Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Major incident in Melbourne.

Major incident in Melbourne.

Old Jan 26th 2017, 2:00 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Major incident in Melbourne.

Originally Posted by Beoz
Good point. If people are giving away their Australian Open tickets out of "fear" I might grab a last minute flight.
You can always check eBay! (bloody opportunist)
Old Jan 26th 2017, 2:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
There is far more fear here..... People refusing to go to the city, refusing to use public transport, scared of the MCG, scared of the tennis.

What I saw amongst Londoners was the complete opposite.... "We've got to show we aren't scared and actually go out of their way to go to these places" Problem is that observation from the UK is basically 30 odd years old now.... Which is why i queried is it generational. ?

A IRA bomb scare in the UK in the 70's at Euston or London Bridge was generally greeted with humour by the general public.... You could actually play spot the tourist... they'd be the ones running....here they would be close to panicking.

We had an Anthrax scare at Aus Post in our center when Anthrax was all the rage.... White powder the lot.... People were actually crying, about 30 rushed out of the center and went home... Most did stay and keep working in the safe area....

Never saw people anywhere in the UK react with the fear I've seen here.

"
Its very true. Peole here do seem to have more fear than I ever witnessed back in the days of the IRA campaigns. I have the same memories of the 'they won't beat us' attitude when there were evacuations or even actual explosions. I remember Brighton the morning after the Grand Hotel went up - only thing that annoyed us was the fact we couldn't get along the seafront. No fear of other devices etc, just a great fury that they could do that to 'our' town.

However when I flew through Melbourne the other day there were peoople waiting to board asing the staff if it was safe to return to the city. There was a woman on the flight saying she was going to hand in her notice as she couldn't cope with working in the CBD. And a guy in the Qantas Cub spent the whole 2 hours I was there making phone calls sorting out counselling sessions for people and shuffling other appointments to fit people in.

As for a generational thing - certainly those I overheard/saw were in their 30/40s. I do know several late 20s people in Brisbane who are scared by anything like this. They can't really understand what a large incident would be like as they have never been involved in one, so they get panicked by small ones.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 2:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Bit of a different take on it. Not an argument, everyone's take on it is valid.

I dont see people being scared to go into melbourne, some maybe, but some would not now go to paris etc either. 50,000 are down the city right now holding a Invasion day protest.

The way I am seeing/hearing it being a Melbourne resident was last Fridays incident in the Bourke St Mall, had nothing to do with the Diana effect, ( which was crazy ) .

It has to do with being totally sick and fed up and tired of the bloody violence in Melbourne right now.

A lot of it is drug related, and just a month ago a planned terror attack on Melbourne Landmarks was disrupted by police just before Christmas.

Heap of violent incidents before and after Friday, todays news is another grind of it .....

Bourke street on Friday just brought it to a head, Melbournes CBD, icons, landmarks, like Sydney all sit in a few blocks you could navigate in a morning on foot. Its a tiny area so everyone relates to it, knows it, feels part of it. And the people were so ordinary, workers, people taking their kids for a day out in the city.

People helped out just like they would anywhere in the world. If you are one of the frequent CBD dwellers or workers it would be hard not to feel something. That corner has been a Melbourne meeting place for almost a century, millions in Melbourne would feel some connection to it, hence why the reaction has probably been so big.

Anyway here's to a peaceful 2017, as unlikely as that wish unfortunately is
Old Jan 26th 2017, 9:26 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich

Anyway here's to a peaceful 2017, as unlikely as that wish unfortunately is
Seconded Jad