Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Luggage allowances

Luggage allowances

Old Jul 14th 2005, 2:15 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Luggage allowances

Do luggage allowances vary hugely between airlines when you're emigrating? I know some will give you a discretionary increase because it's one way, but I'm just wondering what the average is.

We have to fly BA next month when we go out for good, and we're being allowed 40kg. each. When we did our reccy trip we were permitted 23kg. How does that compare with others' experiences?
Old Jul 14th 2005, 2:24 pm
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Luggage allowances

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Do luggage allowances vary hugely between airlines when you're emigrating? I know some will give you a discretionary increase because it's one way, but I'm just wondering what the average is.

We have to fly BA next month when we go out for good, and we're being allowed 40kg. each. When we did our reccy trip we were permitted 23kg. How does that compare with others' experiences?
Quantas is professional and strict in this regards:
For single person:
40 = check in. ( 2 bags, 1 bag should not exceed 35kg)
7 = hand baggage (they allowed 7.2 for me)
But on migrant requested and I got good fares and extra 15 kgs on check -in (flight was not so full and i bugged them a lot. but that extra 15 kgs dotn show up on your tic though at booking. Thats a request and they can oblige you)
Ok, there was a Quantas - frequent flier gentleman have multiple entry visa and he was even not allowed extra baggage (check-in). How much he cribed Finally he had to leave some luggage calling someone from home...!

later I found they give a damn to this weight (hand baggage), I helped a lady with small kid to lift her bag in the cabbin and weighing more than 15..

But to play safe be with the rules.
All the best.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

brian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Luggage allowances

If you fly via the US you will get 70kg/person checked baggage (2 bags) plus carry on (not sure the weight limit on that). I think this rule is something that the FAA requires for carriers with international flights entering or exiting from US airports.

Cheers,
Brian
Old Jul 14th 2005, 2:55 pm
paradise in the redlands

neil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really nice

Originally Posted by brian0
If you fly via the US you will get 70kg/person checked baggage (2 bags) plus carry on (not sure the weight limit on that). I think this rule is something that the FAA requires for carriers with international flights entering or exiting from US airports.

Cheers,
Brian
Brian,
Thats exactly what I was told if you fly with New Zealand airlines, going from UK via Los Angeles. Think it was 64kg luggage and 6 kg carry on.

Neil.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 3:01 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil.b
Brian,
Thats exactly what I was told if you fly with New Zealand airlines, going from UK via Los Angeles. Think it was 64kg luggage and 6 kg carry on.

Neil.

We are flying Air New Zealand from Glasgow to Brisbane, with a stop in LA and Auckland. We have been told that we are permitted 2 x bags that don't weigh more than 32kg as checked baggage. BMI who is flying us from Glasgow to London will honour the baggage limit that Air New Zealand has given us. Well here is hoping anyway cas thats what they said.

Jim
Old Jul 14th 2005, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

brian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the rough

Brian,

Neil.
You're right - 32 kg/bag (64 kgs total for checked baggage). I was thinking 70 because it's 70 lbs/bag if you measure that way. I know that for United at least they don't mention a carry on baggage weight limit, just size restrictions. I'm sure many people carry on bags which weigh much more than 6 kgs!

Cheers,
Brian
Old Jul 14th 2005, 3:22 pm
paradise in the redlands

neil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really nice

You're right - 32 kg/bag (64 kgs total for checked baggage). I was thinking 70 because it's 70 lbs/bag if you measure that way. I know that for United at least they don't mention a carry on baggage weight limit, just size restrictions. I'm sure many people carry on bags which weigh much more than 6 kgs!

Cheers,
Brian
If I watch the size of my carry on, and fill it with gold bullion, I could be making a saving on excess weight.
Heres hoping
Old Jul 14th 2005, 3:27 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,
Brian
Don't think United let you have that amount anymore. Think they have brought it down to about 40 now.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 3:59 pm
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Luggage allowances

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Don't think United let you have that amount anymore. Think they have brought it down to about 40 now.
Dont worry about stuff and things..
You get everything here. And moreover you can get cheaper places to buy.
so keep you mind off for those worries..
Old Jul 14th 2005, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moneypen20
United's web page still says 32 kgs/bag (70 lbs) with 2 bags per person allowed for overseas international flights. Domestic flights (within North America) on United are limited to 2 bags of 23 kgs/bag (50 lbs). Travel originating from London on United has the 32 kg/70 lb limit. Here's the URL:

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51146,00.html

Cheers,
Brian
Old Jul 14th 2005, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

If I watch the size of my carry on, and fill it with gold bullion, I could be making a saving on excess weight.
Heres hoping
I'll put that bullion into my checked luggage for you!
Old Jul 14th 2005, 8:11 pm
FVC
Forum Regular

FVC is a jewel in the roughFVC is a jewel in the roughFVC is a jewel in the roughFVC is a jewel in the roughFVC is a jewel in the rough

Hi, we have just booked our flights today with Singapore Airlines. When we telephoned to enquire about the allowance we were told 40kgs each, we booked the flight on the net but thought we would double check with the airline.

Surprise, surprise the allowance was not 40kgs, it is only this if you go on a permanent migrant visa, we are travelling on a 457.

Anyway, my husdand has complained and they have allowed us 35kgs, which is better than nothing I suppose.

The moral is, always check and double check!
Old Jul 14th 2005, 8:24 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

from somebody that has worked in the long haul travel industry for nearly 20yrs, it depends on which way round you go.

if you go via the east (hong kong/singapore/dubai etc), then it is the kg luggage system. normally 20 kgs (sometimes 23kgs) per person. if you are going on a special migrant one-way fare, this may be doubled to 40kg per person. you have to have your visa so that it can be put on the ticket for this fare.

if you go via the pacific (usa/canada/pacific islands), then it is the piece system. 2 pcs per person (weighing no more than 32kgs each - i.e. 64kgs).
this way round is usually more expensive and takes longer.

double check if you book with an airline going via the east as not all airlines offer a 'migrant fare', and if you want a stopover, they may not let you have this 'migrant fare'.

hope this has cleared up any queries.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 11:49 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

I flew with Emirates and the normal luggage allowance is 20kg. But if you are emmigrating then they allow double ie 40kg I had to show them my copy of emailed visas so make sure you have them to prove that you are actually emmigrating. Unfortunately for me I didn't find out I could have double weight allowance until I was at the airport and checking in my luggage. I have left stuff behind at my mums so now have to pay to get it shipped accross in a box with a shipping comapny which will cost me 60 quid! I can give you the website its voovit.com
Old Jul 15th 2005, 12:48 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zx10r_aus
We are flying Air New Zealand from Glasgow to Brisbane, with a stop in LA and Auckland. We have been told that we are permitted 2 x bags that don't weigh more than 32kg as checked baggage. BMI who is flying us from Glasgow to London will honour the baggage limit that Air New Zealand has given us. Well here is hoping anyway cas thats what they said.

Jim

Never rely on what the airline/travel agent *say* - make sure it's on your ticket or otherwise made clear in writing from the airline.

If going via the US make sure your passports meet US requirements (for the visa waiver). They must be machine readable, and having children on parents passports is a no-no.

Jeremy