Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Low Cost Routes to Oz.... £260 0ne way!!

Low Cost Routes to Oz.... £260 0ne way!!

Old Jul 23rd 2007, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Low Cost Routes to Oz.... £260 0ne way!!

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
Just doing a bit or research for flights.....
Anyone flown Oasis Air to HongKong? They are flying to HK for as little as £165.00 (feb 2008)
Then a Jet Star flight to Singapore for £32.00 (feb 2008)
Then a Tiger Air flight to get me home to Perth £63.00 (feb 2008)

So I make that £260.00 one way, which I didn't think was too bad.
I just rang Trailfinders in the the UK and they had....
Emirates Airlines £513.00 (one way)
Singapore Airlines $612.00 (one way)

I admit it's a bit of messing about and there may be a delay between the connection of the Jet Star and Tiger Air flight, but if your on a tight budget, it may be worth a look.

Anyone flown this route or considered it??? Have I missed something????
Comments welcome

We considered it, the hong kong to gatwick bit came up fine, cheap and seats, but of course leaving australia presented more of a problem cheapest seat bris to hong kong were around the $1400 but we wanted christmas time, another poster did book the fare but still cost them $1200 from bris to hong kong.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 4:56 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting

I've just amused my husband by telling him we could save about $3K NZD when we (family of four) have to take a trip to the UK next year by flying return:

Auck- Gold coast $1,474.60
GC- mel $440.55
mel- singapore $2439.29
sing- HK $1153.95
HK- UK $2505.96

Of course we'd probably need to allow a day between flights because of the potential for delays, which means the trip would take five days plus the (cheap) hotel costs.

But the idea of linking up budget airlines I like very much Will be doing some more snooping about, cheers!
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Very interesting

I've just amused my husband by telling him we could save about $3K NZD when we (family of four) have to take a trip to the UK next year by flying return:

Auck- Gold coast $1,474.60
GC- mel $440.55
mel- singapore $2439.29
sing- HK $1153.95
HK- UK $2505.96

Of course we'd probably need to allow a day between flights because of the potential for delays, which means the trip would take five days plus the (cheap) hotel costs.

But the idea of linking up budget airlines I like very much Will be doing some more snooping about, cheers!

What airlines doing mel - singers around the $600, have yet to find any seats anywhere near that price, or was that plus taxes which here are a killer
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by themerlin
I agree. I think it's ok for a backpacker/student or a couple who don't mind waiting around at airports for hours on end.

But saying that as more low cost airlines come on line then the connection times and routes will improve.
I would personally walk/swim from Hong Kong to Singapore than fly with Jetstar after our Sydney to Christchurch flight.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:42 am
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a friend who did something like this a few years back as a cheap way of getting from London to Sydney - they said they saved a couple of hundred quid by going with cheap airlines over a number of journeys!

BUT, she did say that the additional time waiting around airports, money spent on food (because you were not fed on the flights and airport food ain't cheap) and entertainment (internet terminals, coffee, newspapers, magazines etc) meant that at the end of the day she had only saved a very small amount over using one of the larger carriers and she really wishes she could get back the three days she spent sitting around airport terminals.

Sounds like good fun if you like your own company and have a few days to kill...

Also, you might end up on "SECONDS FROM DISASTER" on Discovery Channel