I now wish I had. Even not going to the real tourist places (Buck Palace etc.) is regretted somewhat now. I wish I'd thought on and had a bit of a last look round before leaving, I suspect return trips will not offer much opportunity to do this either.

To all intended expats, get out around your country and take in what you've got, you will not see it's like again when in Oz.
Old Apr 3rd 2003, 6:01 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pommie bastard
You have raised a very good talking point , just how much has any of us traveled in the UK in 34 years I can only say that I seen maybe 25% of if and thats going out most weekends and holidays etc.
The land mass is a lot less than Australia but far more to see with less traveling time involved , I would be interested to know just how much the good people on this forum have traveled?

As you point out there are many reasons why people find their way to Australia , some of them are good not unlike your own .
Shame is for every immigrate who has something to offer to the growth of Australia there are 3 more who give nothing of any worth.

Old Apr 3rd 2003, 6:09 am
Karma Comedian

And, for all those beloved dreamers, it's just started pissing it down (in Brisbane) and has gone really dark. Thank God I have brought my umbrella to work (as I try to remember most days) or I will get soaked through as I leave. After the best part of a month of rain every day, and the uncertainty (sunshine in the morning - storm in the afternoon) I start to feel it would be better called Brisb-rain.

Old Apr 3rd 2003, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Ceri
I can't get the page - is that link working?

anyone want to post some beaches in Cornwall too - after my beaches in Gower - I'm a cornwall fan - sorry I do not know many of the other beaches in England - I haven't travelled through England much, and only used to holiday in Cornwall and Devon.

cheers

There are some wonderful beaches in Cornwall and Devon been to both places many times, unfortuately though there are also many of them used as toilets by dogs owners, they have no shame and will let their dogs crap where your children are paddling. However there are a few where dogs are not aloud in Devon I know this as we go to them, in South Devon.

Marlo