Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Makings of the Aussie Accent

The Makings of the Aussie Accent

Old Nov 7th 2007, 6:57 am
Banned

waterlooo will become famous soon enough
Default The Makings of the Aussie Accent

If there is one aspect that defines Australians it must surely be their accent, but where did it come from and how has it evolved over 200+ years? And do we all sound the same?

Guests
Felicity Cox
Phonetician and lecturer at Macquarie University

Lawrie Zion
Journalist and lecturer in media studies at La Trobe University and researcher and writer of documentary The Sounds of Aus

Listen Now|Download Audio
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/latenightli...07/2083534.htm
Old Nov 7th 2007, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Makings of the Aussie Accent

Theres a programme about this on the tv on Thursday evening and I can't wait to see it! I can't for the life of me work out how the Aussie accent evolved from mostly British descendants!
Old Nov 7th 2007, 7:00 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Makings of the Aussie Accent

When i was little my parents said it came about from trying to keep flies out of the mouth