Reload this Page >

Luggage Allowance

Luggage Allowance

Old Jul 10th 2004, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

karen p is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Luggage Allowance

There have been various discussions about luggage allowances,
but I was just wondering is the double allowancw only if you have a PR visa?

I don't know if we'll need it, but we might be a little over the 20k allowed per person. Will we end up paying excess or are they (we are travelling with Singapore Airlines) reasonably lenient?

Karen
Old Jul 10th 2004, 12:50 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Luggage Allowance

Originally posted by karen p

I don't know if we'll need it, but we might be a little over the 20k allowed per person. Will we end up paying excess or are they (we are travelling with Singapore Airlines) reasonably lenient?

Karen
I think Biggy had a phone number where she pre arranged it with Singapore airlines Karen, maybe PM her.
Old Jul 10th 2004, 1:35 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Karen

If you have PR its easier - if you have a visa that leads onto PR (like a temp spouse visa) its do-able... apart from that, I doubt it as then you're not immigrating, just going on an extended holiday!

My boyf was 8kg over when he went home in Feb and Thai let him on without charges, think it was a fairly quiet flight though
Old Jul 10th 2004, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

singapore air will allow you 28kg from UK to Oz (and 30kg from Oz to UK, 25kg from Sin-UK)

They only publsih 20kg on their economy tickets.

If you want to double-check, phone the airline and tell them you've got 25kg and you want to know the excess baggage charges are - they'll tell you you'll be OK up to 28kg at no extra charge!
Old Jul 10th 2004, 1:50 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Most of them will allow slightly over (up to about 8kgs), but if the flight is full be prepared to grovel nicely, and try some old tricks - go for the sympathy vote "I'm emigrating and my mummjust bought me a last minute pressie" "Getting maried as soon as I arrive and got given wedding gifts" that kind of thing.
Old Jul 10th 2004, 8:57 pm
Tasmanian Devils

Chris Bailey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We fly 2 weeks today with Singapore Airlines from Manchester.

I spoke to the Singapore Airlines desk a few weeks ago reference baggage allowance when emmigrating.

I was told that I could take 40kg and 7kg hand luggage.

But I intend to confirm next week also just to make sure.
I will let you know what they say

Christine
Old Jul 10th 2004, 9:03 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Karen
[email protected]

Here you go. Very prompt replies by email and then you have it in B & W!

Max
Old Jul 10th 2004, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

Gryff is an unknown quantity at this point

Karen
luggage allownance

In this thread is the correspondance we had with Singapore Airlines. We are on a 4yr temporary visa..but we got the 40kgs...in fact in the end we got more as when we weighed in we were another 30kg's over. They were fab and turned a blind eye and even held our luggage in Singapore for us (we stayed over for a night.

Good luck
Old Jul 10th 2004, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Gryff is an unknown quantity at this point

whoops gave u wrong thread...but there is a link in the one i gave u to the right one......sorry
Old Jul 11th 2004, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

trainee_pilot will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Gryff
whoops gave u wrong thread...but there is a link in the one i gave u to the right one......sorry
having a blonde moment there were u Gryff?
Old Jul 11th 2004, 7:52 pm
Thinking of returning

mattyd is an unknown quantity at this point

We are in the process of trying to book a flight with Singapore. We have already been out to Oz to validate, after informing them of this they stated that it means we have already emigrated so we are not entitled to 40KG's. They said they could offer us 30Kg's without having to ask but if we needed the 40Kg's we would have to write to the manager (which we have) and he would have the authorization to give it or not.

Last time we flew the girl at the check in told us that they would let anyone check a 30Kg bag in without charge. So fingers crossed and will let you know the outcome!!!

Matty D