Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Making an offer on a house - WA

Making an offer on a house - WA

Old Nov 27th 2010, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making an offer on a house - WA

Originally Posted by Sunshine7
Do you need planning permission to put in a pool?
Yes, but it's a task the swimming pool company would probably do, at least the company we used did.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all

Ah, so we would need to offer subject to permission for a pool as well, thanks.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by irishbloo
I thought all agents had to present all offers.
They do as long as it has been written up on an Offer and Acceptance form. The agent can decline offers on the sellers behalf providing it hasn't reached the O and A stage.
We have told our agent what our minimum price is and not to present offers below that.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on the council, it can take weeks to get planning permission. Also, I don't think you would be able to apply for planning permission when you weren't the owner of the property.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Anecdotally it's a buyers market in WA right now. I wouldn't be afraid to make any offers, just don't expect seller's to be rational. Also beware of the cost of falling in love, cast a wide net and keep your options open.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Articles in weekend papers about the Perth property market, which is good for you Sunshine, not so good for Loch Lomond. Sunshine, have you looked into local primary and high schools for the house you're interested in?
Old Nov 27th 2010, 9:34 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

you could put a clause subject to a pool being able to fit in the given space. Any decent pool company would do a survey to let you know if a pool would fit in accordance with shire rules. As long as the shire rules are adhered to then pool planning permission is rarely not granted.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all

We have looked at the schools in the area Helen, though we don't have an actual house in mind yet, just an area. The schools are okay going by the published stats - not fantastic, but then when I started looking at stats for other schools most of them seem to be much about such.

You know, nobody seems to be willing to take a great deal off the asking price so we must be just finding sellers who are in no hurry I suppose.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

You know, nobody seems to be willing to take a great deal off the asking price so we must be just finding sellers who are in no hurry I suppose.
Markets are rarely rational. Hence why so many of us have chosen to stay out of the market.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Some sellers have priced their property to suit the current market, so won't budge and can wait. The discounts are the desperate sellers, the ones who over extended themselves. Someone posted previously to offer 20% below asking price, that will certainly weed out the desperate sellers.

I accepted an offer on my home at $15000 above asking price, unfortunately it fell through as a condition of sale was the buyer got the WA Medical Board approval to practice here...turns out we have enough doctors I turned down an offer this week of $10000 less than my asking price, no counter offer, I just turned it down. The potential buyers want to come back for a 3rd viewing to possibly make another offer. Both these offers have been in the last 6 weeks and within 9 weeks of going up for sale.

Is the market that bad? You be the judge. Maybe in some areas and in some price ranges. My home open last weekend had 13 couples through, with 4 couples now looking at marketing their properties and offering on mine.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
Is the market that bad? You be the judge. Maybe in some areas and in some price ranges. My home open last weekend had 13 couples through, with 4 couples now looking at marketing their properties and offering on mine.
It's tough being in a chain but 13 viewings is pretty good.

I had a quick sneaky look around a property two blocks away this evening, the tenants were moving out and I asked if I could have a quick look around. They said that they were there for the open house this morning and nobody showed up. The owners have done a lot of work but I think they are asking about 15% over what they paid a little over a year ago. They're dreaming in this market. The tenants said that the open house last weekend was very quiet too.