Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

luggage allowance

luggage allowance

Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

supersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to all
Default luggage allowance

Hi I am just curious why nearly everyone on here is so stressed out about the luggage allowance you get on the flight over ,paying for the most costly airfare just to have 40kg inthe cargo hold when they can ship everything over for about £100 a cubic metre and get it 2 or 3 months later ,or if they send it a month or two earlier it will be there not long after them.It doesn't make any sense to me at all.
Cheers Lorri
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: luggage allowance

Originally Posted by supersonic4
Hi I am just curious why nearly everyone on here is so stressed out about the luggage allowance you get on the flight over ,paying for the most costly airfare just to have 40kg inthe cargo hold when they can ship everything over for about £100 a cubic metre and get it 2 or 3 months later ,or if they send it a month or two earlier it will be there not long after them.It doesn't make any sense to me at all.
Cheers Lorri
We did not get stressed just email the airline ,they replied saying was ok ...job done

If you have no family or mates to come to not so easy to send stuff ahead, also we found that coz it was winter in UK when we left we had to have winter clothes aswell as summer ones for Aus as you don't want to spend to much when you arrive with no job or home.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 9:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Lorri
Have you emigrated yet? 20 kgs isn't really a lotwhen you are moving across the world to start a new life.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

supersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Have you emigrated yet? 20 kgs isn't really a lotwhen you are moving across the world to start a new life.
It is not a lot but why drag it along as luggage when you can send it by ship? and I moved here to the UK with a little backpack a handbag and that was all.
Never sent anything by ship either,decided to leave a marriage after26 years packed my bag and off over here lol.Left all my stuff,belonging weight you down,
Cheers Lorri
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

dolly1 is a jewel in the roughdolly1 is a jewel in the roughdolly1 is a jewel in the roughdolly1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Hi I had to leave a suitcase at the airport as I was over the allowance - does anyone know a firm that can ship my case its only 25kg and an apporoximate cost. Thanks Dollyxx
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

wannabetherenow is a jewel in the roughwannabetherenow is a jewel in the roughwannabetherenow is a jewel in the roughwannabetherenow is a jewel in the rough

It is not a lot but why drag it along as luggage when you can send it by ship? and I moved here to the UK with a little backpack a handbag and that was all.
Never sent anything by ship either,decided to leave a marriage after26 years packed my bag and off over here lol.Left all my stuff,belonging weight you down,
Cheers Lorri

Thats the attitude!!! good on you!
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wannabetherenow
Thats the attitude!!! good on you!
Best thing I ever did,leave it all behind if you can.I know its harder for people with children to just take a case each ,but like I said they can send it by sea,then get it after they are there,if its winter here they only need the warm clothers they are wearing to get to the airport,won't need them on the plane or when they get there,as for leaving the marriage same deal,don't need no extra baggage lol,but ended up with new hubsand anyway,hence thats why we are heading back over.Must say he is a bit nervous that I will just up and off on him,as I did with number 1, lol poor fella.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dolly1
Hi I had to leave a suitcase at the airport as I was over the allowance - does anyone know a firm that can ship my case its only 25kg and an apporoximate cost. Thanks Dollyxx
Try Excess Baggage - i don't know cost but their website gives an estimate.

http://www.excessbaggage.com/ Then click on air freight or sea freight for prices.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dolly1

try tnt, they do a 7-10 day fly, or emirates sky cargo or something like that.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 6:47 pm
bromley to brisbane

ClareBear is on a distinguished road

I know its harder for people with children to just take a case each ,but like I said they can send it by sea,then get it after they are there
you said it - while this is a great idea pre-children, with a baby in tow it's not possible! every spare gram of weight allowance counts, particularly when there are cots, car seats, prams, bottles etc involved!!! 3 months with a one year old and no toys is A LONG TIME!!!
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

Everyone has different needs and thoughts, but for us we definately need to extra baggage allowance. If it will take a maximum of 14 weeks to ship stuff then we will need hubbies work things to get him started in a job right away, not to mention comforts for the kids.

sj