Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

man, women & 2 teenage girls moving perth

man, women & 2 teenage girls moving perth

Old Mar 15th 2008, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: man, women & 2 teenage girls moving perth

Originally Posted by Nickie And Kev
Hi and welcome to BE.

We have 4 kids....3 girls 14,11 and 9 and a boy 4.

So far they all still seem to want to go and are quite keen.

But to be honest im a bit worried about them actually leaving school and all their mates and getting on the plane....concerned they may 'fall apart'.

Not worried so much about the 14 year old cos one of her mates from school is going in the same direction before us and she will be able to see him once we get out there, its the 11 year old im more concerned about, shes a bit more sensitive then the others. the 9 year old just gets on with it...shes a bit eccentric so she will be fine, nothing phases her at all and i know the boy will be ok hes still young.

But we gotta get the visa 1st.

Nickie
Hi Nickie,my middle daughter is 11 and very sensitive and I was mostly worried about her but she has settled in very well and made lots of really nice friends.The Aussie children seem to be very easy going.

Good luck with that visa.Sue.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

pstanton is a jewel in the roughpstanton is a jewel in the roughpstanton is a jewel in the roughpstanton is a jewel in the roughpstanton is a jewel in the rough

Hi think you are all very lucky I wished I had come over here with my two children when they were younger but we did not get the opportunity until they were older and they were in their 20s. They are on our visa as they were in university when we applied but have until now remained in the Uk but love Perth. I just keep my fingers crossed they will come over to live one day but think this will not be until they want a family themselves.
I miss them very much but go home every year for a couple of months to see them as I could not cope if not. When I do see them its brilliant but after a few days they are off with their own friends having their own life.
In reality I would not see them much in the UK. They come over for 3 weeks here at Christmas and I saw more of them then than I had the whole year.

My husband and I are both in our 50s and started to not not enjoy the UK. Perth is the most beautiful place to us but the only thing I miss from the Uk is my kids. Its also easier to meet other people when your kids are at school. I look at young people over here and think they have a wonderful life compared to kids in the Uk healthier and safer. I wished I had come when I was much younger.

My only advise if to really encourage your kids to join in everything and not to buy them a computer too soon as I heard of one teenager who come over and sat on the computer till 4am emailing friends in the UK. But that is the parents fault really. They ended up being worn down by the children and went back. You have to make the decision and go for it. It will be hard at times we miss the wide social life we had but I work and my husband is joining a golf club and we hope from there our social life will expand here too.

Coming to perth is the best gift you can give your kids. Good luck

Pats
Old Mar 15th 2008, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to all

nice to here some positive stories from everyone, deep down i know it is the best life for children and that is why we came down this route in the first place. i suppose it's all part of the whole process, worrying and doubting whether or not you are doing the right thing in uprooting the children from family and friends to whom they have built up good relationships. guess you don't know until you try it, ultimately it's not right for everyone though and despite all of my worring and doubting we are going to give it a shot, got until 5th nov to validate visa!

vicky
Old Mar 15th 2008, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

It is hard uprooting your family to go the other side of the world, but even if you do come back (like silly us), they do grow from it and the experiences are worth the upheavel, its so easy to stay in your confort zone, never trying new things,new places, what will that teach your children??????

Go for it, dont think of the materialistic losses, focus on trying something new, explore the challenges and embrace a whole new culture, thats what your children need to learn from!

bluekipper
Old Mar 16th 2008, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

Wooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really niceWooders is just really nice

We have been here for 5 months with a 16 & 18 year old girl. It was and still is a rollercoaster ride but it is getting better. Our youngest was very unhappy at first but is now making friends and seems so much happier. Our 18 year old was happy at first but has struggled at school, college may have been a better option but she is going to finish yr 12. Working and driving has helped her as well. Both would prefer to live nearer the city and miss the ability to "walk to town" but are getting used to it. My youngest is going back for a visit in June so that will be interesting. Just make sure they start school/college as soon as possible as we had a couple of months berfore school started which made it harder to meet friends.

Good luck

Originally Posted by hevvy
wow vicky,? where you living now?? we are in essex. My husband will be sponsored by his company so i think it will all happen quite quickly. not selling house.... so dont have the hassle of waiting for that to happen either. will tell my eldest that she can drive as soon as we get there as im sure that will soften it!! she is very girly but loves cars!! keep in touch with how things are going... is the 16 year old going to start school again ?? i think mine daughter will, even if its just to meet local kids etc.. i think uni might be too big a leap..
i must stop waffling x
Old Mar 16th 2008, 1:10 pm

mary1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

Reading all your threads has made me feel a lot more reassured about our decision to migrate as soon as my daughters finishes her GCSE's. I'm planning on my eldest starting year 11 again in Jan 09, so that she can do the last 2 years with everyone else. Both my kids can't wait to go, my worry is that it won't live up to their expectations.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

