Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Big Move to Oz in 2017

The Big Move to Oz in 2017

Old Jan 16th 2017, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

Jason2017 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Big Move to Oz in 2017

Hi everyone, hope you don't mind me posting a new thread asking a few questions on life and work in Australia?!

My wife and I want to make this happen in 2017 or beginning of 2018 but there are still questions to be answered and things to sort before we go.

Where are the best places to live and work in Australia with a good work/life balance?

Do you recommend traveling around Australia for a few months before settling?

How easy is it to find non-skilled employment?

There will be more questions I'm sure but that's it for now and I look forward to hearing from you all.

Thanks.

J
Old Jan 16th 2017, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Big Move to Oz in 2017

What visa are you going for ?
Old Jan 16th 2017, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
What visa are you going for ?
Hi Scot47, I'm not sure yet and potentially might not be able to get a visa as a worst case scenario!

I've heard of temporary visa for up to two years? Is that correct?

J
Old Jan 16th 2017, 7:33 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jason2017
How easy is it to find non-skilled employment?
Visas usually require skilled jobs, hence the points test.

You might be able to find some kind of working holiday visa if you are young enough, but it's only temporary and has limits/requirements.

Your first task is working out what visa you might be able to get, and what hoops are needed to jump through. Where to live is No. 82 on the list.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by GarryP
Visas usually require skilled jobs, hence the points test.

You might be able to find some kind of working holiday visa if you are young enough, but it's only temporary and has limits/requirements.

Your first task is working out what visa you might be able to get, and what hoops are needed to jump through. Where to live is No. 82 on the list.
Thanks for the reply GarryP.

That is our first task, check out which visa we need!

I only had a list of 10 things to do! Ha
Old Jan 16th 2017, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply GarryP.

That is our first task, check out which visa we need!

I only had a list of 10 things to do! Ha
Without it, forget the other 9.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Beoz
Without it, forget the other 9.
Exactly!
Old Jan 16th 2017, 9:53 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Scot47, I'm not sure yet and potentially might not be able to get a visa as a worst case scenario!

I've heard of temporary visa for up to two years? Is that correct?

J
Start with a good read of the visa section of Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection and work out if you qualify for anything.

If you are under 31 you and your wife could both get a WHV, that gives you 12 months on a working holiday and if you do 3 months regional/farm work you qualify for a second year. Beyond that you need to have skills on the SOL or CSOL - for that read the website thoroughly
Old Jan 17th 2017, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - temporary visas are not just for whoever rocks up and wants one. Read the visa options and the skilled occupation lists very carefully to see what might apply for you. WHV is an option if you are young enough and want to see the place - as well (at least in my field), if you do come later on a permanent visa, prior Australian experience is reassuring to employers, even if it is not in their field.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

Walesfamily is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello
I am looking for a little advice on the big move to Australia as I have a family of 5 and have a lot of questions before I can really decide on the best place for my family whether it be here in north wakes uk or Australia, we have thought about this for a number of years and I have been the one a little reserved (husband would leave here tomorrow)I have looked at the visa's available and see we
could both be eligible for the skilled permanent visa, any advice/ experience's to share would be a great help thanks in advance
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 8:28 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Walesfamily
Hello
I am looking for a little advice on the big move to Australia as I have a family of 5 and have a lot of questions before I can really decide on the best place for my family whether it be here in north wakes uk or Australia, we have thought about this for a number of years and I have been the one a little reserved (husband would leave here tomorrow)I have looked at the visa's available and see we
could both be eligible for the skilled permanent visa, any advice/ experience's to share would be a great help thanks in advance
As in the advice above, make sure you are eligible for a visa first - so look at which of you passes the skills assessment for your trade/skill, and make sure that person allso meets the requirements for the visa application itself.
Also look into yur own finances - visas and the associated costs plus the relocation and set-up csts for a family of 5 will be sustantial.

People on here can help more if they now what areas your skills lie in.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Walesfamily is an unknown quantity at this point

I have looked into the visas and understand very little on exactly which one would best fit us, I did a quick points check and seem to come back with the 189 and the 190 (i think that's what they were), my husband is a bricklayer with 14 years time served and I'm an accounts. Assistant with 5 years experience not sure to what level as an accountant in Australia I would need to be at?? Thanks again
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 8:50 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Walesfamily
I have looked into the visas and understand very little on exactly which one would best fit us, I did a quick points check and seem to come back with the 189 and the 190 (i think that's what they were), my husband is a bricklayer with 14 years time served and I'm an accounts. Assistant with 5 years experience not sure to what level as an accountant in Australia I would need to be at?? Thanks again
Do you have an accounting degree?
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

You will need to pass a skills assessment to be eligible for a 189 or a 190.

The name of the relevant assessing authority is next to each occupation on the SOL:

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/...ions-lists/SOL

The web sites of each assessing authority will usually explain in detail what their requirements are and what documents you have to send to obtain a positive result.

It is not a formality - a lot of people think their occupation is on the SOL/CSOL but don't actually meet the requirements for a positive skills assessment.

At this point, if you feel you are serious about wanting to move - your focus should be squarely on the skills assessment, and you may want to speak to a registered migration agent who has experience in guiding clients through the process for that occupation.

I would put off anything else until you get a positive skills assessment back. If I read your post correctly, you said you were an accountant's assistant, not an accountant - do you have a university degree that qualifies you as an accountant?

Bricklayer is also on the SOL and that might be the way to go.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 6:11 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

The Down Under Centre

Suggest you might have a chat with Wes at the Down Under Centre in London about the skills assessment process for Bricklayers.

Also maybe discuss visa strategy with one or two registered migration agents. Though I am open to an allegation of a vested interest I invite you to consider approaching/instructing a firm with an office in the UK and Australia so you have a local point of contact and representation where your visa application is being processed.

Where to live in Australia? We moved to Geelong (Victoria) nearly 16 years ago. We still love it, and the weather is very agreeable, particularly this time of year. Loads of land subdivisions and house building taking place on this side of Melbourne, and on the roads down to the coast (see Waralily Armstrong Creek as an example) means there should be work for bricklayers.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.