Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

QLD Drivers Licence Questions

QLD Drivers Licence Questions

Old Sep 24th 2008, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Gussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to allGussy is a name known to all
Default QLD Drivers Licence Questions

Hello, I'm looking for some info on driver licences please.

I'm from Ireland living here in Queensland since June on a Spouse Visa. As with the Uk, I can transfer my full licence for a QLD one by simply going in, paying the fee and exchanging it.

My questions are:

1. I rang QLD transport twice and got differing accounts telling me that I am supposed to submit my licence for a Queensland one within 3 months. As I'm on a Spouse Visa, I'm technically not a citizen or PR so where do I stand?

I don't want to do it if I don't need to and as I return back to Ireland a few times a year, and having my Irish licence still with me would save me alot of hassle when driving in case of a licence check, insurance etc.

2. If I didn't transfer it over and got demerit points for example - would these ever be transfered to my new Aussie if I did get one?
How long do these demerit points last for - 3 years is it?

3. Is it still possible to get rego / comprehensive insurance in Australia on a Irish / Uk licence?

Many thanks in advance.

Fergus
Old Sep 24th 2008, 10:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: QLD Drivers Licence Questions

You are on a Spouse Visa so you either have PR or a Temp visa. If you're on a temp one (having to resubmit in two years for PR) you can stay on your Irish licence for the term of the visa. If you have PR (married for five years or for two and with children) you have to transfer the licence within three months. They shouldn't do anything with your Irish one - they didn't with my British one - they don't legally have a right to do anything with your Irish one so don't let them if they want to.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 10:33 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Can't answer all your questions except to say that I am here on a provisional spouse visa, so am neither permanent resident nor citizen. It isn't very clear in our situation at what stage you should get a QLD licence but to avoid any possible problems with the police, I went in and got my queensland licence. You don't "exchange" your licence as such, you just get a queensland one in addition to your other one. I'm from the UK but am assuming it's the same for Ireland. It's also quite a useful piece of ID to have as well.

Hope this helps a little bit
Old Sep 24th 2008, 11:30 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

A Qld licence will be handy for ID purposes as it's used often on application forms etc.

I am a temporary resident and I have both Qld and UK licence. Just a quick form to fill out and that's it...you'll get your licence about five minutes later.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 12:18 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm not from the UK but when I got my QLD licence they handed me back my Canadian one untouched. I thought they'd punch a hole or damage it in some way but it is in perfect shape. So I have a QLD one and still keep my Canadian one for trips back to Canada. The address would of course be wrong so probably wouldn't help if I got pulled over anyway.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 1:01 pm
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by comet555
I'm not from the UK but when I got my QLD licence they handed me back my Canadian one untouched. I thought they'd punch a hole or damage it in some way but it is in perfect shape. So I have a QLD one and still keep my Canadian one for trips back to Canada. The address would of course be wrong so probably wouldn't help if I got pulled over anyway.
I believe they will only ask you to surrender a license from another state in australia, they won't expect you to surrender an international license....this is my experience anyway...have qld license and uk license untouched
Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:45 am
ABCDiamond

In QLD you definately get your overseas licence back.

In SA their website says that they keep it, and in NSW they "used" to hole punch it and then give it back.

However, an Australian licence can also be straight swapped for a UK licence if you do return.