Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mackay - where to live?

Mackay - where to live?

Old Oct 15th 2011, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

cazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nice
Smile Mackay - where to live?

We are moving from Canberra to Mackay around Xmas time, not to sure where to live, any ideas will be great!, also we are looking for a "man with a van" to move our belongings up as well, again any throughts will be fab.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of
Default Re: Mackay - where to live?

There are really no bad areas in Mackay...well there use to be a bad area but Franny Mac has moved to Perth now so its not a problem now!
PM me with your family details and I will get back to you.
If you have kids or one of you doesnt drive will have a major bearing on your choice of area.
They have just opened a new shopping centre this week it is amazing! Best free water park in Queensland too!
Where have you got a job?
HKA
x
Old Dec 11th 2011, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

jojosmile is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hollykimalan
There are really no bad areas in Mackay...well there use to be a bad area but Franny Mac has moved to Perth now so its not a problem now!
PM me with your family details and I will get back to you.
If you have kids or one of you doesnt drive will have a major bearing on your choice of area.
They have just opened a new shopping centre this week it is amazing! Best free water park in Queensland too!
Where have you got a job?
HKA
x
Have you moved ? Is it worth moving from the UK, we have a reasonable life here (except the weather) trying to work out the best option- move or stay
Old Dec 11th 2011, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Iv been posted to Mackay but have been recommended to check out cannonvale as I don't have to be in Mackay! Is it a good enough area?
Old Dec 11th 2011, 7:19 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Iv been posted to Mackay but have been recommended to check out cannonvale as I don't have to be in Mackay! Is it a good enough area?
Cannonvale and Airlie Beach generally is IMO far nicer than Mackay - cheaper too. I'd say that was good advice.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Ah.. Hi again. I was meaning to ask you a few questions.

Friend of mine said to check out cannonvale way.. I'd only have to go to Mackay every so often. Cannonvale looks really nice and waaaaaaay cheaper than Mackay too. Do you know if theres any mountain biking up there at all?
Old Dec 11th 2011, 7:48 pm

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Ah.. Hi again. I was meaning to ask you a few questions.

Friend of mine said to check out cannonvale way.. I'd only have to go to Mackay every so often. Cannonvale looks really nice and waaaaaaay cheaper than Mackay too. Do you know if theres any mountain biking up there at all?
No sorry - it would probably be too hot for much outdoor activity at the moment but in winter it would be great. Lovely weather - bright sun and no humidity.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
No sorry - it would probably be too hot for much outdoor activity at the moment but in winter it would be great. Lovely weather - bright sun and no humidity.
What is the temperature at its hottest up there? 30c or so?
Old Dec 11th 2011, 8:06 pm

What is the temperature at its hottest up there? 30c or so?
Probably gets to 33 - 35 ish? It's the humidity that's the killer - especially when the breeze drops off - at the moment it's too hot to do anything outdoors. I get up at 4.30am for a run and then back to sleep. At 5.30 am it's bright hot sunshine!!! The sun is pretty intense too - you need to protect your skin by covering up and wearing factor 30.