Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lugage allowance with Sigapore on a 457 Visa ? Anyone

Lugage allowance with Sigapore on a 457 Visa ? Anyone

Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:31 pm
UK to Brissy - August 07

smoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nice
Default Lugage allowance with Sigapore on a 457 Visa ? Anyone

Hi

Does anyone know what the allowance is for 457 visa holders, is the allowance different from PR visa.

Cheers
Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Flapper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lugage allowance with Sigapore on a 457 Visa ? Anyone

Originally Posted by smoggieswilltravel
Hi

Does anyone know what the allowance is for 457 visa holders, is the allowance different from PR visa.

Cheers
I recently posted this question on Aussiemove forum, and with Singapore airlines, as we are soon to head for Perth on a 457 visa, and apparently you are not entitled to the 40kg allowance. They may well however waive the 5kg excess 'buffer' allowance, giving you 25kg each. Not a lot more, but at least you won't need to pack much clothing! Check the replies i had from people who have recently emigrated on the 457.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 9:48 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flapper
I recently posted this question on Aussiemove forum, and with Singapore airlines, as we are soon to head for Perth on a 457 visa, and apparently you are not entitled to the 40kg allowance. They may well however waive the 5kg excess 'buffer' allowance, giving you 25kg each. Not a lot more, but at least you won't need to pack much clothing! Check the replies i had from people who have recently emigrated on the 457.
457 is not a permanent residency visa and therefore doesn't fit the criteria for extra baggage, unless you are very lucky.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 10:29 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

I called Singapore Airways London office and they gave us a 30 Kg limit each for all 5 of us on a 457. Took more than one phone call!
Getting it in writing is important.
In the end, we ended up with 190 Kg of luggage, 2 car seats and a buggy. No dramas at all.
But, as Polly says, a lot is down to luck with getting the increased allowance and then getting a nice person when you check in!

Andrew
Old Jul 5th 2007, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

BIDERCLAN is just really niceBIDERCLAN is just really niceBIDERCLAN is just really niceBIDERCLAN is just really niceBIDERCLAN is just really niceBIDERCLAN is just really niceBIDERCLAN is just really niceBIDERCLAN is just really nice

Hi

I flew May this year with Singapore - I was told before I flew that 20kg was the max(usually allowance) there is a 5kg leaway that has already been mentioned. When I arrived at the airport (Manchester) I knew I was overweight and decided to 'wing it' - In the end my bag was 32kg! She was going to charge me - but after showing her the 457 paperwork she said that she would allow the 32kg without charge, but if I were to travel again within the next year then they would be very thigh on my allowance - what ever that means!

Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute

I was allowed 30kg but this was after 3 e-mails (no joy) and one phone call.
When I got to the airport, I was slightly over but after telling them we were emigrating they didnt charge us.

Fab airline to fly with by the way.........

Lou
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:42 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

You must ring them of your situation. We got more allowance through pleading with them. Sometimes it works!!
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:32 am
UK to Brissy - August 07

smoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nice

Hi

Thanks for all the info, did you have flights already booked and then made the begging phone calls or did you try and get the allowance oked and then book the flights. We're going on a 457 but have PR visa applaiction in so have no plans to return.

Cheers
Old Jul 5th 2007, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

BIDERCLAN is just really niceBIDERCLAN is just really niceBIDERCLAN is just really niceBIDERCLAN is just really niceBIDERCLAN is just really niceBIDERCLAN is just really niceBIDERCLAN is just really niceBIDERCLAN is just really nice

I tried all the phone call thing, before,during and after booking the flights, travel agent also tried on my behalf. In the end turning up at the airport and looking all pathetic worked for me!

Old Jul 6th 2007, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

We managed to get a 30kg/person allowance but were way over this when we turned up at Heathrow. Before we left home I completed the internet checkin but also checked how busy the flight was. My first question at check in was How busy is the flight and also mentioned that we were emigrating hence the amount of luggage. We checked in nearly 90kg of luggage and we only had a 70kg allowance, 30 per adult plus 10 for our baby.