Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Manly in Brisbane

Manly in Brisbane

Old Jun 7th 2011, 11:10 am
Just Joined

Kay Murray is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Manly in Brisbane

We are undecided as to where abouts to live in Brisbane. Manly, Brisbane looks good but I can't find many write ups about it. We have 2 young children and ideally would like someone with a little bit of action and a good environment for a family.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

sormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud of
Default Re: Manly in Brisbane

If it's action you want I don't think manly is what you want. It's got a couple of pubs but it gets pretty quiet pretty early. I have friends who live there and they love it. The have a three year old and new baby it's got a nice prom to walk along and sea pool. Not really beach if that's what your after. I like redcliffe, this is north Brisbane a nice pool on the seafront a big rsl which people say is quite lively at weekends. More cafes and a nicer beach front. There is an English curry house within driving distance. I also like Wellington point. Not sure what it's like there but there is the biggest Brit shop in birkdale a couple mins drive, Britain on bayside, and Brit fish and chip shop, chumley warner, you can google them Both. When I have driven round there it seems more lively but I have also heard that some people find it boring.
Where will you be working? This should be a factor as the roads to Brisbane from manly aren't the best either. Can take a long time to get nortside
Old Jun 11th 2011, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

Totally agree with the last post. Still, Manly is a very nice place to live and the primary school is also good. We live about 3 miles away and travel there regularly
Old Jun 11th 2011, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

We live in manly with our 6 & 3 yo and love it. You need to consider where you work and commute times - my hubby gets to the valley in 35 mins redcliffe and wellington point would be further. There are no late nights in manly but great cafes /restaurants for daytime and early evening- perfect for lunching with the girls.
School is excellent and pupils very middle class- i have met wonderful english, irish and australian friends. The waterfront is the focal point with markets, movie nights, wading pool, marina, swimming pool and many play areas. The beaches keep my two amused you can paddle, build sandcastles and catch crabs. At the weekend we can go further afield.
It is has a small community feel- its rare to go out and not bump into someone you know and the front is just perfect for walks, scoots and cycles.
People seem to diss manly quickly- for young kids its great - teenagers may find it quiet and if you want to eat out loads it isnt for you- pm me if you want any more information.