Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Made it & guilty feelings

Made it & guilty feelings

Old Sep 25th 2008, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

stepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nice
Default Made it & guilty feelings

Well I am now sitting on the balcony at 4:30 in the morning listening to the birds singing & watching the glittering lights of Sydney! I made it in one piece after speaking to my psychologist (who told me to take diazepam as that's what he does!!) I got on the plane without a hitch, he says anyone doing the same thing was to ask the doctor not for the 4 tablets they normally give you ask for about 12, don't let yourself begin to panic even if it means taking one a couple of days before to take the edge off.

I got sat next to a lovely couple, both in their 80's who kept calling each other mum & dad so I don't know their names. I awoke to find her covering me with a blanket so I didn't get cold apologising that she had woken me They have been out here for 58 years she told me it was probably the last time she would see her famly in the UK & it wasn't just newbies that had the guilty feelings for leaving, but when she summed her life up she wasn't sad in the least. She was very homesick when she first came out, went back a couple of times once to adopt her sisters children and again to bring her senile mother out of a nursing home (leaving her Father in the home at his bequest) to spend the rest of her life with them in Oz. In the 3 years she lasted her mother never once knew who she was but always talked about having a daughter who was now settled happily in Australia (yes as you can imagine the tears flowed like rivers but what an inspiring story she had to tell.) Truly beautiful people.

So the morale to the story is this, for anyone who is feeling quilty about leaving the family, don't wait, the decision won't get any easier. The only way you will find out for sure if you're making the right decision is by doing it. Flights go both ways, so if you find that Australia wasn't the right decision you can always book a flight back. As my new found 'mum' says it's only money so what if you need to tighten the belt a little to get back on track? You'll get there!

Want to put my thanks out to everyone on BE for all their help & support getting me here. I've been to Coles (Lane Cove) & found a 1.25l bottle of Irn Bru for $1.79 (which is cheaper than in Scotland) Ok nearly choked at $5 for a pack of Kit Kats but not too sure whether to be horrified as I never bought them in the UK. I somehow feel that I have truly come home, I feel at peace in a strange way (probably due to the overdose of diazepam )

Good luck and best wishes to everyone in the process of making their way out here, there are never wrong decisions in life just wrong solutions!

ps it's 5mg Diazepam. It's easier to get to that place between tranquility & completely out of your face easier than the 10mg smashed off your t*ts tablets lol

Last edited by stepbeanie; Sep 25th 2008 at 7:18 pm. Reason: didn't want people to think I was overdosing on higher strength tablets lol
Old Sep 25th 2008, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Made it & guilty feelings

Originally Posted by stepbeanie
Well I am now sitting on the balcony at 4:30 in the morning listening to the birds singing & watching the glittering lights of Sydney! I made it in one piece after speaking to my psychologist (who told me to take diazepam as that's what he does!!) I got on the plane without a hitch, he says anyone doing the same thing was to ask the doctor not for the 4 tablets they normally give you ask for about 12, don't let yourself begin to panic even if it means taking one a couple of days before to take the edge off.

I got sat next to a lovely couple, both in their 80's who kept calling each other mum & dad so I don't know their names. I awoke to find her covering me with a blanket so I didn't get cold apologising that she had woken me They have been out here for 58 years she told me it was probably the last time she would see her famly in the UK & it wasn't just newbies that had the guilty feelings for leaving, but when she summed her life up she wasn't sad in the least. She was very homesick when she first came out, went back a couple of times once to adopt her sisters children and again to bring her senile mother out of a nursing home (leaving her Father in the home at his bequest) to spend the rest of her life with them in Oz. In the 3 years she lasted her mother never once knew who she was but always talked about having a daughter who was now settled happily in Australia (yes as you can imagine the tears flowed like rivers but what an inspiring story she had to tell.) Truly beautiful people.

So the morale to the story is this, for anyone who is feeling quilty about leaving the family, don't wait, the decision won't get any easier. The only way you will find out for sure if you're making the right decision is by doing it. Flights go both ways, so if you find that Australia wasn't the right decision you can always book a flight back. As my new found 'mum' says it's only money so what if you need to tighten the belt a little to get back on track? You'll get there!

Want to put my thanks out to everyone on BE for all their help & support getting me here. I've been to Coles (Lane Cove) & found a 1.25l bottle of Irn Bru for $1.79 (which is cheaper than in Scotland) Ok nearly choked at $5 for a pack of Kit Kats but not too sure whether to be horrified as I never bought them in the UK. I somehow feel that I have truly come home, I feel at peace in a strange way (probably due to the overdose of diazepam )

Good luck and best wishes to everyone in the process of making their way out here, there are never wrong decisions in life just wrong solutions!

ps it's 5mg Diazepam. It's easier to get to that place between tranquility & completely out of your face easier than the 10mg smashed off your t*ts tablets lol
Hi. I enjoyed reading your post. Glad to hear you made it to Sydney safely. Are the lights of Sydney really glittering or is the diazepam still wearing off
What an interesting couple you met and what a life they've had....makes mine seem relatively simple! Good to hear that they have no regrets after all these years!
I'm heading to Sydney in 2 weeks for a reccie/holiday and am really excited. I know that emotions will be running really high when I actually emigrate but you're right, flights are 2 way, and life's too short to put off decisions.
Irn bru for $1.79.........ye cannae beat it
Old Sep 25th 2008, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold

Aww such a lovely post, my eyes was filling up just reading the part you wrote about the wonderfull couple you met , Just want to wish you all the very best and Good luck,
Old Sep 25th 2008, 9:03 pm
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stepbeanie

Lovely story thanks for that. xx
Old Sep 25th 2008, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Boweaver will become famous soon enough

I agree fab post. Nice to hear a bit of positivity.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

margy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to all

Hi All,

Lovely story, it's true life is too short and it is only money.

We've got a similar story in our family about a beloved family member who always wanted a piano, it arrived just after she passed away. Don't put it off, get that piano now.

Thanks all.

M
Old Sep 26th 2008, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for sharing your experience - I've had the pleasure of meeting inspiring and nice people when I travelled. Totally agree with your phycologist better not to even allow your self to panic.

Good luck in your new country

T x
Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mad city fan
Aww such a lovely post, my eyes was filling up just reading the part you wrote about the wonderfull couple you met , Just want to wish you all the very best and Good luck,
Ditto