Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

malaysian airlines

malaysian airlines

Old Dec 19th 2005, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: malaysian airlines

[QUOTE=sparkley23]
Originally Posted by sparkley23
I flew with them a month ago from London to Brisbane. First leg was good, nice clean plane and good movie choice where you could pick the start time. Second plane was older and looked like it hadn't been cleaned since the last passengers got off - peanuts down sides of seats and bits of food everywhere. Not pleasant. Plus you couldn't choose when the movie started so I kept missing the start as there was no warning!

First leg we left the UK at 10am, after 4 hours all the lights were turned off as it was night-time in Malaysia and therefore time for us all to go to sleep (and 2pm our time still!). I couldn't sleep but was left for almost 10 hours without anything to eat. When I asked for something was given a packet of peanuts.

The breakfast they then served up was rice with prawn curry (very spicy!) with a fried egg on top...interesting!

Have in the past flown with Cathay who were pretty good and Singapore who I couldn't fault, they were fantastic -and the flight attendants have the best outfits too!
Check out the reviews at http://www.airlinequality.com/Airlines/MH.htm and on the right you can check out seating, entertainment, meals etc.

I'm finding it hard to believe that no food was served for 10 hours between London and KL - between Manchester and KL we had 2 meals (a light meal an hour after take off at 8.00 pm, a main meal before landing) and could ask for a snack, fruit, drink, ice cream etc any time!! If they don't bring whatever you want then press the button to summon a steward or walk up to the area where the crew hang out and ask!

OzTennis
Old Dec 19th 2005, 1:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I know there was some issues a few years ago with their flights arriving in UK airspace with no fuel reserves! Some of their flights had to be given emergency landing slots as hey were flying on fumes. As you can imagine this is not good practise! Hopefully they've sorted this out.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/339810.stm

Last edited by Amazulu; Dec 19th 2005 at 1:59 am. Reason: link added
Old Dec 19th 2005, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I know there was some issues a few years ago with their flights arriving in UK airspace with no fuel reserves! Some of their flights had to be given emergency landing slots as hey were flying on fumes. As you can imagine this is not good practise! Hopefully they've sorted this out.

Unrelated Amazulu but your lot are hardly teaching the Aussies at cricket. Did you go to the WACA? It looked hot even on the TV. I liked the 'we like Husseys' banner.

OzTennis
Old Dec 19th 2005, 2:32 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Unrelated Amazulu but your lot are hardly teaching the Aussies at cricket. Did you go to the WACA? It looked hot even on the TV. I liked the 'we like Husseys' banner.

OzTennis
Fair play to that. Aussies are likely going to win this one although rain is forecast for the morning. SA were competative until the last session yesterday. Some of the umpiring decisions have been terrible (umpire apologised to Smith for his decision not to give Ponting out). It was boiling there yesterday, it was hitting 36c at one stage. I sat for 7 odd hours in the sun with no shade it was probably one of the worst days of cricket that I have ever seen (for both teams). Good on Hodge for his 203. If Warne does his stuff tomorrow then it's an Aussie win.
Old Dec 19th 2005, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

[thanks everyone,
your help is very much appreciated

Marie
Old Dec 19th 2005, 8:37 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu

They have done this as recently as last year and been rapped by the CAA for it. They also cut the amount of oxygen in the passenger cabin to save fuel - not noticable unless you have asthma/breathing difficulties, but if you are a sufferer you may feel faint and light-headed.
Old Dec 19th 2005, 9:13 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Flew Malaysian from London to Sydney via KL return last year, found them pretty average. As others have said, the fleet's ageing and the decor and entertainment are a bit on the crap side. We found the cabin crew a bit shit too - they failed to provide a child's meal for our son (all booked well ahead and it was clearly marked on the tickets) and when we complained the stewardess got all snotty about it and said "what do you want me to do about it?" My missus nearly kicked into air-rage mode right there because Josh was bloody starving. Won't be flying with them again unless it's absolutely necessary.
Old Dec 19th 2005, 9:57 am
Des
Des

Des is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really nice

Originally Posted by robert cowan
are they as good as emirates? flying from oz to uk
have flown them twice & THEY ARE RUBBISH FOOD WAS CRAP. could not provide the food my wife asked for they were basically rude. i will never fly them im switching to emirates/ singapore.

des
Old Dec 19th 2005, 10:14 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have any experience of flying to Oz as yet, but for my friends/family who have been.... they swear by Emirates! One friend said "you don't need first class when you fly with Emirates". Thats who I will be booking with when I go!
Old Dec 19th 2005, 2:08 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
I don't have any experience of flying to Oz as yet, but for my friends/family who have been.... they swear by Emirates! One friend said "you don't need first class when you fly with Emirates". Thats who I will be booking with when I go!
Matter of opinion of course, but I would say Emirates are more like last class than first class