Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A luvverly cup of cha

A luvverly cup of cha

Old May 2nd 2006, 3:52 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A luvverly cup of cha

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
Jeez, I hope the climate don't affect the strength of my contraception......I sure as hell don't want any more kiddies!
I must point out JFW that I think you are using the tea bags in the wrong place and for the wrong purpose although your husband probably likes a nightly cup of tea... :scared: .
Old May 2nd 2006, 5:10 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seasprite
Hello, bit of a sad question really... what is the best tea to buy in Australia, (as in, closest to a decent UK brew?) We like Twinings Assam here, or good old Tetley...thanks.
Where I work we get Twinings English Breakfast which is nice but expensive. We drink Tetleys at home. I prefer the weaker tea here as I found the tea in the UK to be too strong.

Dulux paint does not have a good reputation here. I was talking to a painter who was painting our neighbours house & he said that it was crap. He reckons the brands to go for are Solver or British Paints.
Old May 2nd 2006, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I have never heard of this in my entire life and I've lived in both countries. I find the tea in Britain no stronger or weaker than the tea in Australia.

And what does the weather have to do with anything? What difference would that make to people's preferred tea strength?

These funny little anecdotes are amusing enough in their way, but they don't actually prove anything. Anyone got some genuine, solid proof from the people who actually produce the tea? Anyone...?

Next you'll be telling me that Dulux in Australia is slightly different for some bizarre reason because it has to cope with the Australian sun.

Or whatever.

Vash,

I work in a let's say very large food company. Most of the so called strategic (sold all over the world, popular brands) products do vary from country to country.

The simple reason is that they have to fit local taste (regardless of the reason for that). In some factories that supply a few different countries it is actually a big pain in the backside as you have to change reciepies frequently.

So I would consider it perfectly normal if Twinnings or Lipton teas tasted slightly different in Oz and in UK.

A good example is CocaCola where some substantial differences exist from country to country.

Nothing wrong with that either.
Old May 2nd 2006, 5:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mipik
Vash,

I work in a let's say very large food company. Most of the so called strategic (sold all over the world, popular brands) products do vary from country to country.

The simple reason is that they have to fit local taste (regardless of the reason for that). In some factories that supply a few different countries it is actually a big pain in the backside as you have to change reciepies frequently.

So I would consider it perfectly normal if Twinnings or Lipton teas tasted slightly different in Oz and in UK.

A good example is CocaCola where some substantial differences exist from country to country.

I can understand that with coke and other products with ingredients but tea is tea. Nothing added, nothing taken away surely. Don't drink the stuff myself, can't bear the taste or smell but that's irrelevant
Old May 2nd 2006, 5:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Next you'll be telling me that Dulux in Australia is slightly different for some bizarre reason because it has to cope with the Australian sun.

Or whatever.
Bizzare it is then for outside you DO use different paint here, unless you do it fades in months, the sunfast or colourguard (UV) expensive stuff will hold its colour much longer.
Old May 2nd 2006, 6:28 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: A luvverly cup of cha

Originally Posted by Shellfish
Well, I have tasted both and I definitely find the aussie one weaker so I don't drink it.

Lipton's is pretty nice though
To reiterate Moneypen's point: how do you change the strength of a tea leaf?

I'm just dying to know.
Old May 2nd 2006, 6:29 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: A luvverly cup of cha

Originally Posted by tracey brien
funny you should say that! We have dulux on all our walls and it is not as hard wearing or washable as in the UK. Now whether that is the paint or the plaster on the walls, Idon't know. Has anyone else found this? Can't seem to get the kid's grubby hand prints to wash off and it's supposed to be 'wash and wear' (bet you thought I was going to say something else!)

Tracey
Oh please.

If it's that bad, I suggest you write to Dulux and demand an explanation.

Let me know how you get on.
Old May 2nd 2006, 6:31 am
Fighting my corner

Arrow Re: A luvverly cup of cha

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Bizzare it is then for outside you DO use different paint here, unless you do it fades in months, the sunfast or colourguard (UV) expensive stuff will hold its colour much longer.
Well, obviously.

I meant interior paint; comparing like with like.
Old May 2nd 2006, 6:31 am
Fighting my corner

Originally Posted by Mipik
Vash,

Yes, it makes sense to provide a slightly different product fo a different market. However, nobody's actually proved that this is what they do.
Old May 2nd 2006, 6:33 am
Fighting my corner

Originally Posted by JohnAndNetta
We stayed at a Brisbane B&B and shared breakfast with a tea 'expert', and sorry to say Vash, its official. There ARE differences in strength between (for example) Tetleys over here and the Tetleys equivalent in the UK . But I honestly can't remember the reason he gave, though I don't think it was to do with hot weather in Oz (more likely the growth regions).

I am one of those people that loves weak insipid tea. I used to swirl the bag round a couple of times and it would be in the bin before you knew it. But I have to say I can't stand many of the teas that I used to drink at home out here, because they really are so weak. So we now opt for the extra strong versions. And the irony is that Liptons (normally yuk yuk yuk) do a version called 'Intense' which is probably my favorite, closely followed by Bushells Extra Strong, and there's an Australian Billy extra strong version (can't remember the manufacturers) which isn't bad either.

I just wish I had paid more attention to the tea-man so I knew the reasoning behind the tea mystery , but he was a pretty dull and non-descript person, and I really needed a COFFEE to keep my eyes open whilst he was droning on. Oh, and BTW this was his job (taster & buyer) , not just his claim to fame.

There must be someone else out there that can explain it?????

On a good note - I notice I don't get any scum floating on the top of my tea anymore - like I used to in the South-East of England! So I can only assume this is down to the much improved water quality in Brisbane, but I haven't met any water tasters or experts on my travels, so this is just pure supposition.

Netta
Sorry to disappoint you, but a mere anecdote with no explanation or proof does not make it "official."

BTW, does anyone know how to change the strength of a tea leaf? Have we worked that one out yet?

I'm sure there's money in it.
Old May 2nd 2006, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Sorry to disappoint you, but a mere anecdote with no explanation or proof does not make it "official."

BTW, does anyone know how to change the strength of a tea leaf? Have we worked that one out yet?

I'm sure there's money in it.
Vash,

All these teas are so called blended teas. That is a mixture of various types of tea leaves processed (we are talking black tea here) and mixed to achieve a desired taste/flavour etc. So by slightly changing the proportions you can achieve a different result.

Same thing applies to coffee.
Old May 2nd 2006, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Vash the Stampede]Sorry to disappoint you, but a mere anecdote with no explanation or proof does not make it "official."

Damn, that means I'm going to have to stalk the Aynsley B&B at Paddington. I recall he was a regular there, just need to check out the tea conference dates.........
Old May 2nd 2006, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

Officially, my mate says “to increase the strength of tea you either increase the brewing time or (recommended) increase the amount of tea”.

I asked him if a Tetley tea bag in the UK would be as strong as a Tetley tea bag in Oz. He said “you are an idiot” and threw a tea caddy of Darjeeling at my head.

Can’t get more definitive than that.
Old May 2nd 2006, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dracupg
Officially, my mate says “to increase the strength of tea you either increase the brewing time or (recommended) increase the amount of tea”.

I asked him if a Tetley tea bag in the UK would be as strong as a Tetley tea bag in Oz. He said “you are an idiot” and threw a tea caddy of Darjeeling at my head.

Can’t get more definitive than that.

So how comes my 'teaspoon' of Bushells versus my 'teaspoon' of Bushells extra stong (brewed for the same amount of time) are so different then? Its all very worrying......
Old May 2nd 2006, 9:14 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Can I add my 10 pence worth to this vital discussion!!!

I love my cup of tea of a morning, and have struggled to get a good strong cuppa over here. In between boxes of Clipper tea arriving with friends and family, I survive on Dilmah extra strength bags.

I puzzle over this regularly. I began to think that they put brown staining in the tea bags in the UK because the water gets brown so quickly. I have to leave the bag for ages and ages here. In a rush in the UK I could use the 'squeeze with the teaspoon' technique to get to my desired strength, and that just doesn't work here.

Is it the water rather than the bag?

Oooh, I love a good inane discussion. Let me go and put the kettle on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.