The way of life for the teenagers there is brill, my eldest was never in once she got her own group of mates, they have the life of riley its us who have it tough, working etc, dont worry about them, the sun, beach etc is fantastic for them. Should`ve listened to my eldest who didnt wanna return

Saying that, she`s up for Perth now, Adelaide didnt really do it for all of us!
bluekipper
Old Mar 16th 2008, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by bluekipper
The way of life for the teenagers there is brill, my eldest was never in once she got her own group of mates, they have the life of riley its us who have it tough, working etc, dont worry about them, the sun, beach etc is fantastic for them. Should`ve listened to my eldest who didnt wanna return

Saying that, she`s up for Perth now, Adelaide didnt really do it for all of us!
bluekipper

Where are you now?
Old Mar 16th 2008, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi, were in the UK again,number of reasons, will be heading to Perth later this year/early nxt yr, was in adelaide.

bluekipper
Old Mar 16th 2008, 9:41 pm

Hi, were in the UK again,number of reasons, will be heading to Perth later this year/early nxt yr, was in adelaide.

bluekipper
We couldn't decide between Adelaide or Perth for months - in the end we've opted for Perth, mainly because of the job opportunities - hopefully we're making the right decision!
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

We found it extremely difficult getting jobs in Adelaide, and it was`nt as if we were looking for only one type of job!, its very clicky there, who you know and all that, plus, didnt meet our needs at all! so Perth seems to tick all our boxes, esp jobwise.When will you be heading out?
bluekipper
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:36 am

We found it extremely difficult getting jobs in Adelaide, and it was`nt as if we were looking for only one type of job!, its very clicky there, who you know and all that, plus, didnt meet our needs at all! so Perth seems to tick all our boxes, esp jobwise.When will you be heading out?
bluekipper

We're hoping to go in October, visa and house sale permitting. I want to get my kids enrolled in school before they break up for the summer holidays (my eldest is 16 in May 08, so it's important for me that she does the last 2 years from scratch). My OH thinks we need to sell the house first, but i'm prepared to go over and stay with the kids, whilst he comes back and carries on working here until the house sells. We've considered renting it out, but i think we'll only do that if we're desperate. It's all in the air to be honest, i think we'll know more when we get the visa through, because then he'll be able to start applying for jobs over there and if he gets one, our options may just change again!

What about you? When are you hoping to go?
Old Mar 17th 2008, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

We`d love to come out now! unfortunatley we bought a house soon as we came bk last Apr, so we have to finish doing that up 2 sell, plus eldest is doing her GCSE`s (she didnt do them as we were in OZ) youngest about to get braces on her teeth, thank god as they cost the earth in OZ, so all being well later on in the yr or soon as poss nxt year. Hubby would go bk tomorrow, he loved the way of life over there, It is hard at 1st but if you hang on in there it does get easier and you start enjoying what you went to OZ for esp the kids. Homesickness is the thing you have to try and curb, that was what got a grip on me,it creeps up on you and is awful, like a grieving feeling, so my best advice is get as many good mates as poss as that should help you thru it and ring home as much as you can. We`l have to rent if we dont sell when we are ready to leave! wont be coming bk again except for a visit. You have to accept thae differences there its not the UK and never will be, which is why were all going isnt it?
good luck

bluekipper
Old Mar 17th 2008, 5:27 pm

We`d love to come out now! unfortunatley we bought a house soon as we came bk last Apr, so we have to finish doing that up 2 sell, plus eldest is doing her GCSE`s (she didnt do them as we were in OZ) youngest about to get braces on her teeth, thank god as they cost the earth in OZ, so all being well later on in the yr or soon as poss nxt year. Hubby would go bk tomorrow, he loved the way of life over there, It is hard at 1st but if you hang on in there it does get easier and you start enjoying what you went to OZ for esp the kids. Homesickness is the thing you have to try and curb, that was what got a grip on me,it creeps up on you and is awful, like a grieving feeling, so my best advice is get as many good mates as poss as that should help you thru it and ring home as much as you can. We`l have to rent if we dont sell when we are ready to leave! wont be coming bk again except for a visit. You have to accept thae differences there its not the UK and never will be, which is why were all going isnt it?
good luck

bluekipper

I agree - fortunately or unfortunately we've not got close family in the UK, just the four of us, so i'm hoping the home sickness won't be too bad.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

You`l be fine then,lol you will just miss your familiarity then at 1st, but it is amazing how quickly you get acustomed to the differences

So wish I had`nt have bought this house, but you dont know how your gonna feel mths down the line

Bluekipper

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.