Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Making the move without being ther before

Making the move without being ther before

Old Aug 21st 2007, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making the move without being ther before

making the decision in a fraction of a second is okay.... but luckily there is a hugely long process to go through befoer you actiually get to do it.... we started talking about the whole thing 3 years ago, I trook a year out to do this course that I've just finished... so we didn't rush things,

I think the application process is like a huge cooling off period... during it I didn't appreciate it... but now at the other end of it I understand the benfit od having such a drawn out process, it must save a lot of heartache in the long run...
Old Aug 21st 2007, 8:17 am
Just Joined

BugBabe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

A few years ago we were all set on New Zealand. I would have gone there happily without ever having been there before, but my husband is a bit more 'sensible' and thought we should visit first. We went last Xmas, had a fabulous holiday on both islands, but decided it wasn't for us.

We think we would be more suited to Australia, so were going out next year to look, with the idea of moving the year after. It is an expensive way to do it, but we figure it would have been even more expensive, time consuming and a hell of a lot of upheval for our kids if we went without visiting and decided to return. If we didnt have our little ones we would have just gone

But I should say, Im not unhappy with life here in the UK as some people seem to be, we are looking for adventure, so a move to us isn't essential, just preferable
Good luck to everyone
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:02 am
Just Joined

ashbash is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Making the move without being ther before

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Good to know I'm not totally mad. Are you guyd heading over on your own? Anything lined up for yourselves pre arrival?
I have never been before and will be leaving from Heathrow on Tuesday 11th September. I have a job waiting for me and am now getting really excited although I am a little nervous as never been before and I am going on my own. I don't know anyone at all in Sydney but hopefuly that will all change soon.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

sandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to all

Hey, just wondering if any of you have made the move over to Australia without having been there before (for whatever reason, I'm not here to judge ) Also, if you have, how have things went for you and would you recommend it?
Hi we are going without ever visiting. Mostly going on word of mouth from other people we know that have lived in Perth for a number of years. I think if we had done the reccie thing we would have treated it like a holiday and not as a place to live. We are really looking forward to it and to the kids its like a big adventure.

I see you are from Dublin, what part are you in. If you ever want to meet up to talk about it I am sure we could arrange it. BTW we are just at the start of the house selling process. Got the visa in May.

Good luck to everyone in there journey Down Under hope it all goes well for you.

Sandra
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sandav
Hi we are going without ever visiting. Mostly going on word of mouth from other people we know that have lived in Perth for a number of years. I think if we had done the reccie thing we would have treated it like a holiday and not as a place to live. We are really looking forward to it and to the kids its like a big adventure.

I see you are from Dublin, what part are you in. If you ever want to meet up to talk about it I am sure we could arrange it. BTW we are just at the start of the house selling process. Got the visa in May.

Good luck to everyone in there journey Down Under hope it all goes well for you.

Sandra
Hey thanks for that Sandra. Might do that sometime. Going to go on this seminar thing at the end of October to see what I'm getting myself into. Have you heard about it? Or maybe you've been to one of them already.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I had never been, but no regrets about coming out four months ago.
I still won't commit to Oz forever, but I wouldn't commit to any country forever! There are so many to try, and I think never say never. Committing to one country permanently means ruling out all other countries!
Obviously I did lots of research beforehand, but I would agree with others about a holiday not being a true taste of living here, and saving the money as a 'get-out-fund' if you need it.
If you can afford it, maybe use the money to travel around Oz for a month before deciding what area to settle in? Or just pick a couple of areas and investigate them thoroughly. But to be honest I still think you have to actually live somewhere to know what it is like to live there! So what have you got to lose? Jump in!
Old Aug 21st 2007, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

sandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to all

Hey thanks for that Sandra. Might do that sometime. Going to go on this seminar thing at the end of October to see what I'm getting myself into. Have you heard about it? Or maybe you've been to one of them already.
No I havent heard of it, but have been to 2 of them in the RDS. Is that where its on. If it is might go again as sometimes you can still pick up a bit of info and its an excuse for a day out without the kids.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sandav
No I havent heard of it, but have been to 2 of them in the RDS. Is that where its on. If it is might go again as sometimes you can still pick up a bit of info and its an excuse for a day out without the kids.
Yeah the one in the RDS. 21 Oct I think.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

marklyndapoole is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Making the move without being ther before

Hey, just wondering if any of you have made the move over to Australia without having been there before (for whatever reason, I'm not here to judge ) Also, if you have, how have things went for you and would you recommend it?
We have been here 4 weeks in Sydney and have never visited. Good thing for us is that we had housing to rent and work straight away which helped. Too early to say if the correct thing to do. Its always an advantage to check it out first but I reckon there are more people here that havent visited than you think. We are here in Sydney and are going to spend alot of time checking out the local area to perhaps buy and settle. Could probably answer the question better in a year.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

ashbash is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by marklyndapoole
We have been here 4 weeks in Sydney and have never visited. Good thing for us is that we had housing to rent and work straight away which helped. Too early to say if the correct thing to do. Its always an advantage to check it out first but I reckon there are more people here that havent visited than you think. We are here in Sydney and are going to spend alot of time checking out the local area to perhaps buy and settle. Could probably answer the question better in a year.
Hi there, I am coming out to Sydney in 3 weeks and wondered if there was any areas that were a complete no go, I have been looking at Bondi, Coogee, Marouba, Surry Hills, Waterloo but have no idea what they are like. Do you have any suggestions as I have never been and as I will be alone don't want to be anywhere dodgy? Thanks
Old Aug 21st 2007, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

gaynor-andy is an unknown quantity at this point

Not been before, visa lodged today, once accepted going out for five weeks to visit aderlaide and validate visa's Then move at a later date date once house is sold etc.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

gaynor-andy is an unknown quantity at this point

Not been there before , will go for five weeks once we have received visa to validate them. Then move at a later date once everything is sold.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

paulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nice

Id never been to Australia before we migrated however my husband backpacked here over 12 years ago. He said I would love it but it was my decision to come here. We have been here for 6 months (with our two boys 1 and 3) and yes we do love it. We have settled in really well and should start building our house this week.

Where are you planning to move to?

Cheers

Sue
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

Yeah the one in the RDS. 21 Oct I think.
I might go to that and see if I can get anymore info to add to the info I already have. I think I'm losing it now or just fed up because I've finished filling in forms.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

marklyndapoole is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ashbash
Hi there, I am coming out to Sydney in 3 weeks and wondered if there was any areas that were a complete no go, I have been looking at Bondi, Coogee, Marouba, Surry Hills, Waterloo but have no idea what they are like. Do you have any suggestions as I have never been and as I will be alone don't want to be anywhere dodgy? Thanks
Ref your move to Sydney I can say from 4 weeks of being here you have selected some reasonable areas. A colleague at work lives in Cougee. Good beach area especially if on your own. Other areas seem ok but remember I have only been here 4 weeks. No go areas as far as I am concerned are Liverpool and some of the western suburbs. Remember the better areas are more expensive. Sutherland area near Cronulla baech are generally popular. We are thinking of outside Sydney but commutable. Hope this helps a bit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.