Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A luvverly cup of cha

A luvverly cup of cha

Old May 1st 2006, 10:42 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A luvverly cup of cha

Originally Posted by kista
I did my work experience with tetley and my auntie works there, and after tasting tea for 2 days (all day!!!!) you can notice the difference. apparently, because the weather is hotter, people don't like their tea as strong (or along those lines) and so they make the tea slightly weaker for the AUSTRALIAN market and not the british expats who don't like the change they find out there.
Tetley or any other tea company cannot change the strength of a tea leaf. Only you the consumer can do that generally by adding more water or milk. Obviously different types of tea leaf produce different strengths/flavours of tea but I think you will find that is something to do with India, China, or where ever else they grow the stuff.
Old May 1st 2006, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Good grief, now I've heard it all.

"Taste of the tea is slightly weaker... something to do with the climate." Yeah, right.

What's next - "the tea leaves are a different shape, too... something to do with the atmosphere"?

Who the hell comes up with this stuff?
Well, I have tasted both and I definitely find the aussie one weaker so I don't drink it.

Lipton's is pretty nice though
Old May 1st 2006, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

After spending 3 years in Belgium where their coffee is excellent but their tea absolutely awful I was mortified to find that Liptons were the tea of choice for most people here . It just brings back too many memories of being given a cup of warm water with a teabag on the side and fake lemon juice to put in it.
We have settled on Nerada tea excellent cup (pesticide free Australian grown and tastes wonderful) It is priced OK and comes in very big boxes which is important when you drink as much tea as I do. I love the fact that Australia is a tea drinking nation so when you go out they know how to make a pot of tea (I know I am sad )
Nicky
Old May 1st 2006, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

I have never heard of this in my entire life and I've lived in both countries. I find the tea in Britain no stronger or weaker than the tea in Australia.

And what does the weather have to do with anything? What difference would that make to people's preferred tea strength?

These funny little anecdotes are amusing enough in their way, but they don't actually prove anything. Anyone got some genuine, solid proof from the people who actually produce the tea? Anyone...?

Next you'll be telling me that Dulux in Australia is slightly different for some bizarre reason because it has to cope with the Australian sun.

Or whatever.
I have a lovely Irish friend, and she always makes a pot of t, delicious, its so much betterin a pot.
The Paint, have not tried that yet, i will let you know
Old May 2nd 2006, 12:48 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Next you'll be telling me that Dulux in Australia is slightly different for some bizarre reason because it has to cope with the Australian sun.

Or whatever.
funny you should say that! We have dulux on all our walls and it is not as hard wearing or washable as in the UK. Now whether that is the paint or the plaster on the walls, Idon't know. Has anyone else found this? Can't seem to get the kid's grubby hand prints to wash off and it's supposed to be 'wash and wear' (bet you thought I was going to say something else!)

Tracey
Old May 2nd 2006, 12:53 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tracey brien
funny you should say that! We have dulux on all our walls and it is not as hard wearing or washable as in the UK. Now whether that is the paint or the plaster on the walls, Idon't know. Has anyone else found this? Can't seem to get the kid's grubby hand prints to wash off and it's supposed to be 'wash and wear' (bet you thought I was going to say something else!)

Tracey
Try those 'Chux' erasers - they seem to work well on paint!
Old May 2nd 2006, 1:14 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Jeez, I hope the climate don't affect the strength of my contraception......I sure as hell don't want any more kiddies!
Old May 2nd 2006, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
Jeez, I hope the climate don't affect the strength of my contraception......I sure as hell don't want any more kiddies!
lol
makes you very horny though.
Old May 2nd 2006, 1:39 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranni
lol
makes you very horny though.
hubby will be pleased!
Old May 2nd 2006, 1:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
hubby will be pleased!
What on earth are you doing still up at this hour
Old May 2nd 2006, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

I have never heard of this in my entire life and I've lived in both countries. I find the tea in Britain no stronger or weaker than the tea in Australia.

And what does the weather have to do with anything? What difference would that make to people's preferred tea strength?

These funny little anecdotes are amusing enough in their way, but they don't actually prove anything. Anyone got some genuine, solid proof from the people who actually produce the tea? Anyone...?

Or whatever.

We stayed at a Brisbane B&B and shared breakfast with a tea 'expert', and sorry to say Vash, its official. There ARE differences in strength between (for example) Tetleys over here and the Tetleys equivalent in the UK . But I honestly can't remember the reason he gave, though I don't think it was to do with hot weather in Oz (more likely the growth regions).

I am one of those people that loves weak insipid tea. I used to swirl the bag round a couple of times and it would be in the bin before you knew it. But I have to say I can't stand many of the teas that I used to drink at home out here, because they really are so weak. So we now opt for the extra strong versions. And the irony is that Liptons (normally yuk yuk yuk) do a version called 'Intense' which is probably my favorite, closely followed by Bushells Extra Strong, and there's an Australian Billy extra strong version (can't remember the manufacturers) which isn't bad either.

I just wish I had paid more attention to the tea-man so I knew the reasoning behind the tea mystery , but he was a pretty dull and non-descript person, and I really needed a COFFEE to keep my eyes open whilst he was droning on. Oh, and BTW this was his job (taster & buyer) , not just his claim to fame.

There must be someone else out there that can explain it?????

On a good note - I notice I don't get any scum floating on the top of my tea anymore - like I used to in the South-East of England! So I can only assume this is down to the much improved water quality in Brisbane, but I haven't met any water tasters or experts on my travels, so this is just pure supposition.

Netta
Old May 2nd 2006, 1:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by JohnAndNetta

On a good note - I notice I don't get any scum floating on the top of my tea anymore - like I used to in the South-East of England! So I can only assume this is down to the much improved water quality in Brisbane, but I haven't met any water tasters or experts on my travels, so this is just pure supposition.

Netta
Don't have to descale the kettle any more either.
Old May 2nd 2006, 1:56 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Don't have to descale the kettle any more either.
Yep - that's very true. Bought my kettle last September - not a sign of anything yukky or crusty lurking in the bottom yet. I used to have to descale about once every 8 weeks before.
Old May 2nd 2006, 2:06 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by JohnAndNetta
Yep - that's very true. Bought my kettle last September - not a sign of anything yukky or crusty lurking in the bottom yet. I used to have to descale about once every 8 weeks before.
Water straight from the tap tastes crap though
Old May 2nd 2006, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

miss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant future

David Jones (big department store) stock Yorkshire Tea (my favourite, being a Yorkshire lass !).

Failing that Dilmah Extra Strength is Ok - I put 2 bags in a big mug cos I like it REALLY strong but even one bag is MUCH better than the Tetleys etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.