Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

luggage allowance

luggage allowance

Old Jul 19th 2004, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Manchester UK to Sydney, then decided Gold Coast, stayed there for 8 months and now back in sydney
threlly is on a distinguished road
Default luggage allowance

Am i right in thinking that if u have a permanant visa you can get extra luggage allowance on a flight to OZ. I think i read this on one of these forums, may be worng though, any ideas please.

cheers
Old Jul 19th 2004, 8:12 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: luggage allowance

Originally posted by threlly
Am i right in thinking that if u have a permanant visa you can get extra luggage allowance on a flight to OZ. I think i read this on one of these forums, may be worng though, any ideas please.

cheers
Yes, you get double baggage allowance providing it is a ONE-WAY ticket. I booked my flights through Singapre Airlines in the past couple of days and they told me I could only have the allowance on one-way, if I booked a return they would not give me the extra allowance.

The migrant allowance is 40kg each person.

Good luck !
Old Jul 19th 2004, 8:20 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by irishmolly
Yes, you get double baggage allowance providing it is a ONE-WAY ticket. I booked my flights through Singapre Airlines in the past couple of days and they told me I could only have the allowance on one-way, if I booked a return they would not give me the extra allowance.

Good luck !
Probably a thick question but does this allowance apply to kids that are with you to?
Donna.
Old Jul 19th 2004, 8:21 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, allowance does apply to children travelling. We are 2 adults and 2 kids - 160kg of baggage allowance.
Old Jul 19th 2004, 8:30 pm
Part of that group......

vickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant future
Default luggage allowance

Hiya

We have flights booked through Emeriates and once we had sent them copies of our visa's we were given double allowance. They have re issued our tickets showing the new amount.

I think we will be hard pushed to reach 160K but will give it a good go !!

VickeyVixen
2 weeks till lift off !!
Old Jul 19th 2004, 8:30 pm
4-1,4-1 i love it,love it

Arron is an unknown quantity at this point

HI,
Except for Malaysian

We were/are/might be lucky to get 30kg.

Arron.
Old Jul 19th 2004, 8:31 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by irishmolly
Yes, allowance does apply to children travelling. We are 2 adults and 2 kids - 160kg of baggage allowance.
So now you have to spend the next month doing intensive workouts each day so you've got the muscles to be able to carry it

We've got 45Kg each (2 adults) so am starting my fitness regime now.... :scared:

Anya.
Old Jul 19th 2004, 8:37 pm
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Location: Was Wakefield, Now Bayside,Capalaba, Brisbane since 2004
Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future

Originally posted by anya4oz
So now you have to spend the next month doing intensive workouts each day so you've got the muscles to be able to carry it

We've got 45Kg each (2 adults) so am starting my fitness regime now.... :scared:

Anya.
At Manchester(dont know about other airports)
you are only allowed upto 32kg each case(not person)due to health and safety of the handlers.
:lecture:

Darren
Old Jul 19th 2004, 8:42 pm
PommieLeague

Originally posted by leannefr
At Manchester(dont know about other airports)
you are only allowed upto 32kg each case(not person)due to health and safety of the handlers.
:lecture:

Darren
Singapore have granted me 40kg and they know im flying from Manchester. So what about those in Business class who get about 40kg anyway?

Old Jul 19th 2004, 8:43 pm
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Location: Was Wakefield, Now Bayside,Capalaba, Brisbane since 2004
Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Lathlain
Singapore have granted me 40kg and they know im flying from Manchester. So what about those in Business class who get about 40kg anyway?

you can have 40kg but you would have to have 32kg in one case and 8kg in another or 20/20kg.
Old Jul 19th 2004, 8:55 pm
Graceyg

graceyg is an unknown quantity at this point

30kg with Singapore for a tempo visa, 40 kg each for permanent visa, has to be booked one way.

Children get same allowance as long as you have paid for a seat for them.
If they are going on your lap, i think it's 10-15kg only.
Old Jul 19th 2004, 8:56 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by Lathlain
We're going Biz class - getting the usual 30Kg pp plus an extra 15Kg each for being migrants. Total will be 90Kg for us both!

Will pack it in 4-5 cases, as there's no way I want to injure myself - or the poor airline staff - lifting it. Just bought super- lightweight trolley style cases, which should help.

Anya.
Old Jul 19th 2004, 9:55 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by anya4oz
Anya.
Yeah, keep lifting those extra large bars of chocolate! Don't eat them though, they're for hevs